E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 4.89 average. Display Modes
Old 01-25-2014, 11:49 AM   #861
AxwelF

My Ride: Estoril Blue 330ci
This is not a pic, but I have a question which I don┤t feel deserve it┤s own thread...

I┤m looking to buy AEs for my 2001 330ci coupe with OEM projector/xenon headlights. However, since i live in Sweden it┤s going to be expensive to buy from umnitza... So my only alternative is ebay. However, its really hard to find a kit where the seller is clearly states whats included and for what specific type of headlights etc it is.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/66-LED-SMD...item4179b0a319
Found these. Seller states it will fit the following:
BMW 3 Series E46 2D 1998-2003 (Pre-facelift)
BMW 3 Series E46 4D/5D 1998-2004 with projector lens 131mm x 4 ( 66 led each ring )
BMW 3 Series E46 2D/4D/5D 1998-2004 without projector lens 131mm x 2 ( 66 led each ring ) / 145mm x 2 ( 76 led each ring )

So first of it seems like it should fit. Then on the last line he says E46 2D without projector? Is the size of the rings the same for projector and non-projector? The seller is so inconsistent, mentioning different sizes for projector/non projector for some cars, and others not? Also, there┤s no clear statement on whether a harness for fade in/out functions is included. Almost every single seller is just as unclear in the description...

I┤m so confused haha... Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by AxwelF; 01-25-2014 at 11:50 AM.
AxwelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2014, 01:33 PM   #862
umnitza
877Ľ486Ľ6489

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
AxwelF - our shipping to you is only about $25-35, you can see when you register and check out.
Old 01-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #863
AxwelF

My Ride: Estoril Blue 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
AxwelF - our shipping to you is only about $25-35, you can see when you register and check out.
Thanks for your answer but unfortunately, after adding the shipping costs, another 25% is added for taxes, and ontop of that another 13-30% duty... Just can┤t justify spending 200 bucks++
AxwelF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #864
christiandflores

My Ride: BMW M3 E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
We would like to announce the release of Orion V2.5
Starting last week, we began shipments selected purchasers of the standard Orion V2 60 LED version with upgrades to the new Orion V2.5!

Some changes to the new Orion V2.5 are quite subtle but make a big difference.
1) We have removed the control boxes and actually built it directly into the circuit board.
2) The LED we are using are designed differently to allow #1 to occur.
3) The LED spacing is dramatically closer together, so there will not be any need for the "opaque" feature.
4) The V2.5 is not available with Night Controller and ONLY AVAILABLE IN 6000K (for now)
5) 25% greater light output than Orion v2.
6) Available for any other fitments except:
a) all E46s except 2004-6 facelifted coupes/convertibles
b) all E39s 1997-2000, and Projector39 Hella Style
c) all E38s 1995-2001
d) all E65s 2002-2005 (non-facelifted)
e) all E36s with Euro Ellipsoids
d) Some other models <-- please inquire first.

For now, we're offering the product at the same price as the Orion V2. However, due to the value add of more LED, better light output (25%)
In order on these photos - Orion V2 LEFT, Orion V2.5 MIDDLE, Orion V4 RIGHT

http://www.umnitza.com/predator-orio...te-p-1198.html
Do you guys ever plan on making a 4300K version of the V4?
christiandflores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:25 PM   #865
Kayss

My Ride: Bmw 328i 1999
PO put these on.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1395282197.346227.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	198.4 KB
ID:	550727

Clearly they've fallen out of place but other than that, keep or change?

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Kayss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:27 PM   #866
XKR

My Ride: 2001 M3 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayss View Post
PO put these on.
Attachment 550727

Clearly they've fallen out of place but other than that, keep or change?

Change because it's illegal to have blue lights and cops will get you for that. Trust me..

SGT catless headers

Full BW 3.5" Resonated Race Exhaust w/ diffuser

Tein S-Tech Lowering Springs
Sebion CF hood | CF Kidneys | ▄mnitiza Predator Orion V4 | Dynavin Nav D99+ w/Android | Blue Leds | Projector Fogs w/ 50w 5k HID| Painted Reflectors
XKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 09:39 PM   #867
Kayss

Quote:
Originally Posted by XKR View Post
Change because it's illegal to have blue lights and cops will get you for that. Trust me..

