E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2006, 04:27 PM   #1
Clockwork

My Ride: E46, E31, E53
HID Kelvin Luminescense (sp?)

Hi guys, i just bought and in stalled a set of 5000k prolumens for my foglamps. I am noticiing they do not seem to luminate the street signs or highway signs that are luminesent (sp?) like my factory night time HID lights.

SO my question is, would a 6000k HID kit make street signs and signs/objects, that can illuminate, show brighter than a 5000k HID set?

thanx,
Mike
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:28 PM   #2
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
6000K has less lumens than 5000K i realized this after i bought it as well, that HID fogs are more for show. They are brighter than your stock halogen fogs but they are too low, so like i said mostly for show.

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:30 PM   #3
donjuan45i

My Ride: e.quart.seis
I dont think fogs should be lighting up the street signs Could be wrong tho.

but I think just about any light reflects off of street signs. If they dont reflect it either the signs, or your light source isnt hitting them. I have played with a wide variety of kelvins, each one reflected off signs, just in different colors, accordingly with the temperature of the bulbs.
donjuan45i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:43 PM   #4
Clockwork

I am just surprised cause i thought since the foglight housing just spits light out everywhere in front, instead of it being a nice neat beam like the HID factory set, that the light from my HID fogs would luminate the street signs a bit.
OF course i do not want to blind traffic, do not get me wrong. It is just something i thought would happen to a small degree, but they do not seem to brighten up objects that are over 5 ft off the ground.
Just curious if a 6000k set would do that a bit better, withouth blinding traffic. I would not sacrafice safety of oncommers though, i mean whoo wants to be in a head on colision cause you blinded the on comming traffic.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:49 PM   #5
donjuan45i

I dont think 6000k would give you what you want, because 6000k should actually put out a little less light than your 5000k. Headlights halogen/hid all have some sort of cutoff, just like projectors. High beams are the only source of light on a car that dont, and are completely un restricted. But as with low beam headlights, Same thing with fogs, I was noticing this when I recently replaced my foglamps. they need aimed and have a very noticeable cutoff that is at like 3 feet high on a wall, with the car like 20 feet away, that is straight, and level all the way accross

Id imagine if you were to get Hid fogs, all you would be doing is increasing the light ouput that that fogs normally put out. So Id think you would see an increase in intensity of light (on foreground)and possibly light up a little more further, down the road compared to halogen. But I dont think you would see an increase where light isnt supposed light up.

Last edited by donjuan45i; 08-19-2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:51 PM   #6
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
I am just surprised cause i thought since the foglight housing just spits light out everywhere in front, instead of it being a nice neat beam like the HID factory set, that the light from my HID fogs would luminate the street signs a bit.
OF course i do not want to blind traffic, do not get me wrong. It is just something i thought would happen to a small degree, but they do not seem to brighten up objects that are over 5 ft off the ground.
Just curious if a 6000k set would do that a bit better, withouth blinding traffic. I would not sacrafice safety of oncommers though, i mean whoo wants to be in a head on colision cause you blinded the on comming traffic.
dude did u not read my post, i just told u 6000K has less lumens than 5000K so 5000K is brighter

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 04:56 PM   #7
Clockwork

dude i did read your post, and the info was exactly what i needed thanx. I was just restating that was wondering (before i got your answer) if a 6000k kit would have been better. now i know. thanx.
Old 08-19-2006, 04:58 PM   #8
donjuan45i

Take a look at this pic, has only fogs on. If you take most any car out at night and turn off headlights and leave fogs on (ive done this) you will get limited lighting that sticks low to the ground, and doesnt really reach street signs. Id only think on trucks that are high off the ground, fogs might get some street sign lumination. Otherwise, you would have to point your fogs up, but like you said, you would be blinding everyone. Just like the name says, fogs are the most functional when fog is present, Because fog is usually at its worst at about healight level, and up. Fogs are low, and therefore arent as affected like headlight beams are.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:00 PM   #9
Clockwork

donjuan, do you know what kelvin rating those fogs were? my 5000k seems a bit more yellow than that. too bad.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:02 PM   #10
Clockwork

oh does anyone know if the foglamp housing can be taken apart? I have a small bit of sand/dust inside mine, even though they are NOT cracked or anything. I was hoping to clean them out, and maybe that will somehow produce a cleaner light too.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:03 PM   #11
donjuan45i

They are fogs, with cool blue lenses, these actually have the lens in front of the bulb tinted with a slight blue. but I think are regular oem temp.

