E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Car Care & Detailing

Car Care & Detailing
Get detailing answers and tips here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2006, 10:56 AM   #1
bigjae1976

My Ride: A car
Send a message via MSN to bigjae1976
Griot's Garage Best of Show Wax...review

Don't get me wrong, this stuff will make your car look awesome. Since I drive my car a lot, I need something that holds up better.

First, its a PIA to take off. I do what the directions say and really work the wax into the panel and it still requires a lot of elbow grease.

Second, it provides little protection. If the car gets wet, it water spots pretty bad. Never had this problem with Zaino.

Third, it doesn't really last that long - 2-3 months (I know, its carnuba and carnuba doesn't last long anyway).

Bottom line is that I wouldn't recommend this stuff for a daily driver. If this was a weekend cruiser, then I'd use this.

Their other products are great...the wax and window cleaner are the only disappointments so far from Griot's Garage.
bigjae1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-14-2006, 09:27 AM   #2
Elefant
Banned

My Ride: and hes hairy too
thanks!
Elefant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 08:42 AM   #3
TwoE46s

My Ride: Dinan 330ci & 325it
As a long time Griot's junkie, I'll throw in my 2 cents......

The wax does seem to take some effort to remove (I use an orbital to put it on). I use speed shine (Griot's detailing spray) to take the last bit of residue off as I complete each panel. I switched to Griots after trying Zymol (previously used Mothers and Maguires), as I could never get a nice finish with it for some reason so I consider it much easer to use than Zymol.

To keep the shine lasting, I use Griot's Spray on Wax or Speed Shine as I dry the car after every wash. The spray on wax seems to have a higher wax content than speed shine (like that would be a surprise given the name) and as such takes a little more time to wipe down the car. I simply spray the SoW or SS on each wet panel before I dry the car, wipe it down with my micro fiber towel (from Griots of course) then gently wipe off any remaining SoW / SS or other moisture with a Griots 100% cotton towel - kind of a very light "buff" - the car keeps that "just waxed" feel to the paint while also minimizing micro scratching that comes from dragging a towel across the paint.

I can easily go 6 months between waxes using this method, although I may just wax the hood a little more often.

And yes, I too am not a fan of the Griots window cleaner...........

Although this may sound contrarian, I am going to try the Griot's sealant (instead of Best of Show wax) on my MINI S this fall - supposedly the sealant lasts longer than the wax - we'll see!
17X8 BBS RXs & 225/45 Toyo Proxes 4s
Coupe:(sold)
Dinan "S" plus Throttle Body & Stg 3 Software
Dinan Stage 2 Suspension
UUC Shifter
UUC Underdrive Pulleys
Goodridge Braided Brake Lines
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2s on factory M Double Spoke 68s
Track Stuff - 17X8 OZ SuperLeggeras & 235/40 Toyo RA1s; Shroth Harnesses

Last edited by TwoE46s; 08-15-2006 at 08:45 AM.
TwoE46s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:08 AM   #4
Greg@DetailedImage.com
Clean Shine Protect Expert

My Ride: is clean & protected
Thanks for the reviews, its good to hear other people's opinions. I'm personally not a big fan of Griots because most of their products are just relabeled 3M and Meguiar's products. I think you can find better protection, easier application/removal and a better value from other high end detailing products. Check out products like the Poorboy's World EX or EX-P, Klasse All In One and if you wanna spend a little extra the Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket is the best sealant I've ever used.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Greg@DetailedImage.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:21 PM   #5
piercej

My Ride: 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregs
I'm personally not a big fan of Griots because most of their products are just relabeled 3M and Meguiar's products.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Do you have anything to back up this statement? Seems pretty bold.
piercej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:34 PM   #6
Greg@DetailedImage.com

Its relatively common knowledge thats discussed in detailing forums. For example they have relabled the Porter Cable 7424 with their own name.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 08-15-2006, 02:47 PM   #7
coolbill4

My Ride: 2002 325i
I, too, am a Griot's junkie, at least regarding the products I've used so far. TwoE46s: Their sealant is amazing stuff, IMO. I use it on my 325i. I do everything by hand, starting with their clay/ speed shine and then their sealant. My car was beading up beautifully a full year after application, and hence I only apply it once a year. Considering that I live in Seattle and park outside (w/ a cover), I am very impressed.
coolbill4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:55 PM   #8
derek80

My Ride: is optically clear
greg is right.
lot of products are relabeled (chemists might have changed the formula little bit, but can't really tell the difference) and sold under another name.
paying more for the same product...:thumbdown: (i.e, S100 & P21S wax)

search at autopia.org and you'll know what he's talking about.

Last edited by derek80; 08-15-2006 at 03:00 PM.
derek80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 02:58 PM   #9
Greg@DetailedImage.com

In no way was I trying to offend the company or its customers. There is absolutely nothing wrong with their products, they can certainly do a detail. I just wanted people to make sure they were getting the most value from their purchases. I think you can get more value by going directly to the manufacturer or looking at other brands.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 08-15-2006, 05:00 PM   #10
bigjae1976

I noticed that they used to sell the PC orbital and now their own brand. The new orbital has a neat handle on top which allows you to press down on the buffer. Not sure if the PC has that handle...at least it wasn't formerly advertised to have it.

I do understand that they don't necessarily make their own stuff in house. The catalog even says that Mr. Griot shops around, finds stuff, tests it, and then sells it if he likes it. Nothing new. So if anyone is shocked about this, I say.

