E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum

BAVSOUND Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by BAVSOUND

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-04-2016, 02:03 PM   #1
bunnychickthecat

My Ride: E46 325i
GM5 module question

Last edited by bunnychickthecat; 01-04-2016 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Duplicate
bunnychickthecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-04-2016, 04:07 PM   #2
bunnychickthecat

OEM Alarm issue

Hello,

I recently purchased a 2003 BMW 325i sedan. I ordered and installed the alarm components from eBay and coded the car myself with PA Soft and am familiar with how to as I did it with a previous 3 series.

I coded both audible and visual confirmation however the following is what happens.

Locking and unlocking the car causes the lights to flash as they should.
The clown nose light blinks slowly indicating that the alarm is armed.

What does NOT happen however is the following.
No beep when locking/unlocking
triggering the alarm does not cause lights to flash or siren to go off however the light on the clown nose DOES start blinking fast when I trigger it.

In order to test triggering, I have used the panic button on the remote and I have also waved my arms inside the car to activate the interior sensor.

Has anyone ever seen this before and if so, what can I look for? I have searched online for days but have not found anything.

I have checked all fuses under glove box. I was leaning towards a GM5 module issue but am starting to feel that this is not the issue however I could be wrong though I don't have any issues with my central locking.

Thanks peeps in advance for any guidance you can provide.
Old 01-04-2016, 05:09 PM   #3
BMW-North

My Ride: e83, e46x4, e90,A4b7
What are your settings for this page - can you post them? Also post any error codes that you have in EWS, IKE, ZKE.

To activate a OEM alarm:
-check DWA
-check DWA interior sensor
-uncheck DWA interior sensor, rear (unless you have a convertible which has a front and rear interior sensor)
-check DWA tilt alarm sensor
-check the options with "optics" and "acoustics"
*note you must have all 3 (4 for convertibles) pieces to the alarm otherwise your car will throw a code. e.g. you have the siren and motion sensor but no tilt; your DWA will show a fault and will not arm. Siren will still go off if doors are breached.

BMW-North E46 Electric Fan Guide

Bosch Fan Module: options using Volvo, Mazda & Ford

Making sense of INPA, EDIABAS, NCSExpert, NCS Dummies, DIS/GT1, EasyDIS, & Progman

Download a clean working copy of BMW Standard Tools that includes the special tests for E46 (3 Parts - RAR File format) Refer to the link above for the correct cable and install directions
BMW Standard tools Part 1
BMW Standard tools Part 2
BMW Standard tools Part 3

Last edited by BMW-North; 01-04-2016 at 05:31 PM.
BMW-North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 05:44 PM   #4
bunnychickthecat

I will take a screenshot tonight and post. It's odd though because on my 1999 323i, I coded the alarm while not having the actual components and opening a door after arming the alarm would at least cause the lights to flash. On my 323i I get nothing.

Thanks
Old 01-04-2016, 10:48 PM   #5
bunnychickthecat

Hi BMW-North,

Below are screenshots taken just now. One odd thing is that PA Soft identifies my car as a 330i when it's a 325.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	44
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	621415   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	36
Size:	35.7 KB
ID:	621416   Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Views:	37
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	621417   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.png
Views:	39
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	621418  

Click image for larger version

Name:	5.png
Views:	46
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	621419  
Old 01-05-2016, 01:10 AM   #6
BaliDawg
Modded ///Member

My Ride: 325Ci 330Ci 530i 750
PA Soft is wrong on the model. Plugging your VIN into a decoder shows it is indeed a 2002-10-16 325i with an M56B25.

Last edited by BaliDawg; 01-05-2016 at 01:15 AM.
BaliDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 01:14 AM   #7
bunnychickthecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaliDawg View Post
And it says you have the SULEV (M56B25) engine.
Well for sure it does look like that's the engine I have. It looks very different from the other 3 cars I had. Do you have any thoughts on the issue I'm having with the alarm?

