E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-18-2006, 08:21 PM   #1
Titan3er

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i ZHP
Predator Chromiums vs. DDE Raptors

Ok, believe me, i know that this has been posted 1 milllion times. I am in the middle of a conflict. I was set on ordering the Predator Chromiums until I spoke with someone at Bimmian today. They offer both, but he actually recommended the Raptors over the Chromiums, and the Raptors are $50 cheaper!!! They said the Raptors are higher quality. I know Bimmian is reputable and experienced, so I trust them, but this really threw me off.

I know that new designs have come out and things are changing, so thats why I posted this question again, for the latest and greatest. I have clicked on the links in other posts left my umnitza and jlevi, but I need another good honest opinion about the raptors. I heard they have a patented ballast...is this true? I know that the Chromiums have a slight purpilish/blueish color to them when they are turned off. Do the raptors hum at all or have problems lighting up? I read that on one of the links I followed.

Your help would be great! I want non-biased opinions if possible. I've spent SEVERAL hours reading up on this.

One last question, I live in PA but I'm probably moving south to NC in January. Is it necessary or recommended to get the heated ballasts? Are the non-heated chromiums better in colder weather than the raptors or vise versa??

Thanks for your help!

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:40 AM   #2
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
I would do a search on what most people prefer. You will find that the Chromiums are the more popular choice. They are much easier to install and use less wires to install. Not to mention they come with a full lifetime warranty and with thousands kits installed...you know it's proven
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 02:13 AM   #3
umnitza

My Ride: E39M5, Sequoia
Send a message via Yahoo to umnitza
Quote:
Originally Posted by SickE46Bimmer View Post
Ok, believe me, i know that this has been posted 1 milllion times. I am in the middle of a conflict. I was set on ordering the Predator Chromiums until I spoke with someone at Bimmian today. They offer both, but he actually recommended the Raptors over the Chromiums, and the Raptors are $50 cheaper!!! They said the Raptors are higher quality. I know Bimmian is reputable and experienced, so I trust them, but this really threw me off.

I know that new designs have come out and things are changing, so thats why I posted this question again, for the latest and greatest. I have clicked on the links in other posts left my umnitza and jlevi, but I need another good honest opinion about the raptors. I heard they have a patented ballast...is this true? I know that the Chromiums have a slight purpilish/blueish color to them when they are turned off. Do the raptors hum at all or have problems lighting up? I read that on one of the links I followed.

Your help would be great! I want non-biased opinions if possible. I've spent SEVERAL hours reading up on this.

One last question, I live in PA but I'm probably moving south to NC in January. Is it necessary or recommended to get the heated ballasts? Are the non-heated chromiums better in colder weather than the raptors or vise versa??

Thanks for your help!
I'll be happy to give you my honest and rather angry opinion.

Bimmian and I have had a minor falling out regarding the way they handle product sales for our products. Therefore, they don't really sell our products because of their refusal to do some minor things that all our other retailers are all too happy and more adequately equipped to perform.

Therefore, they have chosen to make their "bed" with an inferior product. Even though all the objectively produced data by customers that have had both proves that Crhomiums are better, there are other products you can buy for less.

You do get what you pay for.

Won't bore you with more details, but suffice it to say - search for "predator chromium + raptor" and you'll get your immediate answer.

Here's one:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...hromium+raptor

Last edited by umnitza; 08-19-2006 at 02:16 AM.
umnitza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 09:13 AM   #4
Titan3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by umnitza View Post
I've seen this link in about every post mentioning the Raptors. This is only one scenaria, and I know that a while back, Unique Design had a GB and I didn't see anyone come back with a negative response.

Can someone who has the Raptors on their car please give me a good honest response about how they feel about their Raptors?

Umnitza and JLevi, I will admit, you guys do a great job getting your product out there. You do have an awesome product and seems like you have good customer service. I just want to hear what everyone has to say about the Raptors though.

Thanks!
Old 08-19-2006, 10:20 AM   #5
umnitza

Quote:
I've seen this link in about every post mentioning the Raptors. This is only one scenaria, and I know that a while back, Unique Design had a GB and I didn't see anyone come back with a negative response.

Can someone who has the Raptors on their car please give me a good honest response about how they feel about their Raptors?

Umnitza and JLevi, I will admit, you guys do a great job getting your product out there. You do have an awesome product and seems like you have good customer service. I just want to hear what everyone has to say about the Raptors though.

Thanks!
Ask anyone with any of the angel eyes products that have been spawned since we invented the Cold Cathode technology for BMW angel eyes in its current form and everyone will tell you that they love their products and won't complain about it at all - in a test tube

That means that in isolation, people love all the products they receive as long as they don't see another one in technical detail next to it. So of course you won't hear bad publicity too often as very few customers are as discerning to even take the time to go through 3 products or 4 to get the one that they wanted in the first place.

