E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2002, 04:31 PM   #1
ehong

My Ride: 323i
need help with my headunit install

I'm trying to install a new headunit for my E46. I'm having a lot of trouble putting the headunit in with so many cables dangling at the back of my headunit. There is very little room back there to "squish" it all. I bought the Scosche harness that fits with the factory connector and that bulkiness is causing a lot of problems. I bought the Alpine 7894 MP3 headunit. It has some DC-DC converter box that takes up even more space. I see the factory connector comes from the back left side but I can't push the cable down because it just doesn't want to go. I opened up the panel under the steering wheel on the drivers side to see if I can pull out the wires from there but no luck. I'm at a loss on what to do. I thought about pulling out the temperature control unit so I can remove the bracket that holds the headunit and the temperature control unit but I don't know how to pull out the temperature control unit. I heard you just push it out by putting your hand behind it and pushing but it just doesn't seem to want to go. I don't want to push too hard fearing I might break it. I'm using an external amplifier. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! BTW, this is my first headunit install. I have a 1999 323i. Thanks!

edward
ehong is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-01-2002, 05:16 PM   #2
Delirium
yo mama

My Ride: -
remove the temp controls & 2 screws, remove the AC vents & 2 screws.. the entire cage in the dash will slide out & there is actually tons of room back there! good luck!
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2002, 05:37 PM   #3
ehong

running the RCA cables from the front to back

Thanks for the info. I was wondering what's the easiest way to run the RCA cables from the headunit to the trunk where I have the amp. I have 3 pairs of RCAs. I currently took out the glove compartment and run the cables along the right side of the car (the non-driver's side in North America). I want to tuck the cables under those plastic cover thingies on the bottom of the door openings. What's the easier way to lift those covers? Do I just pull up really hard? Thanks again.

edward
Old 11-03-2002, 09:48 PM   #4
Delirium
yo mama

My Ride: -
im not sure about those things, dont they pull straight up?
Delirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2002, 01:45 AM   #5
ehong

on railings

Well, I pulled up really hard on those plastic covers at the base of the door openings and found out that was the wrong way to do it.

The cover by the front door passenger side has a rail on the bottom side and slides along four square clips on the floor that the railing rides on. I broke the railing on each end of the cover. I think you are supposed to slide the cover towards the front of the car, but you have to remove the plastic cover just in front of it where the passenger's right foot would be.