Last edited by bunnychickthecat; 01-05-2016 at 01:15 AM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-05-2016, 10:45 AM   #8
BMW-North

Did you try to clear the errors. The Panic Mode error was likely initiated by you so it might indicates that it is partially working. Try clearing them

The post delivery alarm install errors and symptoms (outside of the Vehicle FA coding issue) is the same as this guy had a couple of years back.
http://www.e46fanatics.com/forum/sho...=972817&page=2

He found his problem as a bad connection (post #34)

I have a feeling though that yours might not be that simple. Check that connection though and also see if you can clear the errors and then re-create the panic mode error

Making sense of INPA, EDIABAS, NCSExpert, NCS Dummies, DIS/GT1, EasyDIS, & Progman

Download a clean working copy of BMW Standard Tools that includes the special tests for E46 (3 Parts - RAR File format) Refer to the link above for the correct cable and install directions
Old 01-05-2016, 10:52 AM   #9
bunnychickthecat

Hello,

I have cleared the errors and pretty much I have in fact been pressing the panic button to test. The guy from Ebay who sold me the parts is sending me another siren but even if there was a problem with the connection to the siren or the siren itself, it would not explain why the lights don't flash

Thanks for the link, I will check it now. Any thoughts on what connections I may check? I assume that if the lights flash when I lock/unlock the car, the connections for those are fine. Do you or does anyone else know what module specifically controls the alarm function? I am under the impression that all the components connect to the GM5 module unless I am mistaken.

Again, thank you for helping this girl out
Old 01-05-2016, 11:09 AM   #10
BMW-North

You are correct GM5 controls all the functions- attached is an overview of the systems and their interconnectivity
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 4 Central Body Electronics Internet.pdf (2.27 MB, 20 views)

Old 01-05-2016, 11:13 AM   #11
bunnychickthecat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-North View Post
You are correct GM5 controls all the functions- attached is an overview of the systems and their interconnectivity

Sorry for all the questions but would you have any idea why PA Soft is identifying my 325i as a 330i?
Old 01-05-2016, 11:23 AM   #12
BMW-North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnychickthecat View Post
Sorry for all the questions but would you have any idea why PA Soft is identifying my 325i as a 330i?
I think there is an error in your Vehicle FA data. Do you have access to NCS Expert or GT1?

Also I dug out the SIB for factory techs to install an alarm post delivery and they use GT1 to code the ZCS. I have not done this so I don't know if PA Soft is capable - it would appear from their screens that it is capable but I always fall back on NCS Expert when PA Soft doesn't deliver.

Edit. I'm not ditching you but I might not get back on here till much later tonight.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Alarm-Install.pdf (754.6 KB, 19 views)

Last edited by BMW-North; 01-05-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01-05-2016, 11:43 AM   #13
bunnychickthecat

All I have is PA Soft. If I could get my hands on NCS Expert or GT1, would I need a new cable or would could I use the same BMW scanner?
Old 01-05-2016, 03:20 PM   #14
BMW-North

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunnychickthecat View Post
All I have is PA Soft. If I could get my hands on NCS Expert or GT1, would I need a new cable or would could I use the same BMW scanner?
On break - No NCS Expert is part of the BMW Standard Tools EDIABAS comm - uses a different cable K+DCAN cable.

I don't think that PA Soft is the issue. I had a quick read on another forum where guys used BMW Scanner without issue to enable OE alarm systems in their e39's. Plus you said you've done this twice before so you know what you're doing as far as HW install.

I wonder if your issue is related to the wrong vehicle identification information. When I get back tonight I'll try to research this. If anyone has thoughts on this chime in.

Did you try unchecking all the boxes related to DWA - writing this (no alarm) - start car - turn car off then rewriting the correct values (leaving the convertible sensor unchecked)? - I'd try that if you haven't.

Was reading something on an M3 forum where the owner added the FA data for an OE alarm into the VO and coded it to all modules using NCS Expert. There is a chap on this forum who is a genius with this stuff ( Terraphantm ) You may need to ask him?

