E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > General Off-Topic

General Off-Topic
Everything not about BMWs. Posts must be "primetime" safe and in good taste. You must be logged in to see sub-forums.
Click here to browse all new posts.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #1
badfast

My Ride: A Car
Busy weekend at Mazda Raceway

So next weekend (Jul 31-Aug2) I will be participating in 2 separate race series at Mazda Laguna Seca. One will be in a 323 that runs in GTS1. The car is slow but the turnout for that class can be quite good (I think 10 cars currently).

This is how the car currently sits. It was recently at the dyno and consistently pushes an astonishing 174whp.

The second series I will be racing in is the US Touring Car Championship which will be the same weekend at Mazda. For that series I race an e46 M3.

I am quite excited to be racing 2 e46s at Mazda Raceway at what will be a rather big event. I am confident I will do well in both races. This will be my first national championship race with NASA as I missed last years at Road Atlanta because of a broken transmission.

The weekend after this I will also be at Miller Motorsports Park in Utah to race on a friend's team driving an AWD Audi in a 6 hour endurance race.

Wish me luck

Last edited by badfast; 07-24-2015 at 01:46 PM.
badfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:00 PM   #2
NFRs2000nyc

My Ride: 2003 FormulaRedS2000
Good luck!
Old 07-24-2015, 01:00 PM   #3
5ynd1cat3

My Ride: swagger wagon
Good luck Justin! Post pics if you can. Maybe a go pro video? Also not sure if it's just the app or what but your pics aren't showing up.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:02 PM   #4
bimmerfan08

My Ride: E46 M3
Good luck. You sponsored at all?

"My philosophy as a businessman has always been to take care of the people who make me successful. It has always been "we" in my business conversations with others. At a certain point in a successful business it behooves one to make sure those doing a good job of supporting you are not struggling to make ends meet."
bimmerfan08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:07 PM   #5
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRs2000nyc View Post
Good luck!
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ynd1cat3 View Post
Good luck Justin! Post pics if you can. Maybe a go pro video? Also not sure if it's just the app or what but your pics aren't showing up.
Thanks! I will certainly get GoPro from both races. The USTCC should have live streaming. We had it at Miller last month, it was cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfan08 View Post
Good luck. You sponsored at all?
I, personally, am not sponsored (as of yet). The car/shop (M3) has sponsors: Sparta Evolution (Brakes), Hawk, and Competition Clutch. And then all contingencies that take place throughout the weekend. The stickers on the GTS1 car are all contingency so I win free stuff depending on place/participation.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:10 PM   #6
M3Inline6
Ain't buying any more cars!

My Ride: Not a Porsche GT3!
Two riders died last weekend at Mazda Raceway. Sad news!

Good luck badfast. Post videos!

Last edited by M3Inline6; 07-24-2015 at 01:11 PM.
M3Inline6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 01:36 PM   #7
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Inline6 View Post
Two riders died last weekend at Mazda Raceway. Sad news!

Good luck badfast. Post videos!
I read about that.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:17 PM   #8
Saintluk2

My Ride: 2000 323i sedan
Badfast, use a Gopro for us.
Saintluk2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 08:37 PM   #9
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Sweet!!

I bet both of those are a blast to drive!

Good luck!

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 09:15 PM   #10
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Sweet!!

I bet both of those are a blast to drive!

Good luck!
They are! Here a few videos until next week. This video is a lap around Mazda in the M3. My first time testing the car out.

Race start at Miller last month:

And the GTS1 (when it was a PTE) car. This is my first win in it (the Mustang was a higher classed car). In the wet, not a terribly exciting video.

A good race from its last days as a PTE car at Mid-Ohio. Crazy weekend. It rained, hailed, and snowed all with a small period of time. I think this race the temps were in the 30s! The first lap is fun. Its get better around the 12:20 mark when there is a long battle between me and 2nd place (Integra GSR).

Last edited by badfast; 07-24-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:03 PM   #11
MP0WER

My Ride: is fun to drive
Quote:
Originally Posted by badfast View Post
They are! Here a few videos until next week. This video is a lap around Mazda in the M3. My first time testing the car out.

Race start at Miller last month:

And the GTS1 (when it was a PTE) car. This is my first win in it (the Mustang was a higher classed car). In the wet, not a terribly exciting video.

