E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2016, 12:29 PM   #1
vakulchyk

My Ride: E46 330xd
Amp to replace factory HK amp in the same place

Hi, I'm thinking on updating current HK setup in my touring. I don't have money for hi end, but need something much nicer than HK - I was totally disappointed with its sound quality.
The other requyerment is not to lose factory look until it's completely necessary for my needs.
As for now I decided that I will change had unit with modern 2din (not avin) and invisibly feat new speakers in current HK place. There are plenty of articles that describes which speakers I can use for that purpose. However searching for posts that describes which amp will feat in HK standard place - haven't found any.

Is there any collective knowledge about that?
vakulchyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:59 PM   #2
psyki

My Ride: 02 330xi || 01 X5
Here's what I did in my E36 with the HK system, it should still be relevant here. First I upgraded the kick panel speakers and the rear deck speakers, leaving the mid and high range speakers in each front door. Then I upgraded my HU to one with three pre-amp outputs: sub, front, back. The sub out went to my sub amp and the front/back outs went to a 4 channel amp which drove my new front and back speakers. The remaining door speakers I left wired to the stock HK amp and did my best to tune the output of my amps to match their volume.

May not be the most elegant solution but I didn't feel like running more than a single pair of speakers on a single output of my amps. Make sense?
psyki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2016, 08:13 PM   #3
vakulchyk

I want to remove HK amp and use that space Not sure, if it make sense to left this amp for two speakers. Where did you install 2 additional amps?
Old 01-19-2016, 12:57 AM   #4
yamman93

My Ride: 2006 330ci
What you need it a 5 Chanel amp and you also need a crossover if you replace the stock amp as the stock amp had the crossover network built in. You also need an amp that accepts balanced inputs unless you do end up replacing the headunit. I say leave the stock headunit in for now and go with a new amp and hook that up to a crossover and hook the crossover up to the factory speakers. If you want to make it even easier, you can use a technic e46 wiring harness and use a 5 Chanel amp of your choice and then purchase a German audio specialties crossover made specifically for the e46. I am in the process of doing this except I have bavsound stage one speakers installed at the moment. I should have everything all wired up and running in about 2 months.
yamman93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 12:59 AM   #5
yamman93

Here is a link to the crossover and technic has a website that isn't complete but there is a field to send a comment. Submit a comment asking about the e46 amp harness and you should get a response in a day or two. http://www.germanaudiospecialties.co...r_Network.html
Old 01-19-2016, 05:22 AM   #6
psyki

Quote:
Originally Posted by vakulchyk View Post
I want to remove HK amp and use that space Not sure, if it make sense to left this amp for two speakers. Where did you install 2 additional amps?
I mounted them to the top of the trunk compartment. Again, not the most elegant solution but they were mostly invisible and the wiring went straight into the carpeting looking each side so no wires were directly exposed, except one pair which went to my sub. My E36 was my "fun" car, I have an X5 for utility so I rarely used the trunk

In my new E46 I'm looking to do something more like you and hide the amps completely behind the carpeting on the side if possible.
Old 01-19-2016, 12:12 PM   #7
vakulchyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamman93 View Post
What you need it a 5 Chanel amp and you also need a crossover if you replace the stock amp as the stock amp had the crossover network built in. You also need an amp that accepts balanced inputs unless you do end up replacing the headunit. I say leave the stock headunit in for now and go with a new amp and hook that up to a crossover and hook the crossover up to the factory speakers. If you want to make it even easier, you can use a technic e46 wiring harness and use a 5 Chanel amp of your choice and then purchase a German audio specialties crossover made specifically for the e46. I am in the process of doing this except I have bavsound stage one speakers installed at the moment. I should have everything all wired up and running in about 2 months.
Any idea or recommendations on 5 channel amp that will fit in factory space?
BTW I always thought that speakers are most weak place in HK system, especially taking into account materials which they made of and age of our cars. I mean isn't it smart to replace speakers as first step? HK woofers in trunk of my car are just make "acoustic shorting" on some frequencies, but not the sound
Old 01-19-2016, 01:19 PM   #8
yamman93

