E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2006, 01:42 PM   #1
islanq

My Ride: An E46 like you...
Send a message via AIM to islanq
*PIC* Angel Eyes (VERY pleased)

So basically I got some off brand angel eyes and I must say I'm SUPER IMPRESSED w/ my results. I bought these and they did not come w/ a harness or very good instructions. Through the support of forums and various research online (and my trusty voltage reader) I got them installed w/ no complications.

The upside:
- My gf's dad has Umnitza DDE's on his E46 M3, side by side you can barely notice a difference.
- They are noticeable during the day time
- The fitment was superb.
- For the money it was WELL worth it.

The downside:
- No harness
- Limited instructions (not very usable at all)
- Lack of such materials like; zip ties, double sided sticky tape, wire taps, etc.. (although I'm not sure if any manufactures send that stuff)

Final Thoughts:
If you are a hands on technical person such as myself you can learn to install these lights w/ common sense almost with out instructions at all. For the price being less than 1/2 of what the newest Umnitza's cost (although I do realize Umnitza offers support and very detailed tutorials, etc...) I must say it it was worth it.

islanq is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-09-2006, 01:46 PM   #2
Penguin Koolaid
Banned

My Ride: Inline Six
Looks good
Penguin Koolaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:49 PM   #3
islanq

^ Thanks, I have more pics on my home comp. I just took that one down off my myspace since I don't have the pics here. I'll post more later and get some day time pics as well! I just need to get my damn daytimes turned off now!
Old 08-09-2006, 01:51 PM   #4
SWINFORD
///PIITB

My Ride: Low Life Marie
Send a message via AIM to SWINFORD Send a message via MSN to SWINFORD
Got any daytime shots?

| Hypnotyzd FB |Tischer BMW|
SWINFORD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
islanq

Quote:
Originally Posted by swinford
Got any daytime shots?
I'll take some tonight for ya!
Old 08-09-2006, 01:55 PM   #6
SK328CI

My Ride: 2006 Jeep SRT8
looks nice, where did you get them from?
Old 08-09-2006, 01:58 PM   #7
bave46rider

My Ride: e46
islanq,

Very well done!! Your angel eyes look awesome, and you did a great install! It's not a difficult install at all, and with all the resources available online (lots of DIY instructions here), it should actually be a fun mod to do yourself. Regarding the wiring harness (and as you found out), you really don't need it if you're just hooking your angel eyes to your parking lights, headlights, or DRLs. It's also only a $10 harness at vendor's website, or you can make your own for a couple of bucks (it's just some long wires available at Home Depot).

Congrats again!
bave46rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:04 PM   #8
kinggrimwood

My Ride: 1999 328i
I want to, but i've got other bmw related repairs to deal with first.

If you're not scared, you need to be driving Faster!
kinggrimwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:06 PM   #9
Bostonbimmer

My Ride: 2011 328
Send a message via AIM to Bostonbimmer
I got a set off ebay and they work perfect for about a month and 1/2 then they died - I e-mailed the seller and the manufacture - no luck they wanted to sell me a complete new set- I got stuck with a junk kit...Not saying your going to have the same run of bad luck but there is something to say the quality of cheap stuff on ebay-
Bostonbimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:06 PM   #10
killswitch

My Ride: e36 3
Send a message via AIM to killswitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanq
I'll take some tonight for ya!
u'll take some daytime shots tonight?

they look great dude, congrats

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///OSS View Post

...fu ck it...mod it to the max and have a freaking blast...
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:08 PM   #11
islanq

@ Bostonbimmer

Hopefully this WON'T happen to me , the guy who sells them actually owns an E46 and has assured me that his have been running strong for a little over a year now.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:09 PM   #12
islanq

Quote:
Originally Posted by killswitch
u'll take some daytime shots tonight?

they look great dude, congrats
LOL I mean tonight as when I get off work @ 3pm. It doesn't get dark till about 9ish here right now. I'll have plenty of time. But yeah that did sound kind of retarded now that you point it out!
Old 08-09-2006, 02:13 PM   #13
Kanaljen

My Ride: 2002 330i, Honda F4
Looks nice!

I too bought some on ebay super cheap and had the same experience. A little DIY but the result was great!

One issue I had was that the clip holding them moved a litte.. I was probably the only one noticing but you know how that goes..

So, I took it apart again, put a small drop of silicon on there (can't see it from the outside), let it dry and voila!! All good!

QUESTION TO THE GROUP:

I want my angle eyes to be on all the time. I.e., with my DLR lights but also when I switch on my xenon. I hooked the whole thing up to the fog lights, so the angle eyes goes on when I push the fog light button. This is nice since I can have them on whenever BUT I would like to have them on with the DLR light WITHOUT having to turn on the fog lights.

To where should I hook them up? I was thinking about the cigarette fuse but don't know if that thing is on eventhough the car is not..

Again, any ideas on where I can get my juice??

