E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #121
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhogg View Post
First of all thanks to Jared for this thread. I did the conversion on my wife's 325iT and the result was pretty good. Her words were: "It's like the car is happy now!" Indeed it is, and also quicker, with more positive feedback, and more fun to drive.

So some good things and what I learned:

Order your transmission first. I got my transmission, Drive shaft, and flywheel from Bavarian Auto Recycling delivered to Canada for less than a $1,000. I also ordered parts I didn't need like the shift pins as my transmission was an updated one post 2003 I guess. So I would have saved some $ if I had ordered the transmission first.

I ordered my parts from Pelican Parts, in retrospect I could have ordered a bunch of this from Bavarian and saved some $.

The clutch and SSK were from Turner. The SSK is the most expensive part but the shifting feel is excellent - notchy/precise, short and not too much effort!

Assembly was straight forward forward following the instructions contained here. The biggest mistake I made was not thoroughly prewiring the reverse lights. I have them wired but not connected to the transmission. I do not have the connector that plugs into the transmission and have not yet been able to source one. Trying to wire it when the transmission is in is difficult

What issues to I have?

1) PDC (Park Distance control) is not yet operative but I do not think this will be an issue. I have the reverse signal figured out once I get the connector. PDC should just require review of the wiring diagrams to find out where the signal is supposed to go.

2) Cruise works but the clutch does not disengage the cruise. It is wired but the car is not yet coded (more on that below)

3) After turning off the car it takes about 30 seconds for it to reset and respond to it being turned on. In other words if you stall you can't just crank it, you need to wait first. This is a safety issue, and one I expected to be corrected when recoded.

4) The big issue is that the Dealer, actually BMW Canada refused to recode the car. I had checked with the dealer prior to doing the conversion, and although they hadn't done this they felt they could reload the program. So even though they quoted $650, I took it in to have it done. Part of the cost was the Tech wanted to check my wiring first. So he did that, confirmed it was correct, sent the "PUMA" request to BMW for recompiled coding and was told that "due to potential Federal compliance and safety issues" they would not provide a recompiled program as it did not have a correct wiring harness. Oops - still cost me $135 for the "diagnosis".

The recoding is not essential, but I would like to get it done. There is an independent that the parts guys at the dealership recommended, but I haven't made contact yet. My normal mechanic has suggested some "reprogramming sources" where I send them my DME or ECU or whatever is necessary. More investigation is needed.

So I have added this post to give thanks to the previous posters for their guidance and add my small bit to the knowledge base. The conversion was initiated because of a faulty Automatic transmission that was increasingly putting the car into limp mode, and a desire to put a tow bar on the car. (I installed a Witter yesterday). This is effectively our utility vehicle and we expect to keep it a long time. With the manual and with the tow bar it meant we didn't need to look at a new or newer SUV or pickup. I am probably a little underwater on the car value wise, but the best solution for that is use.

Would I do this again? Absolutely. The car is now a joy to drive, and feels much stronger.
Too bad you are closer or else I could do the coding work for you. Good to hear everything wnt smoothly for you.

Jared
Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 PM   #122
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
On another note to anyone that might want this conversion done. I can do it for you for a very reasonable price including all the coding that needs to be done. I have done this for 2 other fanatics on this boards cars already and both worked out well. Just let me know if interested.

Thanks Jared
Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:39 PM   #123
toddeshpeter

My Ride: 1999 328i E46
Just ordered the 5 speed tranny, driveline, and flywheel from bmrparts.com. They are a BMW dismantler in CA. The tranny was 375, the driveline (rebuilt with new center bearing and balanced) was 199, and the flywheel was 199. I also bought a warranty on the tranny for 131 that covers lifetime parts and 2 years labor. I have a few questions for you guys.

1. When I checked the part numbers on realoem.com it said I needed the same tranny Neil used the s5d 320z. bmrparts said I need a s5d 310z. The guy said the 320z was for 330i and 310z is for the 328i. I have a 02/1999 328i. So I ordered the 310z that he said was what I needed even though it conflicts with realoem.com. This makes me a little nervous and was curious what you guys thought.

2. The cheapest new flywheel I could find anywhere was 499 for a Luk flywheel. bmrparts.com which is where I bought the tranny from had a used flywheel for 199 so I ordered the flywheel too. He said it is inspected and no hot spots or anything and that flywheels rarely go out. I just wanted your thoughts on this and should I have spent the extra 300 for a new one or should the used one be ok?

Thank you guys for your help. I am getting really excited about this project!
toddeshpeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 01:20 AM   #124
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
Hey Jared,

Can you correct the links on images, please? And can you share the DOC (or PDF) file with the DIY? Thanks btw, great writeup (even tho half of pics are absent at the moment).
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2012, 01:25 AM   #125
BlaineVB

My Ride: 2001 325xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nervous View Post
Hey Jared,

Can you correct the links on images, please? And can you share the DOC (or PDF) file with the DIY? Thanks btw, great writeup (even tho half of pics are absent at the moment).
Can you please do this?
BlaineVB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:09 AM   #126
robka

My Ride: E46 328ci
Someone standing in contact with ivegotissues? I would like to swap my transmission as well in next 2 weeks. Therefore I need pictures of the broklen links.
robka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 09:40 AM   #127
Nervous

My Ride: 01 330CI 6MT ZSP EU3
There are bunch of other swap topics, just search. I've gathered many of them in the first post of my own swap topic (see sig).
Nervous is offline   Reply With Quote