Quote:

BTW I always thought that speakers are most weak place in HK system, especially taking into account materials which they made of and age of our cars. I mean isn't it smart to replace speakers as first step? HK woofers in trunk of my car are just make "acoustic shorting" on some frequencies, but not the sound

That is an excellent question but first tell me how much you are willing to spend on an amp. I too believed that the HK speakers were a major weak point which is why I purchased the bavsound stage one kit. This kit replaced every speaker except the subs and while there was an improvement, it was not a drastic improvement. I believe the BavSound speakers need a better amp to really make them come alive.
Old 01-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #9
psyki

Quote:
The first E36 I had came with an HK system and I upgraded my HU to one with a 7 band equalizer and built in front and rear crossover. I found I was able to get a LOT more sound out of the speakers just by adjusting the crossovers. I think they are quite good for what they are, in fact when I did finally upgrade the rear woofers they were only marginally better, then again I hadn't yet hooked up an external amp yet so I'm not sure how the HK would have responded to that.

Personally I would upgrade in this order: head unit, speakers, external amp(s). Unless your speakers are blown I suppose.

Last edited by psyki; 01-19-2016 at 02:40 PM.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:26 PM   #10
vakulchyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyki View Post
The first E36 I had came with an HK system and I upgraded my HU to one with a 7 band equalizer and built in front and rear crossover. I found I was able to get a LOT more sound out of the speakers just by adjusting the crossovers. I think they are quite good for what they are, in fact when I did finally upgrade the rear woofers they were only marginally better, then again I hadn't yet hooked up an external amp yet so I'm not sure how the HK would have responded to that.

Personally I would upgrade in this order: head unit, speakers, external amp(s). Unless your speakers are blown I suppose.
For amp I thought up to 400$. As of your reply there are many candidates in terms of size? Do you think I can expect significant improvement, after I'll update with this price range amp and speakers?
Old 01-19-2016, 10:34 PM   #11
vakulchyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamman93 View Post
That is an excellent question but first tell me how much you are willing to spend on an amp. I too believed that the HK speakers were a major weak point which is why I purchased the bavsound stage one kit. This kit replaced every speaker except the subs and while there was an improvement, it was not a drastic improvement. I believe the BavSound speakers need a better amp to really make them come alive.
I mistaken with thread, and ungodly d like ask you
For amp I thought up to 400$. As of your reply there are many candidates in terms of size? Do you think I can expect significant improvement, after I'll update with this price range amp and speakers?
Old 01-19-2016, 10:48 PM   #12
vakulchyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by psyki View Post

This speakers are 10+ years old for now. For sure, this part of audio system is most effected with years. Especially in my case, I can clearly here resonating frequencies in sound that sub reproduce, which hardly can be amp fault. Maybe some other (ex)owners where more gentle with the volume or something, and speakers in the better shape though.
Old 01-19-2016, 11:49 PM   #13
psyki

Quote:
This speakers are 10+ years old for now. For sure, this part of audio system is most effected with years. Especially in my case, I can clearly here resonating frequencies in sound that sub reproduce, which hardly can be amp fault. Maybe some other (ex)owners where more gentle with the volume or something, and speakers in the better shape though.
True they are old but I was very surprised at how much more sound I got out of the stock HK speakers by only upgrading the head unit. I stress though, that the advantage came from being able to adjust the crossover frequencies. A simple "bass/treble" adjustment is not enough. And this was on my 96 328i!

As for amp recommendations I'm afraid I can't help you much there. Just pay attention to the amps and the ohms and match them to any speakers you upgrade to.
Old 01-22-2016, 08:38 AM   #14
tks

My Ride: slower than yours
ppi 900.4
tks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 10:01 AM   #15
vakulchyk

Hm. I sought about 5 channel, as long as I need to amplify sub.

Tags
amp, hk, sound