E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-06-2006, 08:42 PM   #1
GunMoto

My Ride: EG8 | E46 | W211
Send a message via AIM to GunMoto
Exclamation Wheel spacers: A safety concern?

I recently had a local tire shop repair a puncture on a tire, along with a tire rotation. Upon arrival, I was informed they could not reinstall the Rogue Engineering 10mm spacers I had previously mounted in the rear. When asked why, they responded with (in summary), "The lugbolts have a higher risk to unloosen when using wheel spacers. If wheel spacers are required, you must use wheel spacers that bolt onto your hub. We cannot re-mount these spacers for you."

Fortunately, I keep on hand my spare set of OEM lugbolts and had them set my spacers and extended lugbolts aside so they could finish mounting my rear wheels.

I'm planning to remount the RE 10mm spacers in my rear and it's purely for asthetic appeal presenting an image a wider track. Should I be concerned with safety issues using wheel spacers?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:19 AM   #2
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
I've got to call BS.....Rogue Engineering sells these extended lug bolts with thier spacers.I highly doubt they would be doing this if there was a saftey concern. I also run these spacers on my car for the same reason you do and I check my lug bolt torque often and they have never been loose.
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:32 AM   #3
CAOSyAMOR

My Ride: 1) 2002 E46 2)///M3
I had a 4Runner which saw occasional off-road use and it was recommended to fit a 'proper' rim for this application, no hubcentrics or spacers, due to increased 'abuse'.. I stay away from wheel spacers/hubcentrics because I buy a rim for 'performance' and function as well as aesthetics. I push my car hard sometimes and I feel much more comfortable w/o them. Is this a valid concern? Please feel free to speak up!!
Old 09-08-2006, 01:09 AM   #4
elite53

My Ride: Twin Screwed 325Ci
If you feel more comfortable without them then thats great but I would challenge anyone to prove that these are unsafe. I have seen spacers on SCCA race cars so obviously they can handle the stresses applied to these parts.Those guys push thier cars harder than I ever could on the street.Also with five lug bolts torqued to 87 ft/lbs holding everything together these spacers might as well be welded on.Just my opinions here but feel free to prove me wrong..
elite53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:20 AM   #5
CAOSyAMOR

My Ride: 1) 2002 E46 2)///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by elite53 View Post
If you feel more comfortable without them then thats great but I would challenge anyone to prove that these are unsafe. I have seen spacers on SCCA race cars so obviously they can handle the stresses applied to these parts.Those guys push thier cars harder than I ever could on the street.Also with five lug bolts torqued to 87 ft/lbs holding everything together these spacers might as well be welded on.Just my opinions here but feel free to prove me wrong..
cool, thanks! I'm sure there is a right way and a wrong way for everything.. my only (second-hand) experience was wrt a friend who snaped his wheel off at the lugs while he was 4wheelin'.. now that i think about it i don't think he replaced his lugs w longer ones, hence the carnage.. but its much simpler w our cars to use appropriate bolts for the app.
Old 11-15-2010, 04:33 AM   #6
kevvygp

My Ride: 320D
I used 5mm spacers on a high performance GTiR for years, with the standard lugs - not a brilliant idea I admit, but I used a little locknut, torqued them up to over 90 pounds, and checked them often and no worries ever ever. I also placed a tiny bit of gun-gum around the bolt heads to absorb any posibble vibration a tiny bit more (hey i dunno if this helped but I was doing it anyway so why not). While this is not exactly a brainiac move, I am just saying that it takes a helluva force or abuse for lugs to come loose in my experience. Not only that, I have had some wheels come loose before (on other cars with no spacers!) and unless you are going ape and break a few at once, they will come loose slowly and individually (remember though that after 1 comes loose the others will start to take strain and vibrate) and you will immediately hear the rattling offending bolt/wheel, LONG before it or any others come off and your wheel sbounces into the sunset.

