E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-21-2016, 11:05 PM   #1
cobalt60

My Ride: 330i ZHP
My review and trip report of the EONON D5150Z head unit

Hi everyone,

I made some posts about swapping out my Business CD for a head unit that could accept a USB iPhone input. My goal is simply to charge the iPhone while it digitally pushes music to the head unit. I already had an AUX cable input, which sounds honestly quite bad, so it was worth a few hundred bucks to charge plus improve audio quality.

Options seemed to be "interface to make the existing unit work with iPod," or "replace head unit with generic Alpine / Pioneer, etc." or "more custom-fit option for the E46." The last group was too expensive for me to consider, so the EONON D5150Z appealed to me. I emailed their support to ask if the unit would support a USB connection to my iPhone 6, and when they said yes and noted the "sale price" of the unit, I made a snap decision to go for it.

Install:
Spoiler: This may be the part I rate the highest, along with service / support. Can't see why I wouldn't rate it 10/10. Wires are a good fit. There's some time needed to get the wires out of the way of the rear of the unit, but that is well-covered in other reviews, and not really a big deal. It's easy to pull the GPS, Mic, rear-view camera, and auxiliary subwoofer cables through area where I removed the glove box. The toughest part is routing wires all the way to the rear for the camera, but you can exchange time for skill here (e.g. if you're not good and confident, just plan to take a much longer time to do the job).

Only tip I'd have is that I bought a plastic trim removal tool, which was essential for me to make this a clean and easy job.

Boot-up:
Startup is quick, maybe 7 seconds or less. My unit seems to generally startup into the feature it was last left on. That is, if I had the radio playing, the same station at the same volume comes on when I next start the car. With Bluetooth audio, once the iPhone confirms it's sync'd, I just need to hit "play" and all's good. Basically, this is all as-expected and good.

Controls:
I emailed EONON about the steering wheel controls. At first, they were very spotty, like one in four button presses would actually work. However, after a week or so, the wheel buttons seem much better, so let's just ignore the initial problems.

For review purposes, the steering wheel's volume, track skip, app rotation, and call buttons all work.

• Issue:
    If Automatic headlights are on, the unit seems to "force" the lights and radio to stay on, even after the car is off and key is removed. The only way to turn the lights and radio off is to switch off the automatic lights. Clearly, this defeats the purpose of the automatic setting. I have no idea what to do about this. Email response from EONON was to unplug the CANBUS, which I did (lights work fine with no radio, issue only happens when radio is hooked up).

UPDATE: Support had a fix that involved disabling one wire. I believe this works, so not sure if it's fix-able for others.

Feature> Radio:

Radio works and sounds fine. I haven't experienced any issues with antenna reception or anything unexpected. Support email showed me how to save stations into the save slots, which maybe wasn't clear, but all good.
  • Issue:
    At first, my Radio got no text information from stations, but this was fixed when the station-save question was answered. Cool.

Feature> USB:
There is a micro USB port on the front, and a provided cable that converts to female USB.

See below for the error message I get if I try to plug an iPhone into the USB jack...

• issue:
    There is no rear-access USB, so I cannot route a cable for my iPhone to anywhere useful to charge and play music / nav.

UPDATE: To be fair, the site shows that there is no rear USB, so this really was my fault.

• Issue:
    the USB on this unit also does not support iPhones. Customer Service noted that the D5150 has rear USB and support for iPod, but the D5150Z has neither.

UPDATE: So, while my primary goal was to route a USB to my iPhone for audio, this won't work on this unit. Customer support was helpful and tried to offer alternative options. Again, the site doesn't actually SAY this is supported, so my bad for poor reading. My confusion came from the install video, which features an older model that did have these features. Ah well...

Feature> Bluetooth:
Bluetooth seems to work. Sync was easy and it picks up the sync'd iPhone 6 upon startup. If an app like Spotify / SoundCloud / etc. was playing on the phone, the Play button on the EONON now allows for playback, track skip, etc. Good.

For a while, my address book was filled with Chinese characters, but that went away so I'm just ignoring it. Calls sound "OK" but not much worse that the best in-car BT systems out there. The interface is really minimal, with some odd button placements.

• issue:
    Bluetooth audio works, but the screen for BT audio does not display audio information. Not broken, but could improve. See pictures below to judge for yourself.

Feature> GPS:
I went ahead and tried using iGo Primo, per recommendations on this forum, and it's just fine. I think I need to get a more updated set of maps, but the software seems OK. It's no Google Maps or Waze, though... which is what I'd be using via my phone if there was a USB connect. There's an option to automatically turn down the audio volume while GPS talks, which is nice but I'd recommend setting the talking and beeping to minimums if you go this route. Nice once it's dialed-in.

