E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-11-2006, 01:06 AM   #21
vic32amg

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG Topaz
I believe that for the Z1 you will need the 7" bezel which is different than mine, Also it takes longer to make. But it's all worth it if it look clean. everyone who has seen my unit latley has been WOWed. talk to rich @ mybimmer.net. His work is qaulity. Also it's just a face cover tha matches up with the cage for the OEM radio. you will need to modify the OEM cage to work with your unit. Some of the links I posted show different ways of going about it.

thanks
Vic
vic32amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:27 AM   #22
3onDubs

My Ride: no
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
Remember, don't program the R/T button. It activates whenever you turn on the ignition. I had it switch the source and got REALLY annoying.
I am currently having this annoyance and havn't had the cance to reprogram it yet.
3onDubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:47 AM   #23
redbmwm3

My Ride: 2000 323ci
Thanks Vic, I order the bezel from Rich already. thanks again.
redbmwm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 11:27 PM   #24
Wickedflava

My Ride: 2006 M3, 1999 Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976
This really isn't that hard.

I have a 5435 and the SWI-ECL...couldn't get it to work. Probably just me. Remember, don't program the R/T button. It activates whenever you turn on the ignition. I had it switch the source and got REALLY annoying.
I just had the same problem ... I think....

basically when I press the r/t button it sometimes turns the unit off and sometimes the volum up and down don't work..., is this related to the button?

so basically you just skipped that step and only used the volum up/down & track up/down?

and what version number did you program the pac interface for (I have a 06 model and used version 5)?
Wickedflava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:32 AM   #25
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
I used program 5.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2006, 11:34 AM   #26
3onDubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickedflava
I just had the same problem ... I think....

basically when I press the r/t button it sometimes turns the unit off and sometimes the volum up and down don't work..., is this related to the button?

so basically you just skipped that step and only used the volum up/down & track up/down?

and what version number did you program the pac interface for (I have a 06 model and used version 5)?
No....the problem isn't with pressing the r/t button...that part works like it's supposed to each and every time. The problem is that our cars send a test signal to the r/t button at startup. As a result, the pac-swi thinks that the button was pressed and it preforms the action associated with that button press. This gets annoying because the source ends up switching everytime u start your car.

Aside from track up/down, vol up/down, you can also program that tiny button underneath the r/t. I have mine set as a mute function. I was actually thinking that it would function better as a pause/play button, but i'll get to that when i reprogram mine to take out the r/t function.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:00 PM   #27
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3onDubs
No....the problem isn't with pressing the r/t button...that part works like it's supposed to each and every time. The problem is that our cars send a test signal to the r/t button at startup. As a result, the pac-swi thinks that the button was pressed and it preforms the action associated with that button press. This gets annoying because the source ends up switching everytime u start your car.

Aside from track up/down, vol up/down, you can also program that tiny button underneath the r/t. I have mine set as a mute function. I was actually thinking that it would function better as a pause/play button, but i'll get to that when i reprogram mine to take out the r/t function.
If you have the SWI-ECL, you can only program track up/down, volume up/down and mode.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:08 PM   #28
sylviera9

My Ride: 2002 330xi
how is the A/C working
sylviera9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 01:04 AM   #29
vic32amg

My Ride: 2003 M3 SMG Topaz
I am installing the Eclipse steering wheel interface this weekend - will do a DIY.

...... also I have a pac swi X for sell - brand new - 40 bucks shipped.
vic32amg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 09:18 AM   #30
3onDubs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylviera9 View Post
how is the A/C working
Mine is working as it did before the operation.
Old 01-27-2007, 01:58 PM   #31
Disco_Monkey

My Ride: 06 E46 M3 ZCP 6MT
Great DIY!