A good race from its last days as a PTE car at Mid-Ohio. Crazy weekend. It rained, hailed, and snowed all with a small period of time. I think this race the temps were in the 30s! The first lap is fun. Its get better around the 12:20 mark when there is a long battle between me and 2nd place (Integra GSR).
Bad ass! Major jelly here! I've always felt like my place in life was behind the wheel of a race car. Never had the balls to follow the passion though.

Crazy that the dude who stalled on the start at miller came back for a win. Not many cars in his class? Or is he and his car both studs?

Nice move on the Integra buzz saw!

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat

Last edited by MP0WER; 07-24-2015 at 10:04 PM.
MP0WER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 10:09 PM   #12
bimmerfan08

I've always been curious as a few of my buddies race in NASA like I noted before, but they're single without any commitments and you're married. What does the wife think/say about racing?

"My philosophy as a businessman has always been to take care of the people who make me successful. It has always been "we" in my business conversations with others. At a certain point in a successful business it behooves one to make sure those doing a good job of supporting you are not struggling to make ends meet."
Old 07-24-2015, 10:15 PM   #13
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP0WER View Post
Bad ass! Major jelly here! I've always felt like my place in life was behind the wheel of a race car. Never had the balls to follow the passion though.
It is a blast. You just got to get out there and do it. Start slow on track days and build your way up. I encourage anyone who wants to track/race a car to give it a try and don't self select out.

Quote:
Crazy that the dude who stalled on the start at miller came back for a win. Not many cars in his class? Or is he and his car both studs?

Nice move on the Integra buzz saw!
The field was small at Miller (for both classes). But he is on top of his game, his car is on point, and he has a good team behind him.

Thanks! That integra has a fast driver. We had many good battles. 2 at PittRace, both in the wet.

Last edited by badfast; 07-24-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-24-2015, 10:18 PM   #14
badfast

Quote:
I've always been curious as a few of my buddies race in NASA like I noted before, but they're single without any commitments and you're married. What does the wife think/say about racing?
She is 100% behind me. She wants to see how far I will go. In fact I am not sure I would be racing if not for her. I would have still been doing track days. She wanted me to start racing and encouraged me to get licensed which I did at Mid-Ohio. Having the family support is amazing. My daughter loves the cars also--another year and she can start karting
Old 07-25-2015, 01:45 AM   #15
david05111

My Ride: drei hundert dreißig
So cool, and so much respect for you having seen this. I had no idea you did this stuff...very cool, sir.

But I do have a question. How in the hell is a 323 making 174 whp haha???

"You'll Never Walk Alone"

"Psycho Murican" -- beeemerdude of Canada
david05111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 03:18 AM   #16
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Great word man.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 07:26 AM   #17
bimmerfan08

Quote:
She is 100% behind me. She wants to see how far I will go. In fact I am not sure I would be racing if not for her. I would have still been doing track days. She wanted me to start racing and encouraged me to get licensed which I did at Mid-Ohio. Having the family support is amazing. My daughter loves the cars also--another year and she can start karting
Sounds awesome. Crossing my fingers I marry a woman that supports my motorsport enthusiasm and desires.

Old 07-25-2015, 07:29 AM   #18
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post
So cool, and so much respect for you having seen this. I had no idea you did this stuff...very cool, sir.

If I had to guess: headers, tune, pulleys, and maybe more aggressive cams if they exist.

Old 07-25-2015, 10:31 AM   #19
badfast

Quote:
Originally Posted by david05111 View Post

Thanks!

Not sure how it got to 174. It never dynoed over 169 on the east coast. I get to the west coast, have not changed anything, and it dyno 178 here. I put stock software back in and only down to 174. Which means I have to put weight in the car.

Quote:
If I had to guess: headers, tune, pulleys, and maybe more aggressive cams if they exist.
Intake, header (ebay), pulleys (obx), fidanza flywheel. I had shark software in but restored it back to stock.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:43 AM   #20
bimmerfan08

Quote:
Thanks!

Not sure how it got to 174. It never dynoed over 169 on the east coast. I get to the west coast, have not changed anything, and it dyno 178 here. I put stock software back in and only down to 174. Which means I have to put weight in the car.
Where on the east coast did you live? Perhaps the altitude is lower or there's better air quality where you live now. Who knows.