E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 19 votes, 4.79 average. Display Modes
Old 09-08-2006, 06:29 PM   #1
Nehemiah1

My Ride: 325i
Back Lights out warning panel NHTSA Investigation brake light bulb socket overheating

Having problems with the brake light bulb/socket overheating and the display information in the dash giving the wrong display? Larry Long with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration is looking for owners that have had this problem and details about what the final repair was performed.

I had a bulb which kept going out and the issue did not get resolved until I replaced the rear bulb housing. The connectors had corroded and the bulb was shorting out.

Before calling Larry, please post the date and description of the problem, a picture if possible, and what the final repair was.

If we document this and gather enough response this could lead to a full investigation and a safer 3 series. Larry can be reached at 1-800-986-9678 x 66281. Attached are some photos of this problem.

Nehemiah 1
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW_Brake_Lamp_Housing_002.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	155.1 KB
ID:	194895   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW_BRAKE_SOCKET_031.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	127.2 KB
ID:	194896   Click image for larger version

Name:	BMW_BRAKE_SOCKET_053.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	194897  
Nehemiah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-08-2006, 06:42 PM   #2
msuka

My Ride: 2013 335i M sport
This is happening to me.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:55 PM   #3
Nehemiah1

My Ride: 325i
Back Lights out warning panel NHTSA Investigation brake light bulb socket overheating

bump
Nehemiah1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:34 PM   #4
bombguy

My Ride: 2004 M3
All my bulbs are fine but my indicator light on my dash is saying one of them is out...wtf? I'm not sure if this is a related problem but does anyone else have this issue???
bombguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:38 PM   #5
325xiVan

My Ride: 03 M3 Cabrio
Don't want to jack thread, but...

How about we tell Larry about the tearing subframe problem?
325xiVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:57 PM   #6
Imola.ZHP

My Ride: Imola ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nehemiah1 View Post
Having problems with the brake light bulb/socket overheating and the display information in the dash giving the wrong display? Larry Long with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration is looking for owners that have had this problem and details about what the final repair was performed.

I had a bulb which kept going out and the issue did not get resolved until I replaced the rear bulb housing. The connectors had corroded and the bulb was shorting out.

Before calling Larry, please post the date and description of the problem, a picture if possible, and what the final repair was.

If we document this and gather enough response this could lead to a full investigation and a safer 3 series. Larry can be reached at 1-800-986-9678 x 66281. Attached are some photos of this problem.

Nehemiah 1
Interesting...

My taillight sockets look NOTHING like your pictures...

Your pictures look similar to my neighbors e36 vert. He had this problem and had to replace one of those bulb holder sockets. It was a whopping $7 at the local BMW dealership...

As for the e46, I had this issue in mine. As I stated in the other thread, all I had to do was pull slightly out on my connectin harness to cure the problem. I was experienceing the problem when I purchased the car on 05/20/06. I found the problem about a month later and have been trouble free for just over 3 months now...

I'm not sure if this is much help to you or not...

-- '03 330i ZHP
-- Marcus
Imola.ZHP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:51 PM   #7
jss8422

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
I am experiencing this problem right now, and will put up some pictures post-investigation....
jss8422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 08:50 PM   #8
jss8422

My Ride: 2003 BMW 330i
Is there any tutorial on how to replace the housing, because I still haven't figured out my break light problem...
jss8422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:47 PM   #9
JL

My Ride: 2002 325i
My left rear turning light started to go out in the summer. I thought that the bulb simply needed to be replaced, but it turned out that one of the pins on the bulb carrier had melted into the socket. I was able to purchase a new socket ($2-3 from a local BMW dealership) and had my mechanic replace the entire socket. I do need to buy a new rear left bulb carrier, which, from what I understand, costs $20-40. My mechanic charged me about $50 for the labor.

I didn't realize that so many people have been having this problem. Is BMW aware of this problem, and what is being done about it?
JL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:54 PM   #10
bmwnetgui

My Ride: 01 330 & 03 996c4s
Send a message via AIM to bmwnetgui Send a message via Yahoo to bmwnetgui
My lights in my display screen says my bulbs are out but they work fine. It has been this way for a few months now. The problem occured when I took my car in to the dealership for a regular maintainance and when I got my car back, the display in the dashboard was reading the bulbs were out. I went back to the dealership and explained the situation and let them know I didn't give them the car in that manner. Their explanation was that I am using aftermarket bulbs and that's what caused the display to error out. I then explained to them I have had aftermarket bulbs on my car for over 2 years and never had a problem until they serviced their car and all of a sudden I am getting error codes. They refused to touch it and fix the problem so I have continued driving with the error code on my display and I check periodically to make sure my brake lights work and they work fine. How can I get rid of this error on my display, Would I have to purchase a brand new bulb housing?