Thanks. I have never worked on a BMW so is a big help. Now I just need to order the relocation bracket and I am good to go!
Old 01-28-2007, 01:59 PM   #32
JSanders

My Ride: Breaks too often
Since that wire in the ashtray isnt hooked up now, does the cigarette lighter still work?
JSanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 12:36 PM   #33
Flyguy737

My Ride: 2004 330i ZHP
Check the part number for your particular car. I used his but after running my VIN the dealler said ineeded a different one. Great write up.
Flyguy737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2007, 08:14 PM   #34
sakman74
Banned

My Ride: M3 Coupe
so can someone post pics or tell more detail on how to actually mod the vent flap ? i have this install coming up in a few days and want to retain air to the feet, or at least let it work properly when the button is pressed.

got an audio shop doing this for me and they've never done it before for the e46, but i showed them what's going on on that duct....

thanks.....
sakman74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 11:53 PM   #35
BLK BLUR

My Ride: 335i,modena,titan cc
Good write up I'm gonna need this when i put a navi on my on
Old 11-13-2007, 03:27 PM   #36
OMEN

My Ride: 2002 325ti..........
Thanks Vic

This is one Idiot that will be using your write up off the weekend to install a double din.
OMEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2007, 11:58 PM   #37
ZimZimma24

My Ride: 2006 325 Ci
Send a message via Skype™ to ZimZimma24
Quote:
Originally Posted by sakman74 View Post
so can someone post pics or tell more detail on how to actually mod the vent flap ? i have this install coming up in a few days and want to retain air to the feet, or at least let it work properly when the button is pressed.

got an audio shop doing this for me and they've never done it before for the e46, but i showed them what's going on on that duct....

thanks.....
^ This guy never got a response and I've read about 10 posts so far on this topic (thanks Rich for posting links from your website) and have not yet seen an answer to this. Best I've heard was "you can do this, or you can do that...it's your choice" but nothing more.

What are the repercussions for doing this mod? I'm contemplating whether I should do this mod myself or have my local audio shop do it, however, I'm not sure how much experience they've had on an E46 (they seem pretty confident, though). I don't know how to word this properly but bottom line is, I have big hands and a stocky build (for lack of a better description without hurting my feelings, lol, j/k) so when it comes to reaching in to tight places and crawling under the steering column, it's a bit of a struggle and rather annoying to say the least. I also tend to break things as a result of not knowing when to stop applying pressure to a stressed piece of plastic (the f**ker should just come off!! ). As a result, I'm more inclined to pay someone else (who's "a professional") to do all stereo installations.

I just want to relocate the darn climate controls and retain all AC/ventalation functionality as if nothing was installed. If anyone can just explain this process and tell us "what's the worst that could happen", that'd be awesome!

Thx fellaz/ladeez
ZimZimma24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 12:24 AM   #38
ZimZimma24

My Ride: 2006 325 Ci
Send a message via Skype™ to ZimZimma24
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimZimma24 View Post
^ This guy never got a response and I've read about 10 posts so far on this topic (thanks Rich for posting links from your website) and have not yet seen an answer to this. Best I've heard was "you can do this, or you can do that...it's your choice" but nothing more.

What are the repercussions for doing this mod? I'm contemplating whether I should do this mod myself or have my local audio shop do it, however, I'm not sure how much experience they've had on an E46 (they seem pretty confident, though). I don't know how to word this properly but bottom line is, I have big hands and a stocky build (for lack of a better description without hurting my feelings, lol, j/k) so when it comes to reaching in to tight places and crawling under the steering column, it's a bit of a struggle and rather annoying to say the least. I also tend to break things as a result of not knowing when to stop applying pressure to a stressed piece of plastic (the f**ker should just come off!! ). As a result, I'm more inclined to pay someone else (who's "a professional") to do all stereo installations.

I just want to relocate the darn climate controls and retain all AC/ventalation functionality as if nothing was installed. If anyone can just explain this process and tell us "what's the worst that could happen", that'd be awesome!

Thx fellaz/ladeez
Answered my own question...see post #19!!

Okay, now I can sleep!
ZimZimma24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 01:31 AM   #39
ThisFlyGuy
OEM ///Member

My Ride: A Car
look awesome...great writeup
Old 11-15-2007, 02:53 PM   #40
HighVoltage

My Ride: 2007 335i
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZimZimma24 View Post
Answered my own question...see post #19!!

Okay, now I can sleep!

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ght=floor+vent

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
HighVoltage is offline   Reply With Quote