But of course I would not recommend anything more than a 5mm spacer if you do this, and if you have/can afford longer bolts, do that rather, especially if your wheel uses lug nuts and not throu-bolts.
kevvygp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
NOVAbimmer

My Ride: 14 Impala FXST M796
Quote:
Originally Posted by GunMoto View Post
"The lugbolts have a higher risk to unloosen when using wheel spacers. If wheel spacers are required, you must use wheel spacers that bolt onto your hub. We cannot re-mount these spacers for you."

[/B]
I don't think you need to worry about your lugs "unloosening" while you're driving.
Old 11-15-2010, 08:06 AM   #8
Dan Rodriguez

My Ride: 02 SMG M3 Vert
After four years I'm sure he has figured out the answer to his question.

Good job though!
Dan Rodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:54 PM   #9
VMRWheels
Sponsor

My Ride: 1:25 Scale Enzo
Send a message via AIM to VMRWheels Send a message via Yahoo to VMRWheels
Gunther,

Spacers are perfectly fine to use as long as they are a high quality hub centric spacer that has the proper length lug bolts. Most chain wheel/tire shops and dealerships will not come anywhere near spacers just due to liability reasons.

I have been personally running 10mm spacers on my race car for years without a problem.

-Charles@VMRWheels

Facebook! | Flickr! | Blog! | Instagram!
*** WINTER WHEEL/TIRE SALE!! ***
VMRWheels is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:42 AM   #10
Sinjian485

My Ride: 323i
Hi, I currently have 15" rims and have bought a set of E46 17" rims. Can I simply place the new rims and tyres on the car or will I need to use spacers?
Thanks,
S485
Sinjian485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:50 AM   #11
tootall

My Ride: 2011 328iT 3 pedals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjian485 View Post
Hi, I currently have 15" rims and have bought a set of E46 17" rims. Can I simply place the new rims and tyres on the car or will I need to use spacers?
Thanks,
S485
Spacers should not be required to fit upgraded OEM E46 rims on an E46. There are fitment issues trying to put E46 M3 rims on an non-M, but I don't think spacers would solve those issues.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:02 PM   #12
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Well... spacers are illegal in some states (like Massachusetts), so clearly there are safety concerns somewhere
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:12 PM   #13
Steven747

My Ride: 05 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
Well... spacers are illegal in some states (like Massachusetts), so clearly there are safety concerns somewhere
yeah well the state in itself is a joke then.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #14
Snik
OEM ///Member

My Ride: IR M3 Vert.
agh... dumb asses. This is how bum scoop gets passed around.
spacers are perfectly safe, if race cars can use them, i think theyre safe enough for us commuters.
plus the good ones are TUV approved. That wouldnt happen if they weren't safe.

What hes prolly seen is spacers with stock bolts that weren't long enough, or cheap spacers that weren't completely flat, and probably both combined with lugs that weren't torqued to the correct specs.
Id put money on those.
Snik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #15
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven747 View Post
yeah well the state in itself is a joke then.
this...

because Mass is so concerned about saftey, that their standards are higher than race orgs and TUV and DOT and JWL.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #16
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tootall View Post
Spacers should not be required to fit upgraded OEM E46 rims on an E46. There are fitment issues trying to put non M (high offset) rims on an M, or 5, or 7 series (low offset) .
Fixed
Old 09-11-2011, 01:39 PM   #17
Snik
OEM ///Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinjian485 View Post
Thanks,
S485
15 and 17 are diameters and have absolutely NOTHING to do with spacers.
what you need to know is width and offsets.

but generally, from the same chassis it will be a direct swap as long as youre not going from M to non M, etc, as i mentioned in the previous post.
Old 09-11-2011, 01:54 PM   #18
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
^ or if you are way lowered a lot more than what most people would do. my friend had to get spacers (fairly large ones at that) to get some OEM 18s to clear his suspension

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:25 PM   #19
Snik
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
^ or if you are way lowered a lot more than what most people would do. my friend had to get spacers (fairly large ones at that) to get some OEM 18s to clear his suspension
wow never seen that happen, but can see how it would be possible now that you mention it.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #20
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by snikwad View Post
wow never seen that happen, but can see how it would be possible now that you mention it.
lol yea i was like there was no way when he told me. then i checked it out myself and yep.

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote