E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 27 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-17-2007, 05:24 PM   #61
PYRITE

My Ride: 1965 Ford Mustang
THIS THREAD MUST BE ARCHIVED WITH IMAGES HOLY CRAP :bowdown:

Welcome "KRYPTONITE"...
PYRITE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 04:44 PM   #62
SammyV

My Ride: CB M3
Send a message via AIM to SammyV
any update on getting SES and transmission fault light fixed?
SammyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 07:43 PM   #63
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
Did your shop unplug the EGS Module? If not that might be why you are getting a tranny fault code?

I know this, when I plug in my EGS Module I get:

2 Hard Tranny fault codes due to the Cars computer looking for the auto tranny, but if I disconnect EGS I get:

1 Fault code P0600 - Signial Miscommunication error (I think related to the DME) Also DSC and Cruise Control are deactivated) It could also be a CAN bus issue for I beleive DSC resides on that bus as well and may need recoding.

I haven't done anything with my car lately for my brother hydrolocked it, and its just been sitting in my shop and I just pick away at it.

Hopefully by spring I will get all the computer work sorted out.

Jared
Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2007, 06:28 AM   #64
SammyV

I believe its 2 codes, I need to pickup a code reader to really know for sure, I would rather the 2 hard tranny fault codes then having DSC and cruise control deactivated, hopefully you can figure out and get to the bottom of this issue!
When the car was switched to manual software i do not believe there was a donor car involved, my shop has a programmer, not a gt1, something else, and was able to switch to manual settings, and car was brought to dealer to have them double check and recode the car for manual prior to having the ECU reflashed by active for my supercharger
Old 03-26-2007, 11:27 AM   #65
SammyV

where is the EGS Module located, I want to try unplugging it and seeing how the car responds, thanks!
Old 03-26-2007, 05:08 PM   #66
Ivegotissues666

Quote:
Originally Posted by SammyV View Post
where is the EGS Module located, I want to try unplugging it and seeing how the car responds, thanks!
It in the engine bay in the ECU box by the drivers side. It have 3 plugs coming out of it, I beleive the color of the plugs are blue, I have a picture and if I get a chance I can host it later.

Jared
Old 03-27-2007, 07:08 PM   #67
SammyV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivegotissues666 View Post
It in the engine bay in the ECU box by the drivers side. It have 3 plugs coming out of it, I beleive the color of the plugs are blue, I have a picture and if I get a chance I can host it later.

Jared
please upload that picture, thanks again for all the help Jared! you have been extremely helpful
Old 03-27-2007, 10:18 PM   #68
Ivegotissues666

Quote:
please upload that picture, thanks again for all the help Jared! you have been extremely helpful
Here in this picture it's A7000, there should be 3 blue plugs that all connect to the EGS module which you shouldn't need anymore.

Jared
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	egs location.JPG
Views:	252
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	220508  
Old 03-28-2007, 12:26 AM   #69
SammyV

do you really know the reason why the DSC turns off when you disconnect these three plugs? If they are no longer needed, why does DSC disable, shouldnt this have been taken care of if the car was "programmed for manual" at the dealer?

Thanks again for the pics/help
Old 03-28-2007, 12:50 AM   #70
BMWPower06

My Ride: ///M5 & VW Group Car
Send a message via AIM to BMWPower06
damn most of the pics r gone

Sold: ACS 330Ci :(
BMWPower06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #71
bmw_chuzo

My Ride: HPF M3
Send a message via MSN to bmw_chuzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWPower06 View Post
damn most of the pics r gone
the pics are still there, you just need to refresh your internet explorer .. It works for me
Old 03-28-2007, 07:32 PM   #72
bmw_chuzo

My Ride: HPF M3
Send a message via MSN to bmw_chuzo
Quote:
do you really know the reason why the DSC turns off when you disconnect these three plugs? If they are no longer needed, why does DSC disable, shouldnt this have been taken care of if the car was "programmed for manual" at the dealer?

Thanks again for the pics/help
I think the DSC/ASC/ABS needs to be reprogrammed also.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:21 PM   #73
Ivegotissues666

^

Exactly

SammyV: Your shop/dealer probably didn't take this into account for they didn't disconnect the EGS Module I'm assuming?

Jared
Old 03-30-2007, 11:15 AM   #74
SammyV

the EGS is still plugged in, I unplugged the three blue plugs, and sure enough the SES is gone, the tranny indicator light is still lit, and the DSC is now off, so i went ahead and reconnected it, I would rather have DSC and a SES light for the time being... I wonder what needs to be reprogrammed in the DSC/ABS?
You would think the dealer would know what the fk needs to be done, but of course, they are unwilling and useless when it comes to mods like this..
Old 03-30-2007, 06:01 PM   #75
Ivegotissues666

Quote:
the EGS is still plugged in, I unplugged the three blue plugs, and sure enough the SES is gone, the tranny indicator light is still lit, and the DSC is now off, so i went ahead and reconnected it, I would rather have DSC and a SES light for the time being... I wonder what needs to be reprogrammed in the DSC/ABS?
You would think the dealer would know what the fk needs to be done, but of course, they are unwilling and useless when it comes to mods like this..
Not exactly sure, but probably something to do with the DSC/ABS Module looking for the EGS Module which theoretically wouldn't be there anymore considering there is no auto tranny. So probably some more coding thats different on Manuals than Autos.

If I had the neccessary equipment I'm sure I could figure it out, but unfortuantely I don't. Probably the only other solution other than coding would be to get the DSC/ABS Module replaced by one from the same year car only 5 Speed.

The tranny out indicator should be disabled if your shop had coded the ZCS (Body Electronics) Module I beleive. I know my shop took care of mine.

Jared
Old 04-02-2007, 01:44 PM   #76
espn9987

My Ride: BMW 330i
any new news on the software issues?
espn9987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2007, 12:12 PM   #77
SammyV

bump ^^
Old 05-02-2007, 02:16 PM   #78
SammyV

any updates on the programming SES light issue?
Old 06-03-2007, 02:35 PM   #79
chelseyasc

My Ride: 323i AC Schnitzer
Send a message via Yahoo to chelseyasc
did you use the same driveshaft, master cyl., can you use the auto trannys flywheel, and your saying i can still use the auto trans. radiator still. werent the headers on the autos different from manual. i'm curios my tranny gave out and have money saved and might go with the 5 speed swap. also will i need a new rear end(differential)..... thanx............
chelseyasc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:46 PM   #80
Ivegotissues666

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseyasc View Post
did you use the same driveshaft, master cyl., can you use the auto trannys flywheel, and your saying i can still use the auto trans. radiator still. werent the headers on the autos different from manual. i'm curios my tranny gave out and have money saved and might go with the 5 speed swap. also will i need a new rear end(differential)..... thanx............
1. Brake Master cylinder is the same for both auto/manual, you need a clutch master cylinder however.
2. Driveshafts are different autos are shorter so you will need a manuals.
3. No you cannot use the autos flywheel.
4. Yes you can still use your radiator, you just need to swap out the mounting plate thats different for a manuals for it doesn't have the trans cooler hoses connected to it and you need a new radiator drain plug adaptor peice I think the new one is longer (It's either longer or shorter forget which)
5. No the exhaust manifolds (Not headers) are not different between the same model car.
6. Just keep your shorter geared final drive of 3.46 since you have a 323ci right? If you don't like it, there are plenty of people on the forums who would most likely swap with you.

Jared