E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-20-2014, 12:23 AM   #1
mikesjo

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Front Turn Signal and HID question

New E46 owner here coming from an E30 318is.

I just replaced the front turn signal on my 2002 330ci but the housing isn't sitting flush with the headlight and I can still wiggle the housing with the screw screwed all the way down (mine has the screw to release the latch on the turn signal). Everything is tight and snug on the opposite side of the car.

What's the secret? I tried backing off on the screw a bit but the housing still remains loose but it does become flush with the headlight. It's annoying. What's the secret?

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	550756

Second question is in regards to the HIDs. I found this orange (heat sink?) looking thing wrapped around a wire and I'm wondering if this is stock on the 2002 E46s? Is this part of the HID system and is it stock? I didn't get to ask the previous owner about the head lights.

Click image for larger version

Name:	unnamed-1.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	550757

Thanks!
mikesjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:51 AM   #2
cityjohn

My Ride: 2001 M3
I've heard there's a way to loosen the whole headlamp assembly and while it's halfway out you can install the corner light.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:05 AM   #3
mikesjo

That sounds like a lot more work than what I just did. My question is how to re-install the side indictor so it sits flush and doesn't wobble when I touch it.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:31 AM   #4
sh00th00ps

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i
I had the same issue with my facelift turn signals. Not sure if yours is misaligning for the same reason, but for me, there was a little washer that is supposed to sit on the top of the guide that the corners slide into and it got loose and would fall to the bottom. If I insert the lights on top of the washer, it doesn't sit flush with the headlights, so I try and hold the washer up and slide the corner light in and screw it down. Not sure if that makes any sense though, kind of hard to explain
Old 03-20-2014, 02:09 AM   #5
mikesjo

I know what you're talking about, the metal washer right? I thought it was suppose to go under the guide since looking at the opposite side I don't see the metal portion on the top side of the guide. I think your car might be a bit different since it's a sedan and I'm driving a coupe?
Old 03-20-2014, 02:14 AM   #6
sh00th00ps

My Ride: 2005 BMW 330i
Yea I think we're talking about the same thing. And yea sorry not too familiar with the coupe corners, for mine, the washer goes on top of the corner U shaped piece of metal. Maybe someone with a prefacelift coupe can chime in here.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:48 AM   #7
mikesjo

Hopefully they can!
Old 03-20-2014, 08:48 AM   #8
markusmarkus

My Ride: 2001 330Ci
I just replaced the driver's side turn signal assembly a couple of weeks ago. The keys to getting the assembly installed properly are:

1. Make sure the 2 vertical tabs on the back are properly aligned with the slots on the car. I had a real problem installing the assembly until I realized the lower tab was not going into the lower slot.
2. Keep the assembly at the same horizontal angle it will be once it's properly installed. Sounds weird, but think of it as if you had pulled the factory installed assembly straight out from the car. I had a problem with this-the assembly wouldn't sit flush until I realized I was rotating the assembly towards the right (when viewed from the front). Once I made sure I wasn't rotating it as I inserted it the assembly went straight in.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
markusmarkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:28 AM   #9
mikesjo

Lower slot eh? I'll have to look again. Was yours the screw type or push down type to release the housing?
Old 03-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #10
Nor'easter

My Ride: 2003 330i
I recently changed my front indicator, and encountered something similar. The problem for me was that the plastic "tongue" that the mounting screw tightens to was brittle from the constant cold weather and part of it snapped. Inspect the entire side light assembly for cracks and breaks.

Other than that, you can try to shim it tight with washers as suggested above, or ignore it since it seems to fit ok. As long as it doesn't rattle at speed I would say just live with it.

Oh also, check the seal on the trim piece that runs across the bottom of the headlight lens. While I don't think this would cause any issues other than water leaking in, you never know.

I hope this helps.
Nor'easter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:01 PM   #11
Cavi Mike

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
The orange "heat sink looking thing" is a resistor. It's there to fool the LCM into thinking there are regular incandescent bulbs in the corner markers. DON'T put regular bulbs in there. If the LED's fail for whatever reason, only put another LED bulb in there.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:58 PM   #12
mikesjo

The previous owner put led in the low beams so I guess the heat sinks are meant for that. Thanks for the heads up cabinet mike.