E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2006, 03:28 PM   #21
islanq

My Ride: An E46 like you...
Send a message via AIM to islanq
^ Splicing was actually one of the easiest parts of the install. LOL I'll tell you what's a b!tch is getting off the lower eye lid from the bottom of your headlights! Mine got stuck on the corners on the outside of the car (both left and right). Thankfully I was able to remove the head light lens with out taking them completely off.
islanq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:34 PM   #22
BF330ci

My Ride: '04 330ci
Send a message via AIM to BF330ci
Sweet deal...they looks pretty good to me!
Old 08-09-2006, 03:45 PM   #23
Presns323i
No Show, No Go

My Ride: E46[Retired], 2.0T
Send a message via AIM to Presns323i
sickkkk
now u just need projectors
Old 08-09-2006, 03:47 PM   #24
hookem12387

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Send a message via AIM to hookem12387
Quote:
Originally Posted by islanq
^ Splicing was actually one of the easiest parts of the install. LOL I'll tell you what's a b!tch is getting off the lower eye lid from the bottom of your headlights! Mine got stuck on the corners on the outside of the car (both left and right). Thankfully I was able to remove the head light lens with out taking them completely off.
Im curious now...

hookem12387 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:52 PM   #25
islanq

@ hookem12387

I kid you not, now that I know what I'm doing. I could do a complete install in 45 mins flat. Not hard at all.
Old 08-09-2006, 05:05 PM   #26
Kanaljen

My Ride: 2002 330i, Honda F4
Quote:
@ Kanaljen
Yeah I'm just turning them off, I ordered the Umnitza HID wanna be lights for low beam to they somewhat match the DDEs.

To answer your question the ignition wire should be this:
(in this image it is red, on my car it was green,. I think regardless this is where it is.)

You can test by getting your voltage reader and checking to see if you get 12v when turning the key to position 2 (the last notch it clicks into before you turn to start the motor). That is what I did, works like a charm.

@ hookem12387
My gf's dad helped me and he knows his stuff (he works for a company that makes machines to produce chips for Intel here at the Intel facility in Oregon). He also put Umnitza's on his Imola red E46 M3 so I trusted his judgement
I don't care what they say, you're the man! (jk)

Thanks, yes, I will get my meter out, find the wire and splice into that one instead of the one coming off the fogs (as today). Much better...

Now, if I only can figure out how to kill those amber corner light but STILL have then work as turn signals...

Thanks again!
A
02 330i, b-sapphire, L&S package, Tan/black leather, 18" M72, Tint, Sway bars, F & R strut braces, LTW flywheel, M5 clutch, 3.15 diff, Modded exhaust, SSK, U-drive pullies, Clear front corners, smoked tail and sides, stealth bulbs, B/W roundels, blacked-out emblem, trunk spoiler, Bi-xenon, angle eyes, HID fog lights, drilled Brembo, LTW battery, VDO gauges, Premium HK, extra amps & subs, ESS S/C, PS2 235,265, pss10, adj rear ctrl arms, IC coming
Kanaljen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:07 PM   #27
hookem12387

Does anybody know, if one of these rings burns out, is there anyway to replace them short of buying a new kit?

Old 08-09-2006, 05:15 PM   #28
Kanaljen

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem12387
Does anybody know, if one of these rings burns out, is there anyway to replace them short of buying a new kit?
I guess it depends from where you bought them.

I bought mine on ebay so I would be forced to buy a new set..
They are cheap nowadays but the install would suck. (although you would be left with 3 spares...)

ANYONE ANYONE:
How can you turn off your amber corner lights while driving but still have them working as turn signals?? (Of course, only to be used for offroad driving...
02 330i, b-sapphire, L&S package, Tan/black leather, 18" M72, Tint, Sway bars, F & R strut braces, LTW flywheel, M5 clutch, 3.15 diff, Modded exhaust, SSK, U-drive pullies, Clear front corners, smoked tail and sides, stealth bulbs, B/W roundels, blacked-out emblem, trunk spoiler, Bi-xenon, angle eyes, HID fog lights, drilled Brembo, LTW battery, VDO gauges, Premium HK, extra amps & subs, ESS S/C, PS2 235,265, pss10, adj rear ctrl arms, IC coming
Old 08-09-2006, 05:17 PM   #29
auburnu008

My Ride: 2003 325i Tiag
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanaljen
I guess it depends from where you bought them.

I bought mine on ebay so I would be forced to buy a new set..
They are cheap nowadays but the install would suck. (although you would be left with 3 spares...)

