E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2006, 07:46 PM   #1
roymseafood

My Ride: 99 BMW 323i
Need advice: Bulbs to go on your clear coners

Hi all,

I just installed JDM black housing clear corners on my car and worried about those picky cops. Could anyone advise me of what type of bulbs to get to avoid the fines from the cops? I know there're LED types, Steath Silver types but i don't think they're street legal are they? Please advise. Thanks.
roymseafood is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-07-2006, 10:43 PM   #2
JmeC
Banned

My Ride: 2001 330iA
They are legal in Canada.

The law in the Canadian safety code strictly states turn signals MUST be Amber or White. All other colors are prohibited...
In Cali, as most states which are regulated by the DOT, I believe they must flash amber (not 100% sure but that is what I read).

You can still get LED Amber flash turn-signals from www.jlevisw.com
JmeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 10:58 PM   #3
hoppa79

My Ride: needs more cowbell
in CA, the rear turn signals must flash amber. for the front, white or amber is ok.
hoppa79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 11:32 PM   #4
roymseafood

are you sure Hopa79? I'll get the LED white then. Do you have a link to that rule? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppa79 View Post
in CA, the rear turn signals must flash amber. for the front, white or amber is ok.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:10 AM   #5
JCsE46
(oOO \ (||||)(||||) / OOo)

My Ride: 03 E46 JB, 08 MBE350
Send a message via AIM to JCsE46 Send a message via MSN to JCsE46
Quote:
Originally Posted by roymseafood View Post
are you sure Hopa79? I'll get the LED white then. Do you have a link to that rule? Thanks.
Yes, Here's what California Vehicle Code no. 24953 (a) states:

Turn Signal Lamps
24953. (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.

Here's my LED "white" turn signal lights look like and lights set-up:

Last edited by JCsE46; 09-08-2006 at 12:14 AM.
JCsE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:38 AM   #6
roymseafood

Nice , thanks man. i'll get the LED ones then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCsE46 View Post
Yes, Here's what California Vehicle Code no. 24953 (a) states:

Turn Signal Lamps
24953. (a) Any turn signal system used to give a signal of intention to turn right or left shall project a flashing white or amber light visible to the front and a flashing red or amber light visible to the rear.

Here's my LED "white" turn signal lights look like and lights set-up:
Old 09-08-2006, 12:48 AM   #7
JmeC
Banned

Yay I feel special for having the LEDs in the rear and the front
Old 09-08-2006, 01:11 AM   #8
roymseafood

Did you buy 2 sets for both front and rear? I've already bought the LED tail lights from JLevis , do I need to buy the Rear LED bulbs reverse light separately? Do you know if the LED tail lights come with the LED bulbs already for the reverse ? Thanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JmeC View Post
Yay I feel special for having the LEDs in the rear and the front
Old 09-08-2006, 01:34 AM   #9
JmeC
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by roymseafood View Post
Did you buy 2 sets for both front and rear? I've already bought the LED tail lights from JLevis , do I need to buy the Rear LED bulbs reverse light separately? Do you know if the LED tail lights come with the LED bulbs already for the reverse ? Thanks.
The same ones that you get for the front also work in the rear.

And no... NOT the reverse lights.. the reverse lights are when you back UP. You can get those too but I didn't get those... backing up is rare unless I'm parallel parking or in a parking lot.

I will post some pictures of my setup in the rear... because of all that carpet crap there was really nowhere to put the ohms resistor, so I cut out a piece of aluminum rail with a hacksaw, bolted the Ohms resistor inside the rail, and VHB 3m taped the aluminum rail with the resistor to the metal triangular part (under the rubber linings of your trunk) that is the "ceiling" of the trunkspace.

Hard to describe but I'll show pics tomorrow.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:11 AM   #10
roymseafood

Thanks JmeC. It's okay, I just realized my LED tails that I purchased already come with LED bulbs so I won't need the rear. I will just get the front. You're right I don't really need the backup light, we rarely use it. Thanks again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JmeC View Post
The same ones that you get for the front also work in the rear.

And no... NOT the reverse lights.. the reverse lights are when you back UP. You can get those too but I didn't get those... backing up is rare unless I'm parallel parking or in a parking lot.

I will post some pictures of my setup in the rear... because of all that carpet crap there was really nowhere to put the ohms resistor, so I cut out a piece of aluminum rail with a hacksaw, bolted the Ohms resistor inside the rail, and VHB 3m taped the aluminum rail with the resistor to the metal triangular part (under the rubber linings of your trunk) that is the "ceiling" of the trunkspace.

Hard to describe but I'll show pics tomorrow.
Old 09-08-2006, 11:59 AM   #11
W4rmachine

My Ride: oNe sLo 3twenty3
Send a message via AIM to W4rmachine
my rear turn signals are brite white i dont like the amber ones cops dont have a problem with mine. I do like the bite amber front corners though.
[BMW 323ci] Mods: AA Supercharged C30 Kit | AA Gen 3 exhaust | OEM M3 front | Vorsteiner Hood | Custom paint Volk TE37 | GTR sideskirts | Hamann rear addon | HKS Hipermaxx Coilover | Voltex GT Type 1 Wing | OEM M3 side mirror | Autentic ACS Lip |
W4rmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 12:29 PM   #12
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Our LED bulbs are 100% DOT approved and street legal. As long as you have either xenon white or amber up front and amber in the rear, you are fully complying with the law
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote