E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!

Polls & Surveys - Please Participate!
This forum contains "official" polls and surveys

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2006, 11:19 AM   #41
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by otherside View Post
I keep on hearing about these teins, whats the scoop with them... do they feel as good and compfy as they say they do?

I have PSS9 setup and Im really not thrilled with how hard it can be in the softest settings with an extreme drop, I dont track I just want a setup and can go low as hell and compfy, I think if I were to raise this set of coils they would feel amazing, but the springs are preety compressed at the setting I have them and its just not really helping on their dampening ability....if the coils had more lowering depth then the springs wouldnt be so damn compressed and would prolly dampen a lot better.

I might wanna try these TEIN SS with the edfc setup too if they drop real hard, unless the TEIN Basics are set at the compfy setting thenI will never change the dampening on the car just be at a good balanced preset point.

KWV2s feel a little floppy to me but they drop hard

GC feel great been on 2 cars with them and not disapointed at all

PSS9 NOT dropped hard feels great

Koni shock and H&R spring combo feels good as well

Although the Tein SS drop pretty hard, I don't think they're nearly as street friendly as the PSS9's. They have a really really harsh ride IMO.

-Ken
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 12:34 PM   #42
///OSS

My Ride: "The.. 325CI"
Send a message via AIM to ///OSS Send a message via MSN to ///OSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpeng View Post
Although the Tein SS drop pretty hard, I don't think they're nearly as street friendly as the PSS9's. They have a really really harsh ride IMO.

-Ken

harsher than your cupkit?
///OSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:45 PM   #43
kpeng
Banned User

I think so, yeah.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:39 PM   #44
WilliamLD

My Ride: 01' Bmw 330ci
Arent the Tein SS adjustable, with damping that is? If thats the case wouldnt you be able to dial in to have them a little softer than that of a cup kit? The reason I ask is because Ive heard pretty much that the cup kits are stiff as hell..Also if anyone else has experience with these coils input is more than welcome...How many height settings do these have? I think Id have to look more into these because if they do drop lower than the pss or pss9 then I think the choice would be tein. Id have to agree with otherside. 16 ways to adjust and just as much or more adjustment than the bilsteins.......I think id be sold, but maybe some more with teins will chime in and let us know.
WilliamLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 05:56 PM   #45
WilliamLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by elite53 View Post
Just an update if your interested...I put the stock front sway bar back on tonight and left the Turner rear bar on set to full stiff and it made the car much more neutral in the corners that it was understeering in before.There is just the slightest bit of understeer for just a little bit and then the car goes into a four wheel drift if you push past the understeer.Its nice cause it acts as a bit of a warning signal that you are reaching the absolute limit of what the tires can handle.The only drawback is that it doesn't stay quite as flat through the turns as it did before but hey I'll gladly give up a little of that for better overall performance.I only wish I had known this before I shelled out the money for both bars.I could have just bought the rear and spent the rest of the money on something else.
I appreciate the input that you have given. Thats a good that you figured out what do with your suspension, it just sucks that you had to pay a little extra for the sway bar.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:03 PM   #46
WilliamLD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByTor330ci View Post
I'm installing Tein SS coilovers with EDFC as we speak.
I've heard really good things about this setup. May be a little overkill as I'm not tracking the car - but I like the idea of having dampening adjustability from within cabin and understand the range is quite dramatic from softest to firmest settings.
Here's a link on EDFC: http://www.tein.com/edfc.html
*Oh, and I bought my Tein setup from Mike at Modbargains.com. He was really helpfull and knows his sh*t.
Id like to see how this works out for you, if you can let us know how the setup works for you. Are you installing this urself or are you taking it somewhere to get done? And if you dont mind what kind of price would I be looking at for this installation? If I were to get this setup, I would def like to have the EDFC no doubt about it
Old 09-10-2006, 06:04 PM   #47
kyle e46

My Ride: 325xi
anyone know a good suspension set up for a xi? i was thinking H&R sport springs with koni yellows?
Old 09-10-2006, 10:09 PM   #48
Chris@AutoWerks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 1995 Avus Blue M3
I'd rethink Tein because of this:

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...hlight=Tein+SS
Chris@AutoWerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 10:10 PM   #49
kpeng
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris@AutoWerks View Post
wow...they're crappier than I thought.