Sig by Hi it's me alec

moore technology consulting
www.moore-tech.com
347 682-5711
bmwnetgui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 02:30 PM   #11
PreppyR6

My Ride: shines like justice
is it saying both lights are out, if so check your license plate lights, if theyre on it could be a corroded connection between license plate lights and the the metal strip they mount to, this would lead to the computer thinking theyre out when theyre not
Old 10-20-2006, 02:51 PM   #12
JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL View Post
My left rear turning light started to go out in the summer. I thought that the bulb simply needed to be replaced, but it turned out that one of the pins on the bulb carrier had melted into the socket. I was able to purchase a new socket ($2-3 from a local BMW dealership) and had my mechanic replace the entire socket. I do need to buy a new rear left bulb carrier, which, from what I understand, costs $20-40. My mechanic charged me about $50 for the labor.

I didn't realize that so many people have been having this problem. Is BMW aware of this problem, and what is being done about it?
FYI, the housing that needed to be replaced was p/n 12-52-7-519-956, and cost $3 from my local dealership.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:27 PM   #13
SULEV1

My Ride: 2004 325I
All dealerships are aware of this problem and will replace whatever is wrong for free. At least thats what my SA told me when they replaced mine.
SULEV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:01 PM   #14
JL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SULEV1 View Post
All dealerships are aware of this problem and will replace whatever is wrong for free. At least thats what my SA told me when they replaced mine.
Do they do the replacement only if you're in your warranty period? When I brought my car into the dealership, the parts guy even came to look at my car and didn't say a word about fixing the problem for free.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:37 AM   #15
///Mechanic

My Ride: None currently
You guys who find your bulbs are ok, and still have a light indicator on the dash..........I have something for you to check. Take the electrical connector out on both sides of the taillight assemblies. Carefully look into the male end of the wiring harness, there are 7 of 8 pins used. Look to see if the plug housing looks melted, and one of the pins is burned. We are getting alot of these in now on 2001-2003 or so E46's. It requires cutting the melted connector off, soldering in a new wire pin for the burned one, and in most cases a light bulb carrier housing.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:41 AM   #16
TravsM3

My Ride: 05' 545i, ZSP
Hey, where do you work ///Mechanic? I am in NC, just pm me to tell me if you don't want a bunch of people knowing
Old 10-24-2006, 01:20 PM   #17
s0b3

My Ride: 02 325i
Had the same problem. Dealer replaced it but I had to pay. Callled Larry and filed a report. We need more people to speak up if they've had this problem so BMW will fix it. It was $94 out of my pocket for this issue.
s0b3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 01:29 PM   #18
LakeHaus

My Ride: '01 330cic
This sounds like the same problem I'm having... display shows drivers side rear bulb is bad - I do a viz and bulb doesn't work. Next day (or hour, or minute) the display shows AOK, and the bulb is working. I haven't done anything about it yet except curse the display... maybe I'll contact Larry Long and file my prob. Meanwhile, I'll call my local BMW dealer to see what they want to fix it - if they even acknowledge it as a common problem!
Old 11-12-2006, 01:34 PM   #19
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
that happened to one of my front turn indicators, the new piece looked to be redesigned.

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 08:44 PM   #20
caseblue

My Ride: 2002 330i
My intermittent turning to persistent rear bulb warnings on the dash turned out to be overheated/burned wiring harness connector pins (the male pins on the bulb carrier assembly AND the female sockets on the harness were fried). This was on both the left and right sides but was isolated to the ground wire (large brown wire) on each.

Disconnect the wiring harness and check this if you're having this problem (or anytime you're replacing a bulb). The pins and plastic harness will show signs of overheating such as discoloration and shape distortion. Replace the bulb carrier/housing assembly and the plastic wiring harness end clip and individual crimp-on wire end tips as necessary (make sure to get some extras!)

Parts below are for a post face lift E46 330i

63-21-7-165-865 - Bulb housing assy. (not sure if this is L or R side)
63-21-7-165-866 - Bulb housing assy. (not sure if this is L or R side)
12-52-76-519-956 - Wire harness end connector (1 for each side)
12-52-1-433-217 - Crimp-on wire end tips
caseblue is offline   Reply With Quote