Not in canada they aren't I just looked it up to make sure.

Old 03-19-2014, 09:42 PM   #868
XKR

Quote:
Not in canada they aren't I just looked it up to make sure.

Seriously? That is so awesome! I'd say keep the blue lights then lol. I'm assuming that red and green angel eyes would be illegal, right?

SGT catless headers

Sebion CF hood | CF Kidneys | ▄mnitiza Predator Orion V4 | Dynavin Nav D99+ w/Android | Blue Leds | Projector Fogs w/ 50w 5k HID| Painted Reflectors
Old 03-19-2014, 09:48 PM   #869
Kayss

Quote:
Seriously? That is so awesome! I'd say keep the blue lights then lol. I'm assuming that red and green angel eyes would be illegal, right?

No actually hahaha it's all legal as long as they aren't flashing! I guess all I need to do then is reposition them and I'll be good. Know how long these things last for?

Old 03-19-2014, 09:51 PM   #870
XKR

Quote:
No actually hahaha it's all legal as long as they aren't flashing! I guess all I need to do then is reposition them and I'll be good. Know how long these things last for?

Looks like I'm living in the wrong country. What brand are yours? I have Umnitiza multi colored ones which lasted a few months before failing but it was just a problem with a batch and is being sorted out. The only color that failed was the yellow and red LEDS. Blue works 100% for me but I'm too scared to use it lol.

SGT catless headers

Old 03-19-2014, 09:58 PM   #871
Kayss

Quote:
Looks like I'm living in the wrong country. What brand are yours? I have Umnitiza multi colored ones which lasted a few months before failing but it was just a problem with a batch and is being sorted out. The only color that failed was the yellow and red LEDS. Blue works 100% for me but I'm too scared to use it lol.

I've got no clue they came with the car haha, is there any way to find out? And is It seriously illegal everywhere in the states? I was thinking of getting white ones when these fail but what do you think of white on a silver car, would it work? And at least you guys can order online without having to pay hundreds in shipping costs! Around 4-5 hundred in shipping and tax for my cooling system

Old 03-19-2014, 10:26 PM   #872
XKR

Quote:
I've got no clue they came with the car haha, is there any way to find out? And is It seriously illegal everywhere in the states? I was thinking of getting white ones when these fail but what do you think of white on a silver car, would it work? And at least you guys can order online without having to pay hundreds in shipping costs! Around 4-5 hundred in shipping and tax for my cooling system

Sometimes they say on the ring it self. Mine have a little Ř on it for ▄mnitiza. The only colors that are legal are white, yellow/amber for your headlights. Luckily, my mom had to borrow my car and I had them on purple and she got pulled over A cop also left me a warning on my windshield while my car was parked for "colored headlamps" lol.
Mine looks a little different than yours so you probably don't have umnitizas. My next angel eyes are going to be white ( Umnitiza V4 ). White lights works on silver. This is the white lock out color my AE have

and yea, that shipping cost is pretty nuts. But you guys got road legal skylines so who cares about shipping then haha
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3103.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	164.4 KB
ID:	550741  

SGT catless headers

Old 03-19-2014, 10:41 PM   #873
Kayss

Quote:
Sometimes they say on the ring it self. Mine have a little Ř on it for ▄mnitiza. The only colors that are legal are white, yellow/amber for your headlights. Luckily, my mom had to borrow my car and I had them on purple and she got pulled over A cop also left me a warning on my windshield while my car was parked for "colored headlamps" lol.

Mine looks a little different than yours so you probably don't have umnitizas. My next angel eyes are going to be white ( Umnitiza V4 ). White lights works on silver. This is the white lock out color my AE have

and yea, that shipping cost is pretty nuts. But you guys got road legal skylines so who cares about shipping then haha

I'll probably be taking my headlights out this weekend for the first time to try and troubleshoot a problem with my left projector not auto levelling when I turn them on and I'll check for a name on them then. Do you know of any threads that discuss an auto adjust issue with the projectors? I think I have the xenon retrofit projectors, can you tell from this photo? Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1395286490.275996.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	146.9 KB
ID:	550748 and lmao at your mom getting pulled over. It's crazy how many stupid laws you guys have but it's not worst than the UK if you've ever been there. I'm assuming it all depends what state you live in? It's funny because I'm actually applying for citizenship to move to Florida at the moment.