ANYONE ANYONE:
How can you turn off your amber corner lights while driving but still have them working as turn signals?? (Of course, only to be used for offroad driving...
You will sell your car before they ever burn out.

auburnu008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 05:27 PM   #30
hookem12387

Quote:
Originally Posted by auburnu008
You will sell your car before they ever burn out.
Good to know!

Anybody else as interested as I am?

Old 08-09-2006, 05:29 PM   #31
bluecougar
A bimmer chick moderator :)

My Ride: MB & LR3
very nice!
Old 08-09-2006, 05:47 PM   #32
bave46rider

My Ride: e46
Quote:
Originally Posted by hookem12387
Some of them may be able to sell you one, or replace it for you depending on the situation. In any case, for the amount of money you save over buying from the "brand name" ones here, you could buy two of these kits, still save over $100, and have 4 spare rings, two spare ballasts (inverters), etc. Even the "brand name" ones here have parts such as ballasts (inverters) that fail too, and you do pay for replacements even though they have warranty. Some members have stated they pay $30 for a single ballast/inverter. Don't worry though...the rings should last you a looong time.
bave46rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:05 PM   #33
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky

My Ride: has a torn subframe
Send a message via AIM to Tyler@UniqueDesign
Those are (appear to be, no link was posted) racing dash manufactured DDE's They are actually a pretty good product overall, lately they have had a few QC issues with the wires actually coming off the ends of the bulbs and the electrodes falling out but thats not really something I ever saw myself.

The kits I sold when I was running Leistung were the same rings and inverters, we made a harness using the same DIY that was on here, I forget who wrote it, but it was old. The harness has fuses and a relay to isolate the DDE's as much as possible.

All that said, the way you have them wired right now is pretty dangerous. There is a fault in the inverters that can cause them to completely short then they fail, and the wire you tapped is INTEGRAL to the operation of your car. Sure its the same wire everyone else (including our kits) taps and uses, but the wire is tapped as a relay trigger in the kits we sell, where its tapped as a direct power wire the way you wired it. Please please please, find the DIY that uses a relay and correct this, I'd hate to see your car have issues over a failed CCFL inverter.

I'm not going to try to convince everyone not to buy these, the product we sell does cost more, it includes a lot of peace of mind, harness and a warranty.

When I sold those I did see rings burning out though, kindof weird. The inverter failures were pretty common (plan on it happenening) and the ring failures have started happening more recently.

-Tyler
Tyler@UniqueDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 08:33 PM   #34
islanq

@ Tyler@UniqueDesign
Would u want to sell me just a harness? How much

anyway to everyone else here are the day time pics I promised (sorry my car is FILTHY right now ) but you get the idea.

Old 08-09-2006, 09:23 PM   #35
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky

Quote:
@ Tyler@UniqueDesign
Would u want to sell me just a harness? How much
Sorry, can't break the kits up. Thats part of the incentive to buy the kit anyway - its ready to go out of the box .
Old 08-09-2006, 10:47 PM   #36
Cal
Still a fanatic...

My Ride: 08 GL450/04 E320/98M
Congrats!! Your angel eyes look good!

Any way, www.understeer.com/onlinestore-lighting.shtml has the wiring harness for $10. It's in the second section titled (DDE Lightning Remote-On Upgrade Kit). There is also an e46 DDE installation guide detailing how to install your DDEs, as well as how to hook them up so that they turn on with the remote keyless entry.

Last edited by Cal; 08-09-2006 at 10:50 PM.
Cal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 11:03 PM   #37
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal

Any way, www.understeer.com/onlinestore-lighting.shtml has the wiring harness for $10. It's in the second section titled (DDE Lightning Remote-On Upgrade Kit). There is also an e46 DDE installation guide detailing how to install your DDEs, as well as how to hook them up so that they turn on with the remote keyless entry.
Thats actually just a wire and a 5-pin relay, its not the complete harness. The complete harness retails for $50....don't suppose anyone wants me to get some at that price?
Old 08-09-2006, 11:53 PM   #38
Kanaljen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cal

Damn... folks on this forum simply rocks!

Thanks, I will order one and use when rewiring my angle eyes.
Thanks for the info!
A
Old 08-10-2006, 05:11 AM   #39
islanq

Does anyone have the DIY wire harness link anywhere? I know it's out there just can't find it.
Old 08-10-2006, 08:53 AM   #40
Simon2150
King of Useless P O S T S!

My Ride: 2000 BMW 328i
Quote:
Does anyone have the DIY wire harness link anywhere? I know it's out there just can't find it.
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...wiring+harness

this might be what you're looking for

Simon2150 is offline   Reply With Quote