Thanks!
A
02 330i, b-sapphire, L&S package, Tan/black leather, 18" M72, Tint, Sway bars, F & R strut braces, LTW flywheel, M5 clutch, 3.15 diff, Modded exhaust, SSK, U-drive pullies, Clear front corners, smoked tail and sides, stealth bulbs, B/W roundels, blacked-out emblem, trunk spoiler, Bi-xenon, angle eyes, HID fog lights, drilled Brembo, LTW battery, VDO gauges, Premium HK, extra amps & subs, ESS S/C, PS2 235,265, pss10, adj rear ctrl arms, IC coming
Kanaljen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #14
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bave46rider
islanq,

Very well done!! Your angel eyes look awesome, and you did a great install! It's not a difficult install at all, and with all the resources available online (lots of DIY instructions here), it should actually be a fun mod to do yourself. Regarding the wiring harness (and as you found out), you really don't need it if you're just hooking your angel eyes to your parking lights, headlights, or DRLs. It's also only a $10 harness at vendor's website, or you can make your own for a couple of bucks (it's just some long wires available at Home Depot).

Congrats again!
Agreed, you can just buy the harness/remote already made from a vendor. Or you can make it, as it was made by a member on the forum and then duplicated from the vendors(they used to give credit to the original DIYer, now they act like it's they're own doing. Gotta love the over marketing of these. How to make it is documented in a thread, as mentioned it's not hard to do with parts found readily. I'm sure a vendor will quickly post trying to protect their product by stating the warranty they have, which is a good point. But as long as you were aware of this, then I say good for you on your project. Let's see how long and which vendor posts first?
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #15
killswitch

My Ride: e36 3
Send a message via AIM to killswitch
Quote:
LOL I mean tonight as when I get off work @ 3pm. It doesn't get dark till about 9ish here right now. I'll have plenty of time. But yeah that did sound kind of retarded now that you point it out!

haha, no worries...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///OSS View Post

...fu ck it...mod it to the max and have a freaking blast...
killswitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:51 PM   #16
bave46rider

My Ride: e46
Quote:

PS. If anyone in the Portland, OR area needs DDE's installed or help I'm more then willing to help out!
An example of a true e46fanatic an enthusiast. Hopefully there will be more people in the forums that do the same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci
Agreed, you can just buy the harness/remote already made from a vendor. Or you can make it, as it was made by a member on the forum and then duplicated from the vendors(they used to give credit to the original DIYer, now they act like it's they're own doing. Gotta love the over marketing of these. How to make it is documented in a thread, as mentioned it's not hard to do with parts found readily. I'm sure a vendor will quickly post trying to protect their product by stating the warranty they have, which is a good point. But as long as you were aware of this, then I say good for you on your project. Let's see how long and which vendor posts first?
Alex, very well stated. Looks like you've been around here long enough to know this.
bave46rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:53 PM   #17
Kanaljen

My Ride: 2002 330i, Honda F4
Quote:
@ Kanaljen

I hooked mine up to the ignition wire, mine are on any time my key is in position 2 in the ignition! It's so awesome because it has absolutely no impact on any other light setups in my car (i.e. i can get my crappy yellow DRL turned off eventually).
Yeah, that sounds like the ticket! Where to you splice into the ignition wire/where do you find it?

And, about your yellow lights, you can always try those new light bulbs out there with 7k range. The will not be just like xenon but better... Or, as you said, just turn them off yourself or go to the stealership and have them do it with their magical computer!

Thanks!
A
02 330i, b-sapphire, L&S package, Tan/black leather, 18" M72, Tint, Sway bars, F & R strut braces, LTW flywheel, M5 clutch, 3.15 diff, Modded exhaust, SSK, U-drive pullies, Clear front corners, smoked tail and sides, stealth bulbs, B/W roundels, blacked-out emblem, trunk spoiler, Bi-xenon, angle eyes, HID fog lights, drilled Brembo, LTW battery, VDO gauges, Premium HK, extra amps & subs, ESS S/C, PS2 235,265, pss10, adj rear ctrl arms, IC coming

Last edited by bluecougar; 08-09-2006 at 10:10 PM.
Kanaljen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 02:54 PM   #18
hookem12387

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Send a message via AIM to hookem12387
Quote:
@ Kanaljen

I hooked mine up to the ignition wire, mine are on any time my key is in position 2 in the ignition! It's so awesome because it has absolutely no impact on any other light setups in my car (i.e. i can get my crappy yellow DRL turned off eventually).
I have no idea how to do wiring or I'd want to do exactly what you did. Besides, I'm scared of the 2 incidents, out of a possible billion cases, where there have been fires. My car catches fire and I cry and bike.Nicely done, though!

Last edited by bluecougar; 08-09-2006 at 10:10 PM.
hookem12387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #19
islanq

@ Kanaljen
Yeah I'm just turning them off, I ordered the Umnitza HID wanna be lights for low beam to they somewhat match the DDEs.

To answer your question the ignition wire should be this:
(in this image it is red, on my car it was green,. I think regardless this is where it is.)

You can test by getting your voltage reader and checking to see if you get 12v when turning the key to position 2 (the last notch it clicks into before you turn to start the motor). That is what I did, works like a charm.

@ hookem12387
My gf's dad helped me and he knows his stuff (he works for a company that makes machines to produce chips for Intel here at the Intel facility in Oregon). He also put Umnitza's on his Imola red E46 M3 so I trusted his judgement

Last edited by islanq; 08-09-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 08-09-2006, 03:24 PM   #20
hookem12387

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Send a message via AIM to hookem12387
See if I had somebody legit to help me with wiring like that It would be different. It's not the brand I worry about, I'm so tired of brand DDE wars, it's the splicing into wiring, period.

hookem12387 is offline   Reply With Quote