E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-31-2017, 05:25 PM   #1
Bob_B

My Ride: 2005 330XI
Low beam bixenon bulb replacement?

My 2005 330XI right low beam is flickering a bit and is noticeably purplish compared to the left low beam (which has no flicker). Seems to me that says it's bulb replacement time. I read a few posts and viewed a few youtube videos on how to do it, which doesn't seem difficult. I was hoping, however, to avoid taking out the headlamp assembly to replace the low beam D2S bulb. This afternoon I tried to remove the dust cap cover over the low beam bixenon light, and found I couldn't easily take off the cap because several brown electrical wires immediately behind the cap prevented it from moving a sufficient distance to unlatch. I didn't force things and left it be for now.

So my question comes down to how much force can I apply when taking the cap off? Are those electrical wires pretty flexible, flexible enough to move out of the way? If need be, I am prepared to take apart the headlamp assembly, but as I said, I don't want to if it can be avoided without damage to the car or my fingers.

Thanks for your help.

Bob
Bob_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-31-2017, 06:09 PM   #2
niklecce123

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_B View Post
My 2005 330XI right low beam is flickering a bit and is noticeably purplish compared to the left low beam (which has no flicker). Seems to me that says it's bulb replacement time. I read a few posts and viewed a few youtube videos on how to do it, which doesn't seem difficult. I was hoping, however, to avoid taking out the headlamp assembly to replace the low beam D2S bulb. This afternoon I tried to remove the dust cap cover over the low beam bixenon light, and found I couldn't easily take off the cap because several brown electrical wires immediately behind the cap prevented it from moving a sufficient distance to unlatch. I didn't force things and left it be for now.

So my question comes down to how much force can I apply when taking the cap off? Are those electrical wires pretty flexible, flexible enough to move out of the way? If need be, I am prepared to take apart the headlamp assembly, but as I said, I don't want to if it can be avoided without damage to the car or my fingers.

Thanks for your help.

Bob
You can replace it without anything breaking. It's kinda annoying but very possible.
niklecce123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:03 PM   #3
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

My Ride: '02 330i 6MT
OEM replacement

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...arc-66240.html

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...ips-85122.html

THE best of the best

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...66240-cbi.html

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...66240-cbh.html
Old 02-01-2017, 11:20 AM   #4
Bob_B

Thanks niklecce123 and Solidjake. I'll have to wait for a day in the 60s to make the repair. Those wires are pretty stiff at 40F. BTW, I don't want bluish or purplish lights, so I'm not inclined to go into the 6KK spectrum, but I would like to improve on the 4.3KK of the ones BMW supplied. Any thoughts? I like the specs on the Philips 85122XV C1 Xtreme vision bulbs, but they're so pricey. If someone has some suggestions to go along with those provided by Solidjake I would appreciate hearing them.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
niklecce123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob_B View Post
Thanks niklecce123 and Solidjake. I'll have to wait for a day in the 60s to make the repair. Those wires are pretty stiff at 40F. BTW, I don't want bluish or purplish lights, so I'm not inclined to go into the 6KK spectrum, but I would like to improve on the 4.3KK of the ones BMW supplied. Any thoughts? I like the specs on the Philips 85122XV C1 Xtreme vision bulbs, but they're so pricey. If someone has some suggestions to go along with those provided by Solidjake I would appreciate hearing them.

I'm actually doing a ballast on the right side along with bulbs on both sides. I decided to go to 4300k from 6000k (cheap bulbs). I got the OEM bulbs off eBay for $35 for the pair brand new. Pretty good deal if you ask me, genuine too. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 02-02-2017, 11:09 AM   #6
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

DO NOT get bulbs from ebay...

OP, if you want the brightest bulbs in the standard color then get these night breakers, if not the C1's will work

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...htbreaker.html
Old 02-02-2017, 11:14 AM   #7
Bob_B

I decided to get the Osram Xenarc 66240 CBI bulbs. Got my fingers crossed they'll meet my needs. Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-02-2017, 11:19 AM   #8
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Don't worry, I just ordered my second pair yesterday
Old 02-02-2017, 11:20 AM   #9
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Btw, what kind of projectors do you have?
Old 02-02-2017, 11:45 AM   #10
niklecce123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post
DO NOT get bulbs from ebay...

OP, if you want the brightest bulbs in the standard color then get these night breakers, if not the C1's will work

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/co...htbreaker.html

The seller can't lie to you so there's really no harm.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app
Old 02-02-2017, 04:45 PM   #11
Solidjake
Zero. Leaks.

Enjoy those bulbs
Old 02-02-2017, 10:06 PM   #12
niklecce123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidjake View Post