E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 09-11-2006, 09:00 AM   #21
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Prototype BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkyman View Post
They couldn`t develop a E46 Turbo Kit for 7yrs what are they going to do with the 335.
How you know so little. If you dont know what you are talking about please dont say anything at all.
Omar@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:10 AM   #22
davidwarren
Halfway to 2L

My Ride: 2010 335i
I remember reading that BMW had to detune the torque on this engine because they did not have a transmission that would reliably handle the amount of torque that this engine could easily put out. I think it was in road and track or somthing like it.

You down with UCC? Ya you know me!
sowing the seeds of jiggery pokery
davidwarren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:58 AM   #23
RedBarron

My Ride: Lexus LS
Send a message via AIM to RedBarron
I can't wait to see what AA does with the 335I, I think they will have it chipped soon, they managed to chip the E60 a few months after it came out so I doubt it will be long. I am very cirous how much boost the stock tiny turbos can make, what size are the stock turbos anyways?
Old 09-11-2006, 12:17 PM   #24
JCz04Bimmer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci & 06 Z4MC
Send a message via AIM to JCz04Bimmer
From what I heard...for what its worth... while tuning for the 335i may yield big end-game numbers, actual performance benefits may be slightly less than desirable. From what I'm told, the small turbos are flooded with a super-rich fuel mixture upon mashing down on the pedal. This extremely rich mixture is then ignited and kickstarts the smallish turbos and results in that nonexistent lag everyone talks about.

From the people I've spoken to, they've all said that software will likely increase numbers but it will be very hard to maintain that fuel algorithm so you may end up with 50 more hp with a simple software reflash but you may end up losing that lagless performance. And, to be hoenst, if that is the case, I'll skip the 50 horses and keep the instant on power! Now, as for adding larger turbos to the equation, aside from being expensive and requiring actual cutting and welding, this may again yield huge horsepower increases at peak but the car will ultimately be plauged by the same turbo-lag BMW engineers obviously hate (myself included).

So in the end, understand that regardless of a company's ability to chip the most advance software, the 335i may not be the kind of car you want to put software in. Trust me, I had my MS45.1 system tuned by AA a few weeks ago. I'm just as much of a fan of theirs as anyone else. But simply saying, oh well if they can do an E60 they can do an E92 is silly. Its far more complex than actually cracking the code. Once its cracked, you need to be able to deliver desirable performance. Not just performance. And, from the sources I've spoken to, they've all expressed intense skepticism on the 335i's reseptiveness to software due to its unique turbo management.

JCz04Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 12:46 PM   #25
Custom3

My Ride: HellRot 330CI
There were rumors that the turbos on the 335 were welding on so they couldnt be removed....anyone can confirm this??
Custom3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:29 PM   #26
JCz04Bimmer

My Ride: 2004 330Ci & 06 Z4MC
Send a message via AIM to JCz04Bimmer
I'm pretty certain the are welded on. That's not to say they can't be removed. They just can't be removed easily. And, see my above comments for why you may not even want to remove them.

JCz04Bimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 03:28 PM   #27
Oshin02

My Ride: turbo E46/M3/MCoupe
Send a message via AIM to Oshin02
Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom3 View Post
There were rumors that the turbos on the 335 were welding on so they couldnt be removed....anyone can confirm this??
The turbos are not exactly welded on. The exhaust housign and the cast manifolds are all one piece. Nothing new, audi's done that with the a4/b5 s4, and dodge with the srt-4's to name a few. There is no cuttign involved, you simply slap on the e36 tyrbo manifolds whcih are laying around anywhere. Smae goes to the non M e46's.

-Oshin P.

I am, CARBON MAN.....
Oshin02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 04:23 PM   #28
clean-m-tech330

My Ride: Technik 330ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to clean-m-tech330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oshin02 View Post
The motor in the 335i (N54) is running a 10.2:1 compression ratio and is boosting 8.52 psi. I find this a negative when it comes about the timing side of tunnig. Basically, the 335i is a 330i/ci with a blower on it...
yes it is in a sense, but with with really really good injectors too which keep the car running silky smooth. Back to the other arguement from before, the engine bay sizes between the e46 and 335 are different. Fitting a larger single turbo will be a pricey to say the least, as to really make it fit the turbo would probably have to moved lower to the groud.... I'm sure someone will figure it out-
'07 Subaru Satin White Pearl STI - Garage Queen
'11 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Daily
clean-m-tech330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 04:50 PM   #29
e popa

My Ride: M3,Sc323ci,Ml320
Quote:
They couldn`t develop a E46 Turbo Kit for 7yrs what are they going to do with the 335.
Yeah, AA doesnt know anything

AW M3
Matte Black CSL's,gills & grills
brembos, Dinan exhaust
Alacantra wheel
OEM CSL trunk,VCSL roof,bumper,diffuser
e popa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 05:50 PM   #30
funkyman

