E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-07-2006, 11:09 PM   #1
rana
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: White Rock, BC Canada
Posts: 1,543
My Ride: 04' 320i, 03' 745Li
Why do my ProLumens flicker when I turn them on?

This is something weird..

Since my car is always in a garage and my lighting switch is always on Auto, when my ProLumen's turn on by themselves, they are fine...no flickering or anything..

BUT when they are off, and I turn them on by myself...they flicker like a mother ****er before settling down...

What can I do??
__________________
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:41 PM   #2
rana
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: White Rock, BC Canada
Posts: 1,543
My Ride: 04' 320i, 03' 745Li
anyone??
__________________
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 12:20 AM   #3
vmwerks
Past Site Sponsor
 
vmwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Valley Motorwerks
Posts: 3,632
My Ride: 330zhp Super Coupe
Send a message via AIM to vmwerks
nothing.. sometimes Xenons flicker even OEM ones.
vmwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:01 PM   #4
bave46rider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 96
My Ride: e46
Your xenons shouldn't be flickering that much or for that long. At worst, it should only flicker once or twice for a PROPERLY working set. Is it both sides or just one side? There could be a problem with ballast, the igniter, a loose wire, etc. I would check all the wiring to make sure everything is ok. If only one side flickers like crazy, switch your ballast and/or igniter to the other side and see if the flicker moves to that side as well. Narrow it down as much as possible, and at the same time, contact the vendor who sold you the HIDs so that they can help you troubleshoot and replace the bad part for free if there is one. The kit should come with lifetime warranty.
bave46rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:43 PM   #5
n3985
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Edgewater, NJ
Posts: 426
My Ride: E92 soon?
One of the easiest ways to fix flickering aftermarket HIDs is to check the ground connection, so check the wiring.
__________________
n3985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 10:04 AM   #6
rana
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: White Rock, BC Canada
Posts: 1,543
My Ride: 04' 320i, 03' 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by bave46rider
Your xenons shouldn't be flickering that much or for that long. At worst, it should only flicker once or twice for a PROPERLY working set. Is it both sides or just one side? There could be a problem with ballast, the igniter, a loose wire, etc. I would check all the wiring to make sure everything is ok. If only one side flickers like crazy, switch your ballast and/or igniter to the other side and see if the flicker moves to that side as well. Narrow it down as much as possible, and at the same time, contact the vendor who sold you the HIDs so that they can help you troubleshoot and replace the bad part for free if there is one. The kit should come with lifetime warranty.
both sides flicker like crazy for about 5 - 10 seconds before settling down..

I will re-check the wiring just incase...
__________________
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 07:24 PM   #7
BMW Loe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 1,367
My Ride: is dirty
mine just flickers on one side. I've narrowed it down to my ballast because the flicker moves with the ballast when I swap sides. I was told it was normal, mine flickers upon start-up for about 10 seconds, I'm afraid my bulb on the flickering side won't last long, but my vendor I bought it from says its normal...
__________________
E92 335i 6spd
BMS JB4 stg 3, BMS DCI, CM methanol injection
04 M3 sold
03 330Ci sold
BMW Loe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:06 PM   #8
bave46rider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 96
My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Loe
mine just flickers on one side. I've narrowed it down to my ballast because the flicker moves with the ballast when I swap sides. I was told it was normal, mine flickers upon start-up for about 10 seconds, I'm afraid my bulb on the flickering side won't last long, but my vendor I bought it from says its normal...
No, that is not "normal". You should get that ballast replaced for free. Go turn on the xenons on any other car (with either OEM or high quality xenons) and see if they flicker for 10sec, lol). If they say that's normal, it appears that they just don't want to replace your ballast (it costs money doesn't it?). Otherwise, if it is truly normal, that's a sign of the type of quality those xenons are. (And to be fair, it appears that it's the former reason.) Eventually, and like you also stated, this is not good for your HID bulb and it will burn out faster than normal.
bave46rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:40 AM   #9
emmm_three
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tampa, FL / Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 1,671
My Ride: E90 328i / e46 330ci
I just installed some Xenons in my E46 330ci, and experience the same issue. They are ProLumens.
MY E90 has EOM xenon and they never flicker at all.
Anyone else trace the problems with the ballasts?
__________________
emmm_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:41 AM   #10
emmm_three
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tampa, FL / Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 1,671
My Ride: E90 328i / e46 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by rana
both sides flicker like crazy for about 5 - 10 seconds before settling down..

I will re-check the wiring just incase...
How could the wiring be the issue, all the connects snap into place, so there would be nothing loose right?
__________________
emmm_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:47 AM   #11
rana
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: White Rock, BC Canada
Posts: 1,543
My Ride: 04' 320i, 03' 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmm_three
How could the wiring be the issue, all the connects snap into place, so there would be nothing loose right?
yea thats what im thinking..

There is no location where you ground the wiring for the xenons...

But i just checked my connections and they are all fine...

Guess it is the ballasts then...
__________________
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 02:58 AM   #12
emmm_three
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Tampa, FL / Palo Alto, CA
Posts: 1,671
My Ride: E90 328i / e46 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by rana
yea thats what im thinking..