I use the spray on wax which does extend the life of the carnuba. But its so hot here in TX that the SoW dries right up. I've had more water spotting since I've switched to best of show wax (4 months) than I had with using Zaino for 1.5 years.

I have the paint sealant, used it on my Hyundai. Works pretty good and its much easier to apply than the best of show. Everything else works as advertised. Plus, Griot's has great customer service.

I think I'm going to use something else as far as wax/sealant. Any suggestions sponsors?
Old 08-15-2006, 05:29 PM   #11
derek80

My Ride: is optically clear
http://www.detailcity.org/forums/car...heck-this.html

^ Sealant : Why not go back to Zaino? Nothing comes close to Zaino in terms of durability.
Or try out Menzerna FMJ, Durgaloss 105.

EDIT : forgot about Poorboys EX-P

Last edited by derek80; 08-15-2006 at 05:36 PM.
derek80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 05:37 PM   #12
VALMONT
The De46vil's Army

My Ride: 325Ci, Passat
Send a message via AIM to VALMONT Send a message via MSN to VALMONT
Maguires NXT lasts forever but doesn't shine up AW, so i lay a coat of zymol ontop, and BLING!
Old 08-15-2006, 07:49 PM   #13
piercej

Quote:
Its relatively common knowledge thats discussed in detailing forums. For example they have relabled the Porter Cable 7424 with their own name.

Greg @ Detailed Image
I see this posted in many different forums but no can ever provide proof. Yes, their hardware is made by someone else and can sometimes be found elsewhere for less but please provide me the re-labeled equivalents of the following:

Best of Show = ???
Speed Shine = ???
Interior Cleaner = ???
Leather Conditioner = ???

I find you comment suspicious being that you have a vested interest in people not buying Griot's products.
Old 08-15-2006, 08:44 PM   #14
Greg@DetailedImage.com

bigjae1976 - There are many great sealants available for protectionand shine. I really like the Poorboy's World EX or EX-P, Klasse All In One and Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket (my personal favorite). I also like to layer them with a carnauba wax after I'm done. Some of my favorite carnauba waxes are Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax (great value), P21S Carnauba Wax (works great on light colors), Pinnacle Souveran (best one I've used on dark colors). All the sealants listed above offer great protection and the carnauba waxes will all add a layer of gloss and depth for the perfect finishing touch.

piercej - Its absolutely fine with me that people purchase from Griots and we respect people's desires to try and use their products. We simply ofer information for people to make an informed decision. I'm not going to go into detail about who makes all their products, the only reason I mentioned the PC 7424 is because its easily identifiable by just looking at it. If you'd like to do some research on it and request a copy of their materials in production, we'd be happy to hear about some of the results.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 08-15-2006, 08:49 PM   #15
piercej

Quote:
Originally Posted by piercej
Do you have anything to back up this statement? Seems pretty bold.
So the answer is NO?
Old 08-15-2006, 10:17 PM   #16
bigjae1976

Everyone...Griot's pretty much admits it. Griot's Garage itself doesn't claim to produce any of the products. They do claim that there are certain product unique to Griots, like the wheel cleaner.

Just read the product descriptions the next time you are takin' a #2. It says things like, "I found this", I had this improved for us", etc, etc.

Doesn't matter. Either way, they have been a great company to me so far. As I said, don't really like the wax or window cleaner. They provide VERY detailed instructions on detailing your car which is well worth any premium being paid. I've done the comparison shopping. Most of their products are priced very competitvely. Some are quite expensive, like the $3 sprayer that goes on the 35 oz bottles. But somethings are just plain better.

So yes, there is some backup to the earlier statement...right from Griots'.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:20 PM   #17
bigjae1976

Quote:
bigjae1976 - There are many great sealants available for protectionand shine. I really like the Poorboy's World EX or EX-P, Klasse All In One and Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze, Menzerna Full Molecular Jacket (my personal favorite). I also like to layer them with a carnauba wax after I'm done. Some of my favorite carnauba waxes are Poorboy's World Natty's Blue Paste Wax (great value), P21S Carnauba Wax (works great on light colors), Pinnacle Souveran (best one I've used on dark colors). All the sealants listed above offer great protection and the carnauba waxes will all add a layer of gloss and depth for the perfect finishing touch.
Is the FMJ compatible with just about any carnuba wax?
Old 08-16-2006, 09:02 AM   #18
Greg@DetailedImage.com

The FMJ works with any carnauba waxes. Some of the lower quality carnauba waxes won't bond as well with the FMJ. The three I listed work great with the FMJ, I've personally tested all of them. Both the FMJ and the carnauba waxes go on and off so easy, its a great way to get a deep shine and obviously durable protection.

Greg @ Detailed Image
Old 08-17-2006, 08:23 PM   #19
bigjae1976

Well, just bought some glass stuff and the FMJ. I'll just use up my Best of Show over the FMJ until it runs out.

Do I apply the FMJ with a buffer or is it like Zaino?
Old 08-17-2006, 10:53 PM   #20
Detailed Image
Sponsor

My Ride: Audi S4
Send a message via AIM to Detailed Image
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
Do I apply the FMJ with a buffer or is it like Zaino?
I personally love to apply FMJ w/ a buffer and a Black Finishing Pad speed setting 3.5 - 4. Goes on easy and removes even easier!

Thanks again for your support.

Sincerely,

George @ Detailed Image

Wash & Dry Products, Clay Bars, Polishes, Sealants, and Waxes
10offe46 - Discount Code for 10% Off for e46fanatics members
Detail University - Detailing Enthusiast Discussion Forum
Detailed Image is offline   Reply With Quote