E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-22-2006, 09:05 PM   #21
tuckersmg

My Ride: 2005 m3
Has anyone tried to install the Powerflex shims that are suppose to keep the RTAB from flexing.
Tucker
tuckersmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 09:24 AM   #22
vert

My Ride: MINI Cooper Hatch
Send a message via AIM to vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by croat View Post
Well I tried to change my RTABs today but failed miserably. I had my trailing arm down but I simply had no room to try to drill/jigsaw it out and than use C Clamp or Vise to press it in. I put everything back together and will have shop do it tomorrow before I have my alignment done.

Maybe I would give it better try but I've already worked my ass off on Saturday swapping steering rack, putting new CABs in and adjusting e-brake. I just don't want to get dirty anymore
Yep, that's why i purchased the tool - easy diy and still cheaper than getting it done at the shop. You diy'd everything else, so i would have probably done the same thing - just let the shop worry about it at this point.
vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 02:08 PM   #23
Hrvat

My Ride: 02 Imola Red M3
I took my car to get alignment and had tech take a look at RTABs. He said they looked OK. He was also prying on RTAB and it would go back to original position. He said if it goes back to original position, it should be good. Not sure how true this is.

PM ME FOR FREE SAMPLES

Quote:
Originally Posted by roronoah View Post
so 2004 bmw's dont come with a diff?
Hrvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 02:18 PM   #24
325myAZ

My Ride: 2001 325i
I just completed the RTAB job last weekend.

I ended up renting the tool from Vert. So I got a great deal on the rental, super fast shipping, plus he was able to clear up some questions and concerns that I had about the job.

There really is something to be said about having the right tool for the job. Easy out, easy in.

Thanks Vert!
325myAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2007, 04:04 PM   #25
vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325myAZ View Post
I just completed the RTAB job last weekend.

I ended up renting the tool from Vert. So I got a great deal on the rental, super fast shipping, plus he was able to clear up some questions and concerns that I had about the job.

There really is something to be said about having the right tool for the job. Easy out, easy in.

Thanks Vert!
Thanks for your kind words. I am glad I could help!
Old 09-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #26
peanut_man

My Ride: 2008 335i Sport Pkg
Hey, Vert, still got that tool for rent / sale? I need to do my RTAB soon. PM'd ya! Thanks!
peanut_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2007, 06:10 PM   #27
vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanut_man View Post
Hey, Vert, still got that tool for rent / sale? I need to do my RTAB soon. PM'd ya! Thanks!
Yes, I have it and I replied to your PM. Please email me at arthur91 at hotmail.com.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:38 AM   #28
peanut_man

Any one knows if the RTAB can be replaced w/ the rear wheels still on? My rears are frozen on. I will ask the alignment shop to take the wheels out for me when I get my alignment done, but I want to put the RTABs on first. Will it be doable? or it'll just be too much weight on the suspension?

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2007, 08:55 AM   #29
vert

Quote:
Any one knows if the RTAB can be replaced w/ the rear wheels still on? My rears are frozen on. I will ask the alignment shop to take the wheels out for me when I get my alignment done, but I want to put the RTABs on first. Will it be doable? or it'll just be too much weight on the suspension?

Thanks!
I emailed you back ... I don't see how it can be done easily with the wheel still on 1) not enough room for the two wrenches you need to take the RTAB out and 2) might not be able to do the alignment procedure correctly and 3) Bentley manual says to take the wheel off first.

Did you try to use a long breaker bar on the lug nutz? Remember what Archimedes said: "Give me a place to stand and I can move the world," referring to the multiplying power of a lever, and of a well-placed leverage point.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:56 AM   #30
peanut_man

Lug nuts are off easy, that's no issue. The issue is the rear wheels are stuck frozen to the hub.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:09 AM   #31
vert

Quote:
Lug nuts are off easy, that's no issue. The issue is the rear wheels are stuck frozen to the hub.
I see, I misunderstood your question. You should try some of the suggestions in this thread to get the wheel off: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=233043

One of these will definitely work.
Old 10-01-2007, 01:24 PM   #32
peanut_man

Thanks vert. Altho some suggestions are scary. Loosen lugnuts 1/2 way and lower the car and move it abit to pop the wheels off. Ouch, sounds like it'll damage something? Will try other less scary options first before resorting to this.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:42 AM   #33
peanut_man

Ended up using a big-a$$ hammer and a block of wood and hit the wheel out from under the car. I cleaned the hub and make sure anti-seize is applied for next time removal.