Your housing could be dirty, maybe you can clean it out, that should give you more output and whiter light.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:04 PM   #12
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPower06 View Post
6000K has less lumens than 5000K i realized this after i bought it as well, that HID fogs are more for show. They are brighter than your stock halogen fogs but they are too low, so like i said mostly for show.
I would have to disagree... My driver's side xenon headlight has been out since the begining of the summer and I have had problems getting a new one sent to me under warranty... in the meantime, I have just been driving with the halos, parking lights, and 6k xenon fog lights on. Even on the poorest lit streets in the area, I have no problems seeing at night (and that is with NO headlights)

Not only do they look cool, but they also really work well

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 05:04 PM   #13
Clockwork

those are non hid fogs? just a tinted plastic infront of the foglight bulb? wow, that looks great.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:05 PM   #14
donjuan45i

lol just brought that up, I think you should be able too, on my sedan it seems like it can be done, however you drive a coupe. I too noticed, when I got new fogs, light ouput was much whiter and ouput increased. You could clean out your housing, but if your lens is pitted, I would suggest, just buying some new ones.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:08 PM   #15
BMW330xi01

My Ride: 98 Skyline
fogs are NOT designed to be used as your primary driving light source.

a good fog light housing projects the light directly to the foreground and lights up the side of the road to stay below fog and to light the side of the road so you can see the markings.

5,000K is going to be brighter than 6,000K but BARLEY! you notice the diffrence when you get into the 8K ranges.

NO LONGER INSTALLING IN CONNECTICUT. I AM LOCATED IN JAPAN NOW

LUIS ESCOBAR
L.EscobarJr@yahoo.com

INSTALL PHOTOS
BMW330xi01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 05:09 PM   #16
Clockwork

donjuan, yeah my plastic housing is quite pitted cause of the stupid rocks tehy put on the roads here in winter.
any rough idea of what you think/know they cost? and would i have to buy the entire housing?
the lights i have are the same kind as the DIY on this website shows for bulb replacement.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:09 PM   #17
donjuan45i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000_328CI View Post
I would have to disagree... My driver's side xenon headlight has been out since the begining of the summer and I have had problems getting a new one sent to me under warranty... in the meantime, I have just been driving with the halos, parking lights, and 6k xenon fog lights on. Even on the poorest lit streets in the area, I have no problems seeing at night (and that is with NO headlights)

Not only do they look cool, but they also really work well
Yea, my fogs make quite a difference when I use them. which is 80% of the time. They make the beam of light wider, and light up the area in front below, where headlights cant reach. I would imagine with HID fogs, the utility and light would be much greater. Too bad I only got halogens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
those are non hid fogs? just a tinted plastic infront of the foglight bulb? wow, that looks great.
Yup.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:10 PM   #18
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
Just to give you an idea, here is how my HID fogs 6k look...

and while fog lights are designed to light up the road right in front of you, the M3 fog housings seem to project light straight ahead... plus, they are designed for halogen bulbs so they scatter lots of light around... combine that housing with HIDs and you have A LOT of light going out in front of you. The only reason I am against doing this as a replacement for headlights is that it does potentially run the risk of annoying oncoming traffic

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze

Last edited by 2000_328CI; 08-19-2006 at 05:13 PM.
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 05:13 PM   #19
Clockwork

2000 328Ci, I love how your fogs match your angel eyes. I have the angel eyes too and my fogs are just a bit yellower (if i can say that for sakes of a lesser word) than the angel eyes and my night light factory HID. yours match great.
Old 08-19-2006, 05:15 PM   #20
Clockwork

if i drive in the dusk with just my fogs on, they do look nice and bluish compared to the halogen daytime running lights i have to have on, BUT whne i switch my night lights on, the fogs start to look like factory color, but they stil produce a great amount of light off to the sides and infront of the car, before the HID night lights hit the ground. kinda fills in that gap, you may not even know is there.