E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-10-2011, 11:20 PM   #1
gymkhana

My Ride: 2003 330i zhp
Best diy since cdv delete! E46 key swap to e90

Its finally time for me to contribute to the fanatics. Heres a quick diy that i came up with all by myself (and it definitely deserves a gold star)
How to swap your p.o.s. e46 diamond key into a super sweet e90 flip key.

Step 1. Buy a e90 key from ebay, i bought mine for $20 w shipping.
Step 2. Cut your diamond keys seam so you can take out the rfid chip.
Step 3. Take the brushed cover off the e90 key and remove the four screws then open it up. There will be two plastic prongs in the middle and you need to cut them off so the shell is somewhat flush.
Take your diamond keys rfid chip and lay it inside the new shell. The plastic prongs on the side should line it up perfectly for the buttons to be pushed. The only thing is the case is a little too deep for the chip so i used the foam that was supplied with the new key to keep the chip firmly in place.
Step 4. Put the key case back together and remember to wind up the spring beneath the flip key (very obvious how to do this) and test it on your car. Mine worked first try. Just make sure to ground your body before handling the chip by touching bare metal and try not to touch anything but the green plastic on the chip. If all is good, your ready to get your key cut ( i havent done that yet but i dont foresee any issues)
And voila! You now have the second best key possible (second only to mine, the first known key swap)
Sorry i didnt take any pictures of the internals yet, i thought about doing this diy after i got done, plus im doing this from my phone so excuse any issues like spelling please.
If you guys are interested, i can go into more detail but this is a easy project so you probably wont need much more.
Please leave a comment if you liked or appreciated this diy and as always, donations and business propisitions are appreciated.
Enjoy your new key
gymkhana is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 12-10-2011, 11:39 PM   #2
CSL323

My Ride: '05 330Cic
Send a message via Skype™ to CSL323
Well done!

2005 BMW 330Cic Individual
CSL323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:42 PM   #3
CroVlado

My Ride: 2004 MB BMW M3
Send a message via AIM to CroVlado
Great job!!

But... I prefer my key over this

| 04 Mystic Blue M3 | 07 White R6 |

MY LAGUNA SECA BLUE INTERIOR DYE PROJECT
CroVlado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:17 AM   #4
ZHud3

My Ride: black 323Ci
how will the charging work?

2000 323Ci
1992 325is Sold ):
1984 325e
ZHud3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 12:38 AM   #5
gymkhana

Frankly i dont think there was a charging unit in either key because there was no connection to the battery which is weird bc in my manual it stated that its important to charge both keys on a regular basis.. so i call bs on bmw for that one. Ive never seen a e46 key thats charged via the ignition. Tisk tisk
Old 12-11-2011, 01:00 AM   #6
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by gymkhana View Post
Frankly i dont think there was a charging unit in either key because there was no connection to the battery which is weird bc in my manual it stated that its important to charge both keys on a regular basis.. so i call bs on bmw for that one. Ive never seen a e46 key thats charged via the ignition. Tisk tisk
All the diamond keys are recharged while the engine is running.
Have seen people retrofitting a non re-chargeable battery.

However, a very nice DIY. Lets see it in detail, the battery is completely gone in one of my keys, so might as well swap the internals to e90 key when I cut it open to replace the battery.
Old 12-11-2011, 01:10 AM   #7
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Have a flip key on my Rover and hate it. Will stick to the "cheap" diamond key

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 02:50 AM   #8
gymkhana

TRJ- i dont think all the keys are rechargeable. There is no way either of the two diamond keys i have can do that. The battery and rfid are completely sealed off from the outside world, so unless the charge wirelesly, its not possible. Not for these keys atleast.

Also, to the person who says flip keys suck, i ask, why? Did you have one break on you ? Bc this flip key is superior to my diamond in every way.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:22 AM   #9
JS330

My Ride: '01 330Ci 3 Pedals
Quote:
TRJ- i dont think all the keys are rechargeable. There is no way either of the two diamond keys i have can do that. The battery and rfid are completely sealed off from the outside world, so unless the charge wirelesly, its not possible. Not for these keys atleast.
wow stupidity at a new low, have you ever heard of inductive charging

yes our cars are 10 years old but this technology has been around for a long time.

"Inductive charging uses an electromagnetic field to transfer energy between two objects. This is usually done with a charging station. Energy is sent through inductive coupling to an electrical device, which then can use that energy to charge batteries.