RTABs are replaced! Took about 3 hr because I'm a noob at doing this. Also made a really stupid move by putting the "console" in backward! LOL. Caught it when trying to put it back and the backet was way off. Noobie DIY mistake. Proper tools really help taking the bushing out easy. Thanks Vert, will ship back the tool on Monday.

Now I just need new front tires and alignment and I should be set... for mods!
Old 10-07-2007, 07:35 PM   #34
vert

Great stuff! I am glad you found the tool useful. I bet if you had to do it again it would take you about an hour...
Old 10-16-2007, 10:33 PM   #35
peanut_man

Yup, the tool was a definite *MUST*. I can't imagine drilling the thing out and hack it apart w/ some saw. That would take a long time and probably a good chance of scratching up body work / paint.

One thing to note is that having racheting wrench helps a lot as the nut on the tool has a long bolt goes thru. Something like

or those specialty socket wrenchs that has thru-hole opening. Thanks again Vert!
Old 11-12-2007, 09:35 AM   #36
ddombrowski

My Ride: 01 330ci 5spd
Send a message via AIM to ddombrowski
I also used the tool about 2 weeks ago to replace my RTABs, and I'll add a couple of notes.

As Peanutman said, with how far the rear control arm comes down when replacing just the RTAB, I'd say theres a good chance you'd botch up the sideskirts trying to hack the thing out. I barely had enough room for the tool as it is. If you removed the shock, the arm could probably dangle lower, but then you'd be yanking the brake lines.

If I couldn't rent the tool, I would still buy it to do this job. The job, with the tool, is definitely easy and worth it over paying someone to do the install.

That said, when I pulled mine at 68k miles, one bushing had a crack in it with very little movement and the other was fine. If I had known this, I probably wouldn't have bothered replacing them yet.
ddombrowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 10:18 PM   #37
sulli

My Ride: 2000 328i
ddombrowski, peanut_man, vert,

Presumably there were some symptoms that you were hoping that the new RTABs would help correct ... like the feeling the rear end was wandering some? Did you notice any difference with the new RTABs?
sulli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 07:46 AM   #38
vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulli View Post
ddombrowski, peanut_man, vert,

Presumably there were some symptoms that you were hoping that the new RTABs would help correct ... like the feeling the rear end was wandering some? Did you notice any difference with the new RTABs?
From what I have read, symptoms of bad trailing arm bushings include side movement of the rear end under acceleration, general looseness of the rear over bumps, and abnormal tire wear. These bushings will start wearing out after about 50K miles, give or take.

I pulled mine at around 50K hoping to fix some bump steer from the rear of the car. When I examined the old bushings, they looked pretty good but they started to show some signs of wear such as small cracks in the rubber. Putting the new ones in did make the car feel more stable. For me though the car started handling 100% only after I installed the coilovers last month (my original shocks were bad and my springs were all rusted...)

RTAB's are cheap and easy to install if you are using the right tools so for me at least it was the a logical first step in refreshing the suspension along with the failed LCA's and LCAB's. I used an M3 upgrade bushing from autohausaz.com which supposedly should last longer. Also, I did it to save on alignment costs since I would hate to change some other suspension part, do an alignment only to find out that the problem is still there and have to replace the RTAB's and have to pay for another alignment again.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:53 AM   #39
element

My Ride: 02 330CI 3 Pedals
Vert could you please post the brand and type of RTAB puller you used?
element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 09:10 AM   #40
vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by element View Post
Vert could you please post the brand and type of RTAB puller you used?
I believe it is Victory Design Tools. Type is just the RTAB puller for e46 and e36.