Old 03-19-2014, 10:51 PM   #874
XKR

Quote:
I'll probably be taking my headlights out this weekend for the first time to try and troubleshoot a problem with my left projector not auto levelling when I turn them on and I'll check for a name on them then. Do you know of any threads that discuss an auto adjust issue with the projectors? I think I have the xenon retrofit projectors, can you tell from this photo? Attachment 550748 and lmao at your mom getting pulled over. It's crazy how many stupid laws you guys have but it's not worst than the UK if you've ever been there. I'm assuming it all depends what state you live in? It's funny because I'm actually applying for citizenship to move to Florida at the moment.

I know I forgot to plug my auto leveling lights back in from having my headlights out so that may be the issue for you. I haven't seen any threads recently so I'd just post one if searching leads you no wheres. You defiantly have regular xenons. They don't look like bi-xenons because the lens is small. Not sure if they're retrofit or not but they're defiantly xenons. Some states are more lenient on things. Like in florida you don't have to worry about emissions. My inspection is coming up and I have no cats so I'm screwed. I would love to move to California but their laws are insane. Super strict emissions. The UK is awesome man. I've seen so many sick BMWs there. Many 8 series. I really wish the USD was worth something over there

SGT catless headers

Last edited by XKR; 03-19-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 03-19-2014, 11:23 PM   #875
Kayss

Quote:
I know I forgot to plug my auto leveling lights back in from having my headlights out so that may be the issue for you. I haven't seen any threads recently so I'd just post one if searching leads you no wheres. You defiantly have regular xenons. They don't look like bi-xenons because the lens is small. Not sure if they're retrofit or not but they're defiantly xenons. Some states are more lenient on things. Like in florida you don't have to worry about emissions. My inspection is coming up and I have no cats so I'm screwed. I would love to move to California but their laws are insane. Super strict emissions. The UK is awesome man. I've seen so many sick BMWs there. Many 8 series. I really wish the USD was worth something over there

Is it just a plug? And where are the sensors located that have to do with the auto levelling? The side of the car with the problem is missing the splash guard around the wheel so maybe some water splashed up there messing up my connection? I actually had my projectors go out for a few hours after a car wash so I really need to work on getting that splash guard, PO was an idiot which isn't uncommon. I'm still trying to figure out the whole headlight thing in our cars haha, what are the bi xenons? And I've actually spotted a loose connection but have no clue where it is supposed to go! I'll get a pic tomorrow and try to figure out what it is. Here in ontario it's every 2 years for emission but it's not hard to find someone who will pass it for you. The 8 series look sweet though I just looked it up! I thought 7 was the highest they went haha.

Old 03-19-2014, 11:25 PM   #876
Kayss

Quote:

And I thought our cars came with reflectors, were the projectors an option or something?

Old 03-19-2014, 11:42 PM   #877
XKR

Quote:
Is it just a plug? And where are the sensors located that have to do with the auto levelling? The side of the car with the problem is missing the splash guard around the wheel so maybe some water splashed up there messing up my connection? I actually had my projectors go out for a few hours after a car wash so I really need to work on getting that splash guard, PO was an idiot which isn't uncommon. I'm still trying to figure out the whole headlight thing in our cars haha, what are the bi xenons? And I've actually spotted a loose connection but have no clue where it is supposed to go! I'll get a pic tomorrow and try to figure out what it is. Here in ontario it's every 2 years for emission but it's not hard to find someone who will pass it for you. The 8 series look sweet though I just looked it up! I thought 7 was the highest they went haha.

Quote:
And I thought our cars came with reflectors, were the projectors an option or something?

I'm not too sure which models came with projectors stock but since yours is a pre face lift, it may be retrofitted. When you put your high beams on with bi xenons, the shutter flapps down. You may have a fuse issue because in one of my project cars, it has aftermarket HIDs and it keeps melting fuses for some reason causing them to flicker and not come on.