In any comparison - side by side - the Chromiums are simply superior. That doesn't mean the other product is bad. Quite the contrary, it's a very flattering copy, and quite good at that. It's a good product, sold at a good price. But it's not the best. That's what it's about isn't it sometimes? The Best?
Old 08-19-2006, 09:10 PM   #6
Titan3er

any other opinions?
Old 08-20-2006, 01:07 AM   #7
angelzhope720

My Ride: 325
Do you really need to spend hundreds on angel eyes? You guys must have a lot of money. I paid less than half the price of the predators on ebay and they work just as good. PM if you want photos.
angelzhope720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:10 AM   #8
TitanSilber ZHP

My Ride: 08 E90 335i
Send a message via AIM to TitanSilber ZHP Send a message via Yahoo to TitanSilber ZHP

FS: Camera Mount:http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=694858
TitanSilber ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 08:50 AM   #9
SK328CI

My Ride: 2006 Jeep SRT8
Y PM, just post them here for everyone to see. I would like to see them too
Old 08-21-2006, 11:54 AM   #10
bimmian
Supporting Vendor

My Ride: 1-866-423-3799
Thumbs Up

Quote:

Bimmian and I have had a minor falling out regarding the way they handle product sales for our products. Therefore, they don't really sell our products because of their refusal to do some minor things that all our other retailers are all too happy and more adequately equipped to perform.

Therefore, they have chosen to make their "bed" with an inferior product. Even though all the objectively produced data by customers that have had both proves that Crhomiums are better, there are other products you can buy for less.

Won't bore you with more details, but suffice it to say - search for "predator chromium + raptor" and you'll get your immediate answer.

Here's one:

Hi,
This is amanda from Bimmian. I was just reading up on your information. If you are moving to a colder climate I would recomend the Raptor heated, because they work better in a colder clmate and also they do not freeze up and do not have as many problems when the weather is cold. The Chromium are also a good choice but not in colder weather. If you have any other questions please feel free to e-mail me at Amanda@bimmian.com. I would be glad to help with whatever you need.
bimmian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 12:24 PM   #11
SK328CI

what temperatures are the cold weather package recommended for?
Old 08-21-2006, 12:46 PM   #12
umnitza

Quote:
Do they cost more to upgrade to?
Free upgrade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SK328CI View Post
what temperatures are the cold weather package recommended for?
As cold as Calgary in the winter.

Old 08-21-2006, 01:09 PM   #13
SK328CI

Quote:
Free upgrade.

As cold as Calgary in the winter.

well i live in NYC, the summers can get to temps of the "feels like 110F" and the winters can get to the "feels like -15F"

would the cold weather package be more of what i should get or the standard should do just fine?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:10 PM   #14
Titan3er

is there any downfall to the cold weather package?
Old 08-21-2006, 01:11 PM   #15
SK328CI

Quote:
from what it says on modbargains site, the life expectency is lowered with the CWP, but with lifetime warranty, i dont think thats a problem
Old 08-21-2006, 01:14 PM   #16
umnitza

Quote:
well i live in NYC, the summers can get to temps of the "feels like 110F" and the winters can get to the "feels like -15F"

would the cold weather package be more of what i should get or the standard should do just fine?
Calgary feels like -40F. So you should be ok. In fact, most of the standard chromiums simply don't have the issues with Cold Weather.

Quote:
Not much of one, the decrease in life span is ultimately negligible.

Quote:
from what it says on modbargains site, the life expectency is lowered with the CWP, but with lifetime warranty, i dont think thats a problem
This information is correct.
Old 08-21-2006, 02:21 PM   #17
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Quote:
Even with the decrease in life span, your angel eyes will operate for over 8 years if you use them for 2-3 hours a day
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 03:04 PM   #18
bimmian
Supporting Vendor

Quote:

Here's one:
I think there is some confusion here.

We sell both the Raptor and Predator products. To us, we have not heard that one is any better than the other from our customers, including local installed sets.

We have no problem with Matt or Umnitza, the only reason why we encourage customers to purchase Raptor brand products is because the warranty is more convenient for our customers. If a Raptor ring goes bad, anytime, the ring in its entirety is replaced without question, and without charge.

If a predator ring goes bad, we have to pay for shipping to us of a new light bulb, we have to then open up a plastic ring, insert the light bulb inside, and epoxy it back together again, taking time and costing money. In the case that a bulb is sent directly to the customer from umnitza (sometimes with a shipping charge), that customer is forced to mess around with replacing the bulb inside the ring.

Other than the after warranty service, we like both products equally and are happy to provide customers with whichever product they prefer.

We actually make slightly better margins on the Predator product, so from that standpoint, I would prefer everyone purchases the predator over the raptor, but at the same time, it is in the best interest of the customer to have a hassle-free warranty.

Thanks!

Last edited by bimmian; 08-21-2006 at 03:09 PM. Reason: addition
Old 08-21-2006, 03:14 PM   #19
bimmian
Supporting Vendor

We just got another M3, perhaps i will install 1/2 a set of predators CWP and 1/2 a set of raptor heated and then make a note here about it.
Old 08-21-2006, 03:16 PM   #20
Titan3er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmian View Post
We just got another M3, perhaps i will install 1/2 a set of predators CWP and 1/2 a set of raptor heated and then make a note here about it.

That would be great!