My Ride: 330ci,Mazdaspeed3
OK just out of curiosity,theoritically since the 335 is a 3.0lt twin turbo engine,couldn`t the e46 330 be twin turbo charged then use the identical ECU of the 335.Would that work in theory.Or clone software program of the 335 and implicate it on the e46 330.
Old 09-11-2006, 06:07 PM   #31
icosaca

My Ride: BMW AA blown 325 ci
funkyman, let me tell you you sound like a complete idiot to think the 335i engine is the same as the e46 330 engine with turbos added. its a completely diferent story.
by the way, im with you, "AA coudnt build a turbo for the e46 m3" could you???
Old 09-11-2006, 09:25 PM   #32
funkyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by icosaca View Post
funkyman, let me tell you you sound like a complete idiot to think the 335i engine is the same as the e46 330 engine with turbos added. its a completely diferent story.
by the way, im with you, "AA coudnt build a turbo for the e46 m3" could you???
Well i said theoritically anyway.In principle its the same,an inline vanos 6 cylinder with a 3 liter displacement.The ECU is different and maybe engine layout,but that wouldn`t hinder a possibility though.

I`m not really bothered about AA.I like to joke around soemtimes thats all.I`m sure they have the know how and they can,but the feasability and profitibility is just not up there like the SC kits so you have to take coorporate desicions when developing and designing kits.I know they can and they probably have,but the maintenance and warranty issues also pose a problem.I`m just basically triying from out of good will to get some shops to do it,to make the forum and the E46 community more exciting and fun,get some bloody controversial arguments,not so boring threads.I mean didn`t we have fun with DA Motorsports and Hung?Sure we did and i miss that.However recently my persuing of this has got me into some trouble by some moderators for some reason.I`ve done no harm and have got decent sensible replies from ESS for example,but as i said someone butted in without fairness and gave his own opinion which was basically a warning ofcourse speaking on behalf of everyone else no doubt,but they own the joint so i give up.They can supercharge the cars to death for all i care.I couldn`t care less.The undeniable fact remains that the 335 or any turbo charged car will wipp any SC BMW`s ass at equal HP.The figures are there and to deny it,would be stupidity.

Last edited by funkyman; 09-11-2006 at 09:28 PM.
funkyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 09:30 PM   #33
funkyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
I remember reading that BMW had to detune the torque on this engine because they did not have a transmission that would reliably handle the amount of torque that this engine could easily put out. I think it was in road and track or somthing like it.
Yes but for Automatic not manual.The manual can handle 400hp.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:53 PM   #34
TxZHP04

My Ride: ESS TS2+ ZHP
Quote:
I`m just basically triying... to make the forum and the E46 community more exciting and fun,get some bloody controversial arguments,not so boring threads.I mean didn`t we have fun with DA Motorsports and Hung?Sure we did and i miss that.
If that's going to be the extent of your contributions to the forums, then you can go troll somewhere else as far as I am concerned.
TxZHP04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 11:50 PM   #35
Oshin02

My Ride: turbo E46/M3/MCoupe
Send a message via AIM to Oshin02
Quote:
OK just out of curiosity,theoritically since the 335 is a 3.0lt twin turbo engine,couldn`t the e46 330 be twin turbo charged then use the identical ECU of the 335.Would that work in theory.Or clone software program of the 335 and implicate it on the e46 330.

I am, CARBON MAN.....
Oshin02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 07:19 AM   #36
stimpee

My Ride: No Bimmer right now
Send a message via AIM to stimpee
Hey funkyman, how do you plan to deal with direct injection on the 335 vs no direct injection on the e46?

i betcha the injector on times and flow rates are just a BIT different!!

Steve
stimpee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 11:28 AM   #37
clean-m-tech330

My Ride: Technik 330ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to clean-m-tech330
^

precisely-
'07 Subaru Satin White Pearl STI - Garage Queen
'11 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Daily
clean-m-tech330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #38
funkyman

Oshin yours won`t fit mine and i dont know about direct injection,no clue!!!
Old 09-12-2006, 03:21 PM   #39
Omar@ActiveAutowerke
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: Prototype BMW's
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmweb View Post
This is not true. AA is trying to get away from custom projects. It requires waaay to much time, effort and resources.
Not entirely true. Heres one of our most recent projects here. We are also doing some custom work on Indy car Driver Tony Kanaan's car (E46 M3) as we speak. I want to say thank you to Vorsteiner,BBS,Brembo,Ground Control for there support as well.

I will start a new thread with the rest of the info..
Omar@ActiveAutowerke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:47 PM   #40
xxcosmicxx
The OG Black Roof

My Ride: Long Gone
I have a question...

The problem with turbocharging e46's has been the tuning...

Since the e92 will have factory F/I tuning; would it be possible for a company like AA to alter the OEM computer from an e92 and retrofit it into an e46?

edit: I read up a little in the thread, and a similar question has been asked....

Is it possible?

Last edited by xxcosmicxx; 09-12-2006 at 04:49 PM.
xxcosmicxx is offline   Reply With Quote