Because there is a small gap between the two coils employed in each of the sender and receiver of the energy within the respective devices, inductive charging is considered a short-distance "wireless" energy transfer" - wikipedia

So yes, WIRELESS CHARGING

that is the coil that the electro magnetism induces a charge from

and IMHO your "new' key looks POS

Last edited by JS330; 12-11-2011 at 03:24 AM.
JS330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:25 AM   #10
kaboo0m

My Ride: 04 325xi
Send a message via AIM to kaboo0m
That is so not how an e90 key looks like

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Bimmer
kaboo0m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 03:52 AM   #11
gymkhana

Thx jaryd, i may jave misphrased what i meant although thats no ground for insulting people. Im just trying to share something that made me happy, no need for bashing, unless you were beaten as a child for making your parents divorce, in which case, there IS a need. So i understand where your coming from and want you to know, its ok.
Thanks for the pic and the plagiarism.
Old 12-11-2011, 04:26 AM   #12
JS330

My Ride: '01 330Ci 3 Pedals
Quote:
Thx jaryd, i may jave misphrased what i meant although thats no ground for insulting people. Im just trying to share something that made me happy, no need for bashing, unless you were beaten as a child for making your parents divorce, in which case, there IS a need. So i understand where your coming from and want you to know, its ok.
Thanks for the pic and the plagiarism.
Im sorry i was just giving my honest opinion and stating what the manual graphically defines. Growing up in a tight knit family who all live in the same street really gave me a wide view of the world which has bettered by positive upbringing.

Bringing up this assumption of a detrimental upbringing out of the blue on an automotive dedicated forum really does cause me wonder what influenced this completely off topic response whether it was an anecdotal reference i am truly sorry for me assessing this or a drastic conjecture of insecureness.

In all honesty i think that this is far off topic and would much prefer this post to return back to the main focus of the forum, that being the e46 bmw

p.s there is not plagiarism hence the wikipedia reference to the quoted material
JS330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 05:38 AM   #13
Don B

My Ride: 325i (RHD)
Cool idea, but any E9x key I've seen doesn't have a flip...the whole key just sits
in the slot, and the start button is pressed.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:30 AM   #14
trj

My Ride: 325Ci
Thanks for clearing up the charging part jarryd. So it means the battery will charge if I put the cuts in the other key box, isn't it?
Will have to think whether to do go with this or new diamond key box.
My spare key looks like it has been chewed on, that is the reason I wanted to change the housing on it when I change the battery.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:14 PM   #15
delmarco

My Ride: 330i
Send a message via ICQ to delmarco Send a message via Yahoo to delmarco
Is this an April Fools joke?

What you got there doesn't look like any E90 key I've ever seen!?

This is an E90 key!

Do you have better pictures of the finished product in-car?

VISIT MY GARAGE TO SEE ALL MY MODS:

http://directory.e46fanatics.com/use...rMod&UcId=7917

Last edited by delmarco; 12-11-2011 at 12:21 PM.
delmarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #16
Tate325xi

My Ride: 325xi & CLK55 AMG
I have an E90, and the key looks nothing like that. It isn't flip, its a fob that is inserted into a slot below the starter button.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 217Bimmer View Post
sometimes i'm into it and my one hand gets tired, i try switching, but then it's like someone with lou gehrig's trying to peel a carrot.

Last edited by Tate325xi; 12-13-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Tate325xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:35 PM   #17
bmwmen

My Ride: E46 323Ci
This looks soooo cheap! Good that you did it, but definitely not an E90 key.
bmwmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 02:46 PM   #18
chorizo

My Ride: E3SIXXX///
trollllllllolololol
can i swap a 3.0 out of a bmw 2002 325 into a 1997 528 series
chorizo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #19
naeem002000

My Ride: E46 99 328i
Quote:
Its finally time for me to contribute to the fanatics. Heres a quick diy that i came up with all by myself (and it definitely deserves a gold star)
How to swap your p.o.s. e46 diamond key into a super sweet e90 flip key.

Step 1. Buy a e90 key from ebay, i bought mine for $20 w shipping.
Step 2. Cut your diamond keys seam so you can take out the rfid chip.
Step 3. Take the brushed cover off the e90 key and remove the four screws then open it up. There will be two plastic prongs in the middle and you need to cut them off so the shell is somewhat flush.
Take your diamond keys rfid chip and lay it inside the new shell. The plastic prongs on the side should line it up perfectly for the buttons to be pushed. The only thing is the case is a little too deep for the chip so i used the foam that was supplied with the new key to keep the chip firmly in place.
Step 4. Put the key case back together and remember to wind up the spring beneath the flip key (very obvious how to do this) and test it on your car. Mine worked first try. Just make sure to ground your body before handling the chip by touching bare metal and try not to touch anything but the green plastic on the chip. If all is good, your ready to get your key cut ( i havent done that yet but i dont foresee any issues)
And voila! You now have the second best key possible (second only to mine, the first known key swap)
Sorry i didnt take any pictures of the internals yet, i thought about doing this diy after i got done, plus im doing this from my phone so excuse any issues like spelling please.
If you guys are interested, i can go into more detail but this is a easy project so you probably wont need much more.
Please leave a comment if you liked or appreciated this diy and as always, donations and business propisitions are appreciated.
Enjoy your new key

naeem002000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 03:25 PM   #20
shellback

My Ride: BMW
That's a 16GB USB
shellback is offline   Reply With Quote