-Ken
Old 09-11-2006, 02:55 AM   #50
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky

My Ride: has a torn subframe
Send a message via AIM to Tyler@UniqueDesign
Quote:
I've been keeping an eye on that tab just because of that thread (the first time he posted it). Its kinda sketch, but post 41 says it all.

Tein is going to fix the issue and hopefully anyone who suffers from failures will have them replaced (good news for me).

I've got the basics and love them, the only complaint is that ride sucks near the top fo the adjustment because the front wheels don't have a lot of down travel and the front end would actually get mini air over bumps becauase of that. slammed my car still rode really nice (aside from massive camber).
Tyler@UniqueDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:31 AM   #51
Nicholas_avis

My Ride: 2000 E46 330ci
I'm sure theres a good reason for the majority of people changing the rear shock mounts but could someone please explain it?

Cheers
Nicholas_avis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:24 AM   #52
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Quote:
I've had TEIN SS for about a year and a half with NO issues or problems. As with anything it's a case by case thing. And I drive pretty hard.

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 06:27 AM   #53
phrozen06
NA V8

My Ride: E46, E92 M3, R32 VW
Send a message via Yahoo to phrozen06
Quote:
Originally Posted by otherside View Post
I keep on hearing about these teins, whats the scoop with them... do they feel as good and compfy as they say they do?

I might wanna try these TEIN SS with the edfc setup too if they drop real hard, unless the TEIN Basics are set at the compfy setting thenI will never change the dampening on the car just be at a good balanced preset point.
TEIN's are confortable. I have them set at 8 for a combo of street/track. 16 is hardest and 1 is the softest. I'm set pretty aggressive.

S65: 4.0 Liter, V8, 414 hp @8,300 rpm, 295 lb/ft @3900 rpm, 445 lb, DOHC, 12:1 C/R, crankshaft 44 lb, wet sump.
2 oil pumps,double vanos variable valve timing, EMS: MSS60, 8 electronically controlled individual throttle butterflies.
4 valves per cylinder, cracked trapezoidal connecting rods, brake energy regeneration. Ion-flow combustion monitoring.

phrozen06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 02:26 PM   #54
Activ3

My Ride: gets DRIVEN.
Send a message via AIM to Activ3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas_avis View Post
I'm sure theres a good reason for the majority of people changing the rear shock mounts but could someone please explain it?

Cheers
Aftermarket shocks are too stiff for the stock RSMs, and they push the rubber bushing right out of the housing, which is known as blowing the RSM.

Activ3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:10 PM   #55
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky

My Ride: has a torn subframe
Send a message via AIM to Tyler@UniqueDesign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Activ3 View Post
Aftermarket shocks are too stiff for the stock RSMs, and they push the rubber bushing right out of the housing, which is known as blowing the RSM.
If the shocks are put back in correctly this shouldn't happen. The Rogue RSM's for example use the stock design for the bushing/washer setup and work fine.

I have rogues because they have welded hardware so I can remove the shocks from the bottom, and they have built in Z3 reinforment plates which helps prevent shock tower damage.
Tyler@UniqueDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 04:24 PM   #56
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler@UniqueDesign View Post
If the shocks are put back in correctly this shouldn't happen. The Rogue RSM's for example use the stock design for the bushing/washer setup and work fine.