This is where the autoleving plug is

All the connectors should be water resistant. water+electricity isn't the best of things so i'd be careful because you may have a short and electrocute your self lol. It could also be your ballast going bad. Worse comes the worse pull the entire headlight out which is pretty easy and check everything. You could also have a bad bulb if it doesn't come on but since you said it started acting up after a carwash, it's defiantly a connection issue. car washes have undercarrage washed so it probably sprayed up into your engine bay and messed with things. The ballasts could be lethal if you get shocked by it because HIDs need a lot of juice just to fire up.

8 series are the best, especially the ones with the V12 in it. And the popup headlights

SGT catless headers

Old 03-20-2014, 12:03 AM   #878
Kayss

Quote:
I'm not too sure which models came with projectors stock but since yours is a pre face lift, it may be retrofitted. When you put your high beams on with bi xenons, the shutter flapps down. You may have a fuse issue because in one of my project cars, it has aftermarket HIDs and it keeps melting fuses for some reason causing them to flicker and not come on.

All the connectors should be water resistant. water+electricity isn't the best of things so i'd be careful because you may have a short and electrocute your self lol. It could also be your ballast going bad. Worse comes the worse pull the entire headlight out which is pretty easy and check everything. You could also have a bad bulb if it doesn't come on but since you said it started acting up after a carwash, it's defiantly a connection issue. car washes have undercarrage washed so it probably sprayed up into your engine bay and messed with things. The ballasts could be lethal if you get shocked by it because HIDs need a lot of juice just to fire up.

8 series are the best, especially the ones with the V12 in it. And the popup headlights

Yeah I'm guessing it's retrofitted because my buddies preface lift has reflectors, and shouldn't there be a metal plate thing around my projectors? The one that comes in the retrofit kit because I can look through the side and see the actual bulb. The bulb does look weaker than the other one so I'll replace that first and make sure my battery is disconnected when i play around with the connections. But the bulb does come on it just flickers when I turn it on and doesn't auto level which is annoying every time I see the drivers side one go up and down and not the passenger side. If water getting in there is the case would I need to replace the entire projector if everything turns out to be fine? Looks like I've got a project for this weekend. Anything else I should be aware of? And what should I use to put my angel eyes back in place. Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByBimmerApp1395291664.555034.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	221.1 KB
ID:	550753 you can't really tell there's a level issue and I don't think there is one really but if I can figure it out it'll be nice to get off my list.

Old 03-20-2014, 12:08 AM   #879
Kayss

Quote:

What's that knob thing next to the plug for?

Old 03-20-2014, 12:45 PM   #880
XKR

Quote:
Yeah I'm guessing it's retrofitted because my buddies preface lift has reflectors, and shouldn't there be a metal plate thing around my projectors? The one that comes in the retrofit kit because I can look through the side and see the actual bulb. The bulb does look weaker than the other one so I'll replace that first and make sure my battery is disconnected when i play around with the connections. But the bulb does come on it just flickers when I turn it on and doesn't auto level which is annoying every time I see the drivers side one go up and down and not the passenger side. If water getting in there is the case would I need to replace the entire projector if everything turns out to be fine? Looks like I've got a project for this weekend. Anything else I should be aware of? And what should I use to put my angel eyes back in place. Attachment 550753 you can't really tell there's a level issue and I don't think there is one really but if I can figure it out it'll be nice to get off my list.

It could also be a temperature issue. I retrofitted HIDs into my foglights and when we had very cold weather, one of them wouldn't turn on unless I turned them off and turned them back on. Your right bulb looks very dim. My AE have vert sturdy clips that clip on to the housing so since yours seem cheap, they may be finished since the clip may be broken. I doubt that water is getting into your headlights because in the back of them, they have a weather resistant rubber grommet that protects everything. It could honestly be anything so I hope someone else could chime in since these lights could be complicated. If you do tear down your lights and have to replace a projector, I suggest doing a clear lens retrofit because that would improve your lights so much. If it is retrofitted then check your harness because the relays could be bad. flickering on warm up is normal (for retrofitted xenons) so it may be something you might have to live with. I had this problem with me older car and it had a tiny battery so I had to replace the alternator because it needed a lot of power. So yea check your relay harness!
Quote:
What's that knob thing next to the plug for?

that adjusts your projector level

SGT catless headers