Feature> SD Card:
Oddly, if you load a SD card up with audio, video, etc, you can play those files back. I've never understood the desirability of video playback in a car, but honestly this unit seems to handle a WIDE variety of video file types - I think I tried AVI, MPEG, MKV, MP4, and a few others. This section also has its own totally different interface, which is ... not bad at all... just unexpected.

Seems nice, but not something I personally need.

Feature> Reverse Camera:
My model came with a free camera. Neat.. Well, except that this reverse camera doesn't fit beatifully on the back of the E46. Perhaps there are ways, but it would stick way out, and be off-center. Or maybe you could mount it almost at ground level?? Anyway, I bought a different one, mounted to a license plate frame, which works fine. The swap to image is snappy, and keeps the audio playing in the background as expected. It'll come on even while the unit it booting up. See picture below for it "in action."

Feature> Everything else (AVIN, DVR, other stuff):
I don't honestly know what some of these options are. I wish I could just remove them from the UI. See the "home" picture below for the full list of options.

• issue:
    All these features are included in the UI, and then also in the rotation of options you click through with the steering wheel's R/T button. I asked Customer Service if this could be modified, they said no.

UPDATE: This is not too big a deal, and kinda the same situation on a Pioneer or other head unit with a few too many options available.

Audio Quality:

The unit sounds better BY A MILE than the Business CD's AUX input. Like, lifting a heavy curtain out of the way better. Despite minor disappointments listed above, the couple hundred bucks is worth it for the upgrade in quality when streaming audio. Without the USB iPhone connect, I am mostly using BT Audio, which is still sounds really quite good.

Support:

I saw some negative posts about EONON service on this forum before purchasing, so I was prepared for the worst. I'll say that every email I've sent since December has been answered in 24 hours or less. They've been entirely polite when pointing out that the install video, though posted to the D5150Z page, was in fact for the D5150, then clearly stated that my hopes for iPod and rear-USB support were never to come true. Sure, the English is "as a second language," but generally clear and I never felt like they left me hanging or waiting too long for a reply.

In fact, I just noticed: I made a note of the poor response I was experiencing from the steering controls a couple emails back. In their recent reply, they actually REMINDED me that I had complained and never resolved my complaint, asking me to upload a video of my issue. That's pretty good service, to be honest, so I really have to say that I feel positive about their desire to support the product, even when it is missing some significant features that would make the unit really work for me.

Final Verdict:
At first, I was disappointed about the iPhone hard-wire connect, but the unit is not explicitly broken in any way, so I do not plan to try to send it back.

If the issues I have don't concern you, this unit might be perfect for you. It looks slick, and features that I've used seem to work well.

Ping the thread with any questions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0016.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	622637   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0013.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	622638   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	622639   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	68.8 KB
ID:	622640  

Name:	IMG_0017.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	102.0 KB
ID:	622641   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0020.jpg
Views:	1045
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	622642   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0019.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	622643  

Last edited by cobalt60; 01-30-2016 at 01:54 AM.
cobalt60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-21-2016, 11:27 PM   #2
mleindek

My Ride: 2009 X5
Good review!

I want to upgrade my audio and I've been searching since a couple of months but didn't find something that convinces me or doesen't cost 1/3 of the car market price.
Reading the reviews and experiences in the forum honestly I wouldn't spend a dime in Eonon.

LOL they don't even check the grammar, don't want to know the components inside.

Last edited by mleindek; 01-21-2016 at 11:30 PM.
mleindek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2016, 11:46 PM   #3
cobalt60

Just to clarify, I wanted to provide an honest experience report, but I do think that many people might LOVE this unit. If you just want a radio, nav, and BT streaming center, you might never think twice about the stuff that bothers me. I plan to update this post after a month or so to give insight on whether the unit is really working for me or not.

Indeed, that I posted that pic to show that once your confidence in the product is in question, seeing layout and spelling issue like that made me re-think my purchase decision
Old 01-22-2016, 02:06 PM   #4
generalvp

My Ride: 05 330ci
That's a pretty thorough review. I used to have the GM5150 and it had similar spelling errors and a host of other features that don't work well. It seems after several models and generations, Eonon is still the same company that produces true budget units. I now have an Avant 2 and though not perfect, it's still alot better than my old GM5150. Let us know how it works out once you really start using it in the next couple of weeks.
generalvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 07:33 PM   #5
mleindek

My Ride: 2009 X5
Quote:
Originally Posted by generalvp View Post
I now have an Avant 2 and though not perfect, it's still alot better than my old GM5150.
Would like to know more about this, I'm about to buy and the AVIN is on the possible units list.
mleindek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 09:20 PM   #6
dan4081

My Ride: 2000 323i
I believe the 5150z you purchased is an older model...and probably why you were able to purchase it for a discounted price.
The newer GA5150F, while $50 or so more expensive, would probably take care of the little issues you are having now.