There is no location where you ground the wiring for the xenons...

But i just checked my connections and they are all fine...

Guess it is the ballasts then...
Lemme know what happens, I might need to do the same


Also the reason you need to flash the ECU on 04's is because the headlight out appears on the dash? It doesn't for me, should it? Or do we need to have the ECU flashed because now we have Xenons?
__________________
emmm_three is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 06:18 AM   #13
bave46rider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 96
My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by emmm_three
I just installed some Xenons in my E46 330ci, and experience the same issue. They are ProLumens.
MY E90 has EOM xenon and they never flicker at all.
Anyone else trace the problems with the ballasts?
EXACTLY. A properly working xenon kit should not flicker like the way you guys are experiencing in your e46s. I would contact the vendor you got them from and have the problem resolved (most likely, a ballast or igniter may need to be replaced.)
bave46rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 07:44 PM   #14
BMW Loe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 1,367
My Ride: is dirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by bave46rider
No, that is not "normal". You should get that ballast replaced for free. Go turn on the xenons on any other car (with either OEM or high quality xenons) and see if they flicker for 10sec, lol). If they say that's normal, it appears that they just don't want to replace your ballast (it costs money doesn't it?). Otherwise, if it is truly normal, that's a sign of the type of quality those xenons are. (And to be fair, it appears that it's the former reason.) Eventually, and like you also stated, this is not good for your HID bulb and it will burn out faster than normal.
Unfortunately the vendor refuses to replace this under warranty because it hasn't died yet and is within their specifications for a properly running ballast. So I have to fork over $$ to replace my prolumen ballast to get rid of the flickering. I know that its not normal, I'm just quoting that specific vendor.

If I can't get it fixed for free, I'm no longer recommended this vendor and just swap in an H7 to D2S adapter and just find an OEM ballast and bulb.
__________________
E92 335i 6spd
BMS JB4 stg 3, BMS DCI, CM methanol injection
04 M3 sold
03 330Ci sold

Last edited by BMW Loe; 08-13-2006 at 07:50 PM.
BMW Loe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:39 PM   #15
umnitza
8774866489
 
umnitza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 16,524
My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by bave46rider
No, that is not "normal". You should get that ballast replaced for free. Go turn on the xenons on any other car (with either OEM or high quality xenons) and see if they flicker for 10sec, lol). If they say that's normal, it appears that they just don't want to replace your ballast (it costs money doesn't it?). Otherwise, if it is truly normal, that's a sign of the type of quality those xenons are. (And to be fair, it appears that it's the former reason.) Eventually, and like you also stated, this is not good for your HID bulb and it will burn out faster than normal.
Suddenly you're an expert on another product? I love the internet, everyone's a "google-expert" and anonymously at that.

Not all cars allow proper voltage to all the parts, some parts are more finicky than others. On 99% of the cars we install, no flicker, don't know if it's because we're "experts" at installs or we get lucky and cars have no issues.

__________________
umnitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 08:42 PM   #16
umnitza
8774866489
 
umnitza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 16,524
My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Loe
Unfortunately the vendor refuses to replace this under warranty because it hasn't died yet and is within their specifications for a properly running ballast. So I have to fork over $$ to replace my prolumen ballast to get rid of the flickering. I know that its not normal, I'm just quoting that specific vendor.

If I can't get it fixed for free, I'm no longer recommended this vendor and just swap in an H7 to D2S adapter and just find an OEM ballast and bulb.
Let's not beat around the bush.

I've stated that Prolumen will not warranty a part that hasn't failed. If it does fail, then we'll replace it no questions asked. However, I'm sorry if it seems that my experience isn't sufficient for you the customer to "take my word for it".

I have nothing to lose $5 for shipping you a ballast? Big deal. I don't do it because Prolumen doesn't believe it's an issue. If you think it follows the ballast, send it back for testing. If you are 100% sure it's a ballast problem, then you should be confident that we'll find that this ballast does not meet the proper specs and get you a new one.

The internet sure is interesting...it's easier to complain on the internet than actually talk coherently with a vendor about the issue.

Loe- you have the ability to email us ANY time if you feel like you're in need of support, do so.
__________________
umnitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:04 PM   #17
BMW Loe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: FL
Posts: 1,367
My Ride: is dirty
Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza
Let's not beat around the bush.

I've stated that Prolumen will not warranty a part that hasn't failed. If it does fail, then we'll replace it no questions asked. However, I'm sorry if it seems that my experience isn't sufficient for you the customer to "take my word for it".

I have nothing to lose $5 for shipping you a ballast? Big deal. I don't do it because Prolumen doesn't believe it's an issue. If you think it follows the ballast, send it back for testing. If you are 100% sure it's a ballast problem, then you should be confident that we'll find that this ballast does not meet the proper specs and get you a new one.

The internet sure is interesting...it's easier to complain on the internet than actually talk coherently with a vendor about the issue.