I can provide you a link to NCS Expert but you'll need to get your own cable.

Last edited by BMW-North; 01-05-2016 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-05-2016, 04:08 PM   #15
bunnychickthecat

Quote:
On break - No NCS Expert is part of the BMW Standard Tools EDIABAS comm - uses a different cable K+DCAN cable.

I don't think that PA Soft is the issue. I had a quick read on another forum where guys used BMW Scanner without issue to enable OE alarm systems in their e39's. Plus you said you've done this twice before so you know what you're doing as far as HW install.

I wonder if your issue is related to the wrong vehicle identification information. When I get back tonight I'll try to research this. If anyone has thoughts on this chime in.

Did you try unchecking all the boxes related to DWA - writing this (no alarm) - start car - turn car off then rewriting the correct values (leaving the convertible sensor unchecked)? - I'd try that if you haven't.

Was reading something on an M3 forum where the owner added the FA data for an OE alarm into the VO and coded it to all modules using NCS Expert. There is a chap on this forum who is a genius with this stuff ( Terraphantm ) You may need to ask him?

First of all, THANK YOU THANK YOU!!!
You are so awesome for taking the time to help me and I really appreciate it.

I will try recoding the car as you suggested. I need to take out the siren anyways because the bracket the Ebay guy sent me is wrong and while I was able to get to bent to a shape that works, it is causing a vibration on the firewall that is driving me nuts LOL. I'll go ahead and disconnect all the sensors to be safe and recode. At the very least I should get the lights flashing when I trigger the alarm right?

By the way, I would be more than willing to get the right cable for NCS if you sent me the link. It count hurt, right? I'll try the coding tonight and get back to you.
Old 01-06-2016, 04:25 PM   #16
bunnychickthecat

Did not have a chance to check last night because my son is not feeling well but I should be able to pull the components tonight and try re coding the alarm.
Old 01-07-2016, 12:35 AM   #17
bunnychickthecat

OK I have a positive update to report

I removed the siren and recoded the car without it in. I triggered the alarm hoping to at least get lights flashing which I did not unfortunately. I decided to put everything back together and call it an evening and to my surprise, the siren is beeping now. Also, when I trigger the alarm, the siren goes off YAY!!!

Still I am not getting flashing lights but this is good so far. One thing I did notice was that after locking and unlocking several times (mainly to enjoy my new beep) I noticed that after a couple of times, the locks and or the siren started failing. What I mean is, at times the locks would open/close and at times they would not. Also, occasionally the siren would only beep on unlocking but not on locking.

I recall seeing an error a few days ago about battery voltage. Is there a chance that the battery voltage could be affecting the alarm? I have not had any issues starting the car at all so I would assume the battery to be good but could it still start the car with less voltage? Could there be enough amperage to turn the engine over but not enough to properly feed the correct voltage for the alarm?

Last edited by bunnychickthecat; 01-07-2016 at 12:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old 02-26-2016, 01:53 AM   #18
E46Child

My Ride: 03 E46 325i Facelift
Quote:

Good thing i just created an account and also just installed the alarm, on a ironically, 2003 bmw 325i, pa soft reports my car as a 330i as well, though i kind of need help too, although i posted a thread already, i am wondering why everything functions correctly, lights flash, sirens sound, HOWEVER, when i use the panic button..... it's audible but no flashing i checked optical/accoustic too and warninglights/lowbeam/highbeam, checked like 5 times to make sure, maybe i should try to deactivate everything and turn it all off, because the first time i activated it, i accidentally checked the interior rear sensor which i didn't realize it was for the convertible, so i unchecked it and rewrote the code again, however flashing lights for panic still doesn't work.
Ill do it tomorrow after i get off a school, (high school )
forgot to mention, the clown nose also appears to blink really quick, like once every second, when arming it blinks super rapidly for a few seconds then goes to the blink once every second or so thing

Last edited by E46Child; 02-26-2016 at 02:08 AM.
E46Child is offline   Reply With Quote