It can be confusing with the 3 or 4 Eonon models, the Avin, Dynavin, Navall, Pumpkin, etc etc....but research is the key
Hopefully you will still enjoy the stereo even with the niggles you've run into!
dan4081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 11:36 PM   #7
cobalt60

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan4081 View Post
I believe the 5150z you purchased is an older model...and probably why you were able to purchase it for a discounted price.
The newer GA5150F, while $50 or so more expensive, would probably take care of the little issues you are having now.

It can be confusing with the 3 or 4 Eonon models, the Avin, Dynavin, Navall, Pumpkin, etc etc....but research is the key
Hopefully you will still enjoy the stereo even with the niggles you've run into!

Would be REALLY disappointing if that was the case. I wasn't very price sensitive, to be honest, I just figured my needs were basic - just take the digital signal from my iPhone via USB (and ideally, let me install the USB cable is a slick way). That said, I don't think I'd want to pay $600 more per unit to get it perfect.

Those other units looked like they emphasized the Android OS, and its ability to do tons of useless (to me) stuff like play games and mirror an Android device.

I dunno, I guess part of me is hopeful that there are some software fixes that EONON could provide that might help, but my rational side knows that's not likely.

My hope is currently with your sentiment - I'd like to make this purchase work "well enough" for my needs
Old 01-23-2016, 11:16 AM   #8
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
AND......here is another thread like this..... Ive tried to let threads like this do the talking and stay out of it, but people keep getting burned by the various knock off units despite the ample warning available on these forum threads. Sorry that happened Cobalt60, but as you now know, its happened MANY times before, its just how they do business...in fact its their standard business plan, always has been.

FYI, we recently did some price restructuring with Dynavin to try to get the prices down a bit on the E46 units to try to give you guys a better alternative without breaking the bank.....yeah they are still more money, but they are not THAT much more money, and at least they work as advertised!

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-23-2016 at 11:18 AM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 01:44 PM   #9
cobalt60

Hope it's OK to ask:

What is the current price of the least expensive Dynavin that offers the features I'm looking for? Or, just a link to a features / pricing page is great, thanks.

I am seriously wondering if the EONON GA5150 would have covered all my needs. Initially I thought "I just don't need an entire Android operating system in my car to manage" but maybe that was the wrong decision factor. Jeff, sounds like you'd caution that a different EONON might just have similar issues... still wonder, though...

Perfect world, it would be amazing to test my current unit, a GA5150, and a comparable Dynavin side-by-side. Too bad shipping and whatnot makes that an unlikely option.

Thanks again everyone, and it seems like there's interest in a follow-up post so I'll do a trip report after a few weeks of install.

Last edited by cobalt60; 01-23-2016 at 01:45 PM.
Old 01-23-2016, 07:59 PM   #10
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt60 View Post
Hope it's OK to ask:

What is the current price of the least expensive Dynavin that offers the features I'm looking for? Or, just a link to a features / pricing page is great, thanks.

I am seriously wondering if the EONON GA5150 would have covered all my needs. Initially I thought "I just don't need an entire Android operating system in my car to manage" but maybe that was the wrong decision factor. Jeff, sounds like you'd caution that a different EONON might just have similar issues... still wonder, though...

Perfect world, it would be amazing to test my current unit, a GA5150, and a comparable Dynavin side-by-side. Too bad shipping and whatnot makes that an unlikely option.

Thanks again everyone, and it seems like there's interest in a follow-up post so I'll do a trip report after a few weeks of install.
Links to all things dynavin are in my signature......just click.....

I caution because of the hundreds of pages of threads here about various peoples poor experiences. As I said, I would prefer to stay out of it but threads like yours compel me to say something.... unfortunately its common that people dont read past the first page of these threads to see how things work out long term and to get a sense of the reputation, business practices, and overall character of the businesses that are mentioned here.

Last edited by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions; 01-23-2016 at 08:01 PM.
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 01:01 AM   #11
cobalt60

Hi Jeff,

Please feel welcome to contribute all you want to this thread, everyone is welcome. I made the impulse choice and will give it the time it deserves. I do hope that either EONON helps with some of the open issues, or that I learn to live with the shortcomings without ongoing disappointment.

Alternatively, maybe this unit is a first step towards me appreciating the value of a multi-function unit that isn't buggy
Old 01-26-2016, 03:46 AM   #12
cobalt60

Hi all, quick updates.

First off, EONON customer service continues to be very responsive by email. I've sent every note above, and they've pretty much addressed all my concerns (for some, they've gotten back to me a more than once, actually, just to ensure things are clear / covered).