Loe- you have the ability to email us ANY time if you feel like you're in need of support, do so.
You basically repeated what I said, Prolumen will not replace the product unless it fails. I know I can email you anytime, I respect you as a vendor, which is why I didn't mention your name. I completely understand from our telephone conversation that this is a rare case, but when I emailed you after I received the product regarding this issue, you said that it was definately the ballast and I could get it replaced (this took place before the telephone conversation, I called regarding purchasing 4300k bulbs at the same time as well, I'm not expecting you to remember that call though, as I'm sure you have plenty all day) . I just let it go for the time being hoping either the ballast or bulb will fail so I can get either one of them replaced for free instead of the hassle. Its been about 2 months now and the ballast still works, its just the flicking issue on one side which worries me about the bulb life on that side.
__________________
E92 335i 6spd
BMS JB4 stg 3, BMS DCI, CM methanol injection
04 M3 sold
03 330Ci sold
BMW Loe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:11 PM   #18
umnitza
8774866489
 
umnitza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 16,524
My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Loe
You basically repeated what I said, Prolumen will not replace the product unless it fails. I know I can email you anytime, I respect you as a vendor, which is why I didn't mention your name. I completely understand from our telephone conversation that this is a rare case, but when I emailed you after I received the product regarding this issue, you said that it was definately the ballast and I could get it replaced (this took place before the telephone conversation, I called regarding purchasing 4300k bulbs at the same time as well, I'm not expecting you to remember that call though, as I'm sure you have plenty all day) . I just let it go for the time being hoping either the ballast or bulb will fail so I can get either one of them replaced for free instead of the hassle. Its been about 2 months now and the ballast still works, its just the flicking issue on one side which worries me about the bulb life on that side.
OK,

And I'm sure you remember me telling you that if anything should fail at all, and given you've documented it with me in numerous emails, we'll immediately replace ANY parts. In the meantime, while I agree it's a bit of a nuisance, I cannot change the simple policy that Prolumen has about replacing only faulty items. On the other hand, if it simply constantly flickers when you drive, there is a definite problem and I consider that a failure.

Therefore, I'm not sure where your "lack of recommendation" comes from as we actively have made it clear that you will be taken care of IF anything goes wrong.
__________________
umnitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:27 PM   #19
bave46rider
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: NY
Posts: 96
My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza
Suddenly you're an expert on another product? I love the internet, everyone's a "google-expert" and anonymously at that.

Not all cars allow proper voltage to all the parts, some parts are more finicky than others. On 99% of the cars we install, no flicker, don't know if it's because we're "experts" at installs or we get lucky and cars have no issues.

The bottom line is this: A properly working, high-quality HID kit should NOT flicker for 10 seconds as people here are stating about their PROLUMEN kit. One of the customers already stated that you even admitted that it was probably a ballast (which is very likely). But now, if you want to blame the car's electrical parts ("not all cars allow proper voltage to all the parts"), then fine. That is a very remote but unlikely possibility too. The best way to tell if it is the PROLUMEN kit or the car's electrical system is to install another HID kit (or OEM kit) and see if this happens still. If it doesn't happen with another kit (or with another replaced ballast), then it is the defective ballast's problem.
Conclusion: Nobody needs to be an expert on PROLUMEN to know whether it is working or not. If I have another HID kit (or my OEM kit) and it works just fine with no flickering, but then install the prolumen kit and it flickers for 10 sec, then it is the prolumen kit that's at fault, not the car's electrical system. So why don't you help your customers out and resolve these issues? Saying this is "normal" when it is NOT does not constitute good service nor honesty.
bave46rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2006, 09:37 PM   #20
umnitza
8774866489
 
umnitza's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: East Bay, CA
Posts: 16,524
My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by bave46rider
The bottom line is this: A properly working, high-quality HID kit should NOT flicker for 10 seconds as people here are stating about their PROLUMEN kit.

Wrong again. A car's voltage regulator has just as much to do with it as a kit. A Prolumen kit doesn't flicker one bit in most any of the cars we've installed here, but it has on two occassions with cars that required a secondary relay - which if you knew anything about car electrical systems, you'd know was usually a recommendation (however BMWs tend to have pretty strong electrical systems so this is usually overlooked).

One of the customers already stated that you even admitted that it was probably a ballast (which is very likely).

Sure, I can say it's "probably" anything. My opinion on this has changed as more installs have been completed with this same batch of Prolumen products by Prolumen retailers

But now, if you want to blame the car's electrical parts ("not all cars allow proper voltage to all the parts"), then fine. That is a very remote but unlikely possibility too. The best way to tell if it is the PROLUMEN kit or the car's electrical system is to install another HID kit (or OEM kit) and see if this happens still.

That is a good way, but not 100% accurate either.

If it doesn't happen with another kit (or with another replaced ballast), then it is the defective ballast's problem.

I would use that information to force Prolumen to replace it for the customer. Yes.

Conclusion: Nobody needs to be an expert on PROLUMEN to know whether it is working or not. If I have another HID kit (or my OEM kit) and it works just fine with no flickering, but then install the prolumen kit and it flickers for 10 sec, then it is the prolumen kit that's at fault, not the car's electrical system.

No, you don't need to be an expert...but read your initial statement again. Your statement that it's not "normal" is just plain wrong. It could be normal for that car and you don't know that.
.
__________________
umnitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use