I have rogues because they have welded hardware so I can remove the shocks from the bottom, and they have built in Z3 reinforment plates which helps prevent shock tower damage.
Actually the Rogue and many of the other aftermarket RSM have a big difference in the design. What they have is a center cupped plate. This is where they put the two bushing on top and below it. Even the TMS/BMPD "Shuttle Bushing" have this. This is what keeps the bushing from separating. The OEM is a bonded rubber to the sleeve that pushes out the top or is pulled to the side and breaks. The other thing is that the lowered cars have the tendency to bottom out and smack the bonded bushing out of the OEM design. I've had several styles over the years on my BMWs. TMS Shuttle RSM, BMPD ones, Gound Control and OEM and E46 M3 cabrio and reinforcement plates. The reinforcement plates are either for heavy track use cars or E30/E36 convertibles or like the Z3 where the metal is thin due to the different open on top for access(coupe/sedan access through the trunk). In my opinion, the street E46 doesn't really need the plates because our metal is nowhere as thin as the E30 cabrio ones(although I do have them installed on my car).
As for heavy duty RSM, get one that is lifetime warranty, as if you have a firm suspension, you'll be replacing OEM more often than most. After replacing twice you'll wish you had bought the heavy duty ones. At the very least, you need to get the M3 cabrio ones or the newer Meyle OEM ones.
Old 09-13-2006, 04:18 AM   #57
WilliamLD

Has it been determined whether or not Tein will replace any of there coils in case of a situation stated earlier? also when using one of the coil over kits would I have to get the adjustable control arms or what about the camber plates from UUC for the negative camber??? If i were to get the plates would I still have to get the RSM as well?
Old 09-13-2006, 12:12 PM   #58
12CMiM3

My Ride: 2003 CB M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamLD View Post
Im in the process of buying a suspension kit for my car and like to hear some of what people have on their rides..I did a little searchin about some products and I think what I am going to try and do is have the bilstein pss and have TMS swaybars. Id like to get the UUC sways but ive heard they make alot of noise?? If there was a way to fix that Id like to get those. I highly doubt ill be doing any track days so thats why I wont be getting the pss9's but my car is pretty much my daily driver other than my bike, so id like to hear if this setup would be to stiff or harsh for everyday driving. I understand that it wont be like Oem and I do expect it to be a bit rough but i dont want something that is going to make my teeth chatter all the time i hit a bump. Let me know what u guys think, Thanks
i have the pss9s and rogue RSMs and turner adjustable camber plates up front. i heard about this klunking you're talking about but i went with the setup anyway. i have it dropped pretty low and at 6r and 4f (9 being the softest). i didn't notice much of a difference in ride comfort, which i loved. but a BIG difference in handling. i don't know why i didn't do this mod earlier. however, i DID notice a klunk in the front. kinda sounds like the suspension is loose. didn't hear it much on the highway, but when i'm over a bump crooked (one tire before the other in front) i notice this sound. the setup is fine, setup is fine, but i think because of the camber plates there's this metal-to-metal contact that makes the sound. not that annoying to me, esp with the radio on (mines a daily also), but my GF noticed it (and she's not even into cars at all). AND i'm not sure if this sound would be around if i didn't have the turner camber plates.
ON THE OTHER HAND, my friend has the KW v2 coilovers on his car. they are beautiful. feels just like stock in comfort and SOUND...no klunk. and the ride is great in terms of handling. his ride is pretty low as well.
btw, i def think you should get your car aligned afterwards...but make sure you ride on your setup for a while before doing it. let the springs settle. i had mine corner balanced and aligned.
gl with setup. whichever one you choose...
here some pics to help you out...mine is CB, friend's is AW:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	113_1368.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	123.8 KB
ID:	195534   Click image for larger version

Name:	113_1394.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	128.5 KB
ID:	195535  
interior: IconTV with DVD player; hardwired V1 with StealthOne; reverse camera

12CMiM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 01:43 PM   #59
e330zhp46

My Ride: (SEE SIGNATURE)
Send a message via Skype™ to e330zhp46
KONIS with H&R sprots on the front and CUP KIT sptings in the rear

UUC sways

** sig size and layout changed by tim330i to reduce side scroll ** sorry my monitor is 1680x1050 so there is no side scroll for me
e330zhp46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2006, 07:32 PM   #60
E46007

My Ride: 01 330ci hellrot red
Does anybody have any input on eibach sways?