-- They appear to have a fix for the auto headlight issue. I just haven't pulled the head unit again to test it.
-- The two radio questions have been answered, via email.
-- The USB and iPhone questions really are my fault, as much as I didn't want to admit it. Their website shows the cables and inputs, and there's honestly not any confusion other than the install video.
-- Overall, the Bluetooth works well - stable and reliable. If that was all I wanted, I'd say I'm quite happy, but the USB on the GA5150F is tempting

I'll still plan to post a trip report after a bit more time using this on the road. Thanks again for the input, folks!
Old 01-26-2016, 09:50 AM   #13
dan4081

After saying I would never buy an Eonon, I ended up breaking down and buying the GA5150F and am extremely pleased.
Its very fast, sounds great, great radio reception (it replaced an Alpine that had buttons that stopped working...it is hooked to a very elaborate system...Dynaudio speakers, Diamond audio sub infinite baffle in a custom rear deck, Rockford 360.2 processor/eq, etc.).
Point by point through your post:
1 Your unit probably boots faster...I would say GA5150F takes 20-30 seconds.
2 Steering controls work perfect every time.
3 Radio...shows song info very well on the stations I listen to here in Florida...was very pleased to see that. My Alpine didnt.
4 Has a Ipod cable that connects to the back of the unit and is run to my glove box...I havent tried it. It also has 2 usb cables off the back that also run to the glove box. I have all my music on a usb stick. One weird thing, it doesnt show album art when on the music screen, but when you go back to the home screen the song name and album art show while its playing. It looks really nice.
5 Havent streamed music by Bluetooth. Will try some soon. I will say I havent seen any chinese on mine..everything is spelled right. Interface looks good and is extremely fast switching from one source to another.
6 It has the above mentioned USB and ipod inputs, plus has 2 micro sd slots on the front...one for gps and the other for whatever music/video you want.

One issue I and many others have...wifi sucks. It makes it hard to download maps and apps.

This has been easily my favorite mod to my car...looks great, works great, really makes the car more modern and gives plenty of options for entertainment in the car.
Also, purchased this from eonon through ebay and took 5 days from Hong Kong to my door in Florida. ($357 Shipped)
Old 01-26-2016, 11:20 PM   #14
dan4081

Heres what the radio looks like:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160126_230627.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	623023   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160126_230641.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	623024  
Old 01-26-2016, 11:22 PM   #15
dan4081

And heres the home screen with a song playing off a usb stick:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20160126_230703.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	623025  
Old 01-30-2016, 02:00 AM   #16
cobalt60

Thanks dan,

I updated my original post a bit, just to reflect my experience after daily-driving the unit for some time. Overall, it's a fine piece of tech, and I'm only left wondering how the features of the GA5150F might fit my interests.

In short, if someone wants a big upgrade to audio quality (over an AUX input), or just a nice GPS / radio/ BT audio device, this one seems like the best deal on the market.

Happy to answer any questions if anyone has them, and thanks to the forum members here for the tips & guidance!
Old 01-30-2016, 08:41 AM   #17
dan4081

Glad to see you worked through the (minor) issues you were having and seem to be enjoying the stereo now.
Even with the little niggles either unit is MILES better than the stock system, and look great in the dash.

I would recommend either unit to someone wanting modern connectivity, good sound, and GPS.
Old 03-01-2016, 12:19 PM   #18
Applejack

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffb325@NavigationSolutions View Post
AND......here is another thread like this..... Ive tried to let threads like this do the talking and stay out of it, but people keep getting burned by the various knock off units despite the ample warning available on these forum threads. Sorry that happened Cobalt60, but as you now know, its happened MANY times before, its just how they do business...in fact its their standard business plan, always has been.

FYI, we recently did some price restructuring with Dynavin to try to get the prices down a bit on the E46 units to try to give you guys a better alternative without breaking the bank.....yeah they are still more money, but they are not THAT much more money, and at least they work as advertised!
Dynavin, what makes Dynavin so great? They are Chinese......... and have left several thousand owners hanging without support, updates or repair plans on their Supposedly high quality Android units, which changed 3 times in 6 months and left previous owners with out of xae units each time... . I have a D99+ and cannot find a replacement update card for it. No repair service or parts are available i was told.
Applejack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2016, 12:23 PM   #19
cobalt60

I'll just add that I did end up finding a way to swap in a GA5150F.

While it does not have an iPhone input cable, it does have wireless tethering and Blutooth, so it does absolutely everything I'd expect from the unit (and much more I'll never use). I'm going to review the new unit soon, just need time.
Old 05-10-2017, 09:31 PM   #20
206m3

My Ride: 2004 M3
After your Eonon installation, do you guys retain the courtesy functionality of being able to listen to your radio without having the keys in the ignition to ACC position? I notice that my Eonon unit will shut off once the key is turned to the "OFF" position of the ignition and/or pulled out of the ignition. The factory unit does this also, but allows you to turn the radio back on if you push the power button on the factory unit. I like this functionality and was hoping someone can chime in on whether this functionality was retained with their Eonon unit. I wonder if this functionality is tied into the factory head-unit itself... Thoughts?
206m3 is offline   Reply With Quote