E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-19-2014, 10:17 PM   #1
peleke4

My Ride: 2003 bmw 330ci
$1000 to fix an intermittent xenon passenger side light?

Hello Everyone,

I have a 2003 BMW 330CI. The issue is an intermittent xenon passenger side headlight. For the most part, the xenon is dead, but does come on sometimes. This has been going on the past several years. Strangely, during warmer weather, the xenon light would work more consistently.

I brought it to my mechanic and he found that merely changing the bulb had no effect. Upon further inspection, he advised the following:

"There's an issue with the igniter and there's also a control unit. They are replaceable separately although having said that to replace either one of them or both of them requires removal and disassembly of that whole headlight unit. So from a labor standpoint it's certainly better to do them both at the same time. It appears that the control unit is working okay. Labor alone to whether I'm replacing the igniter or the control unit, the labor alone is 294.00. So basically if I was to replace the igniter only you'd be at about $ 497.00 for the igniter only. But like I say that does not replace the control unit as well which that could go bad as well. To replace them both at the same time which certainly is a labor savings because you're doing both parts at the same time, then you're looking at about $1005.00 parts and labor to do them both at the same time. The issue is that the headlight has to be taken apart to do either of them or both of them certainly."

I'd appreciate any feedback about this. Thank you

Last edited by peleke4; 03-19-2014 at 10:19 PM.
peleke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 03-19-2014, 10:28 PM   #2
MercForHire

My Ride: 323Ci 5 Speed Black
The labour for this is half hour tops.
I installed a whole headlight for around 30 min.

Check here:
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=470061
MercForHire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:30 PM   #3
Zell

My Ride: '02 Dogemobile Shibe
You likely just need a new ballast. Swap ballasts from each side and see if it works on the non-working side. If it doesn't, swap the ignitors and see if it works, and there's your answer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by l0e3o7 View Post
Just keep your lil boy zell on a leash; a proud self proclaimed TROLL
Zell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:43 PM   #4
Benny Minn

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
I would not pay anywhere near that much money for what they're proposing. It would be cheaper to replace the whole headlight unit with a good used one. A new ignitor should cost around $100, and while the headlight assembly does have to come out, you don't have to disassemble the whole thing to do the replacement.
Old 03-20-2014, 08:08 AM   #5
peleke4

My Ride: 2003 bmw 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny Minn View Post
I would not pay anywhere near that much money for what they're proposing. It would be cheaper to replace the whole headlight unit with a good used one. A new ignitor should cost around $100, and while the headlight assembly does have to come out, you don't have to disassemble the whole thing to do the replacement.
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Isn't this like if a DVD player breaks, might as well just buy an entirely new DVD player because the costs to fix it would be about the same price of a new?

I feel I'd be able to save quite a bit of $$ buying a used headlight and installing it myself. How much do used headlights usually go for?
peleke4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 08:27 AM   #6
ac_2007

My Ride: 2004 M3, 2001 325i
LOL.

I got a headgasket replaced/head machined for $700.
And your mechanic is asking $1005 for a fracking igniter/ballast replacement?

This can be a sub $100 job. Taking out the headlight is simple if you own hands and a fisher price toolkit.
Go to your local wrecker, or find a part out, and replace both for your peace of mind.
ac_2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #7
mcm1209
OEM ///Member

My Ride: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by peleke4 View Post
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Isn't this like if a DVD player breaks, might as well just buy an entirely new DVD player because the costs to fix it would be about the same price of a new?

I feel I'd be able to save quite a bit of $$ buying a used headlight and installing it myself. How much do used headlights usually go for?
Your headlight assembly is not the problem.
Just replace the ballast and be done with it. Everything that involves the function of the light is outside the assembly.
mcm1209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 11:20 AM   #8
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
just buy some good used parts and do it yourself
Old 03-20-2014, 11:38 AM   #9
Brinkley

My Ride: 99 328i, 07 z4 3.0
The headlights really are easy to pull off. I learned this when I decided to pull one off rather than struggle with the power steering connections anymore. Please do not pay $1000 for this job.
Old 03-20-2014, 12:12 PM   #10
aftCG

My Ride: 330i
You were about to be reamed by a mechanic. The job is easy enough it is on par with paying someone to do your laundry and cook your dinner.

For future reference, an intermittent light can be diagnosed by swapping the bulbs left for right. If the problem changes to the other headlight it is the bulb (mine had this problem). If the problem stays in the same place it is the ballast.

You need an 8mm socket on an extension to remove the four screws that hold the headlight into the car. It slides straight out the front and you can reach the ballast on the bottom of the headlight assembly. You don't even have to disconnect the wires on the back of the headlight to slide it out (I just did my headlight washer last weekend so this job is still fresh in my mind).

As pointed out above: hands, fischer price tool kit and sub $100. Part of an afternoon if you're meticulous.
aftCG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:57 PM   #11
Cavi Mike

My Ride: 2000 328Ci
Send a message via AIM to Cavi Mike Send a message via MSN to Cavi Mike Send a message via Yahoo to Cavi Mike
*spends time on internet complaining about mechanic charges instead of asking how to repair problem*
Old 03-20-2014, 01:07 PM   #12
Benny Minn

My Ride: 2004 325xiT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavi Mike View Post
*spends time on internet complaining about mechanic charges instead of asking how to repair problem*
I don't think OP has wrenching skills. I think he's just looking to not get robbed by a shop.