E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 09-10-2006, 12:44 AM   #1
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
HID Projector Fog DIY

First off, a few people have done this mod already, including PYRITE and Otherside.

For the past 2 years, I’ve had HID fogs in my OEM M-Tech fogs (with both the M-Aero and M-Tech II bumpers). While having the HID fogs match my HID low beams gives me a great look, it also gave me sub-par performance. HID bulbs in halogen projectors gives off uneven, scatter light that is dangerous to oncoming traffic. Thus, my fogs were relegated to being used essentially as high beams—only when there was no traffic around. In fact, they were really more driving lights that fog. In bad weather, extreme bright light decreases visibility.

The solution: Projectors in a fog light with 3000k (yellow) HID bulbs.

First off, you need the projectors. There is a now an aftermarket solution for these. BTW, these are a replacement for the M3 fogs, so if you don’t have an M-Tech II, M-Aero or M3 bumper (or one that uses those fogs), you’re SOL.

You can buy them on eBay (as I did):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02-03-04-BMW-M3-M5-E46-4D-BLACK-PROJECTOR-FOG-LIGHTS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33709QQihZ013QQitemZ230026 294482QQrdZ1"

or from site sponsor JLevi:
http://jlevistreetwerks.com/store/pr...2d4c0d2ab4b51c

PYRITE also has a video of these installed with the same 3000k HID setup that I have:
http://www.crossroadvideos.com/video...4500D05CE9.htm

Even though these are projectors, they use halogen bulbs. You’re current M3 fogs use 9006 bulbs. These projectors use H3 bulbs.

This is what an H3 bulb looks like:

I purchased a set of H3 3000k Prolumen bulbs from Umnitza. They will work with my existing Xtec ballasts. I’ll just need to swap the 9006 connectors for the H3 ones…

Prolumen H3 3000k HID bulb:

Here are the eBay fogs:

sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-10-2006, 12:45 AM   #2
sna77
OEM ///Member

There are 2 screws holding the back plate on. Remove these 2 screws.

You now need to drill a 3/4" hole in the back plate. This will allow the larger HID wires to get out:

The HID bulbs have a rubber stopper on them. Use a knife to carefully cut the rubber piece off.

Once you've fed the wires through the hole, put the rubber stopper back on.

I used electrical tape to make sure they'd be water tight:

Once that's done, connect them to your ballasts (I'm going to finish that part up later). Here's one of them installed vs. the regular M fogs on my car:

Last edited by sna77; 09-10-2006 at 12:48 AM.
Old 09-10-2006, 03:58 AM   #3
rg1bmw

My Ride: 2002 Infiniti Q45
Looks good

Nice clean install. Post a picture with the 3000K fogs lighted up. I like this install and will check on maybe doing this for my sedan. You are 100% right about using projectors on any HID conversion. thanks for the info. good thread.

2002 BMW 530i

Black Leather/5 Speed/Sport Package
rg1bmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg1bmw View Post
Nice clean install. Post a picture with the 3000K fogs lighted up. I like this install and will check on maybe doing this for my sedan. You are 100% right about using projectors on any HID conversion. thanks for the info. good thread.
Thanks! I'll do one better btw... This is a video that PYRITE did showing the light pattern etc:

http://www.crossroadvideos.com/video...4500D05CE9.htm
Old 09-10-2006, 11:08 AM   #5
///OSS

My Ride: "The.. 325CI"
Send a message via AIM to ///OSS Send a message via MSN to ///OSS
nice that works 100%, I got lazy with the metal backing and I just glued the bulb in there and electrical taped it..hehe

but Ill go ahead and do what you did just for the hell of it....

I love mine
///OSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 11:16 AM   #6
2000_328CI
DK Jack Sparrow

My Ride: 328Ci | Range Rover
Send a message via AIM to 2000_328CI Send a message via MSN to 2000_328CI
that looks really nice

Everything you need to know on muffler deletes : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=745244
Wrapping an E46 in Vinyl : http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...ghlight=bronze
2000_328CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 02:34 PM   #7
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by otherside View Post
nice that works 100%, I got lazy with the metal backing and I just glued the bulb in there and electrical taped it..hehe

but Ill go ahead and do what you did just for the hell of it....

I love mine
i was actually surprised drilling the hole worked..

Otherside... Do your fogs have glass over them? I wonder if these projectors could be fit intp the OEM housings...
Old 09-12-2006, 01:55 PM   #8
skiggity

My Ride: M3
nice post, i didn't know my hid fogs could be so dangerous without projectors. Guess i'll put this on my shopping list also.
Old 09-12-2006, 02:41 PM   #9
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiggity View Post
nice post, i didn't know my hid fogs could be so dangerous without projectors. Guess i'll put this on my shopping list also.
Judge for yourself... These are HID "kits" in halogen housings (for low beams, not fogs, but you get the point)

The Bad:

The Good:

Old 09-12-2006, 03:13 PM   #10
ATLZHP6M

My Ride: TS2+ ZHP, ESS E39 M5
I have a question? I got a 9006 HID kit from visionbulbs.
Would that size bulb fit on the ebay projector fogs?

ESS TS2+ Street/Track Toy
ATLZHP6M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2006, 04:53 PM   #11
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLZHP6M View Post
I have a question? I got a 9006 HID kit from visionbulbs.
Would that size bulb fit on the ebay projector fogs?
No, the OEM bulbs are 9006. These fogs take 93. You can however reuses your ballasts. You just need new bulbs. They are about $100 - $150 from the sponsers...
Old 09-13-2006, 05:43 AM   #12
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
No, the OEM bulbs are 9006. These fogs take 93. You can however reuses your ballasts. You just need new bulbs. They are about $100 - $150 from the sponsers...
I think you did a typo. You mean "H3" not "93" bulbs. The H3 bulbs are also known as the pigtail bulb.

Also, how do you think those would look with my flush Hamann M-tech foglight covers? I don't think those recessed fogs will match well..do you?
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...Anch=imgAnch22

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 09-13-2006 at 05:50 AM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2006, 10:09 AM   #13
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
I think you did a typo. You mean "H3" not "93" bulbs. The H3 bulbs are also known as the pigtail bulb.

Also, how do you think those would look with my flush Hamann M-tech foglight covers? I don't think those recessed fogs will match well..do you?
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...Anch=imgAnch22
Yup, I fat fingered it... H3 bulbs are what these fogs take.

Alex, i dont think they will look that bad w/o the glass... The fogs are so low that they kind of disappear into the bumper anyway... they just look black from a distance... Although I agree... these would look much better if they had glass over them... No idea why they dont...
Old 10-19-2006, 07:04 PM   #14
sna77
OEM ///Member

FINALLY have some pictures up... Just got my car back from the shop...

3000k Prolumen bulbs / ballasts:

Cut-off angle:

Light color vs. OEM 4100k bulbs:

With HID low beams on:

Old 10-19-2006, 09:53 PM   #15
james2538

My Ride: Sold
Looks Good!

Couldn't wait to install the ones you sent me this weekend but, I am slightly hesitant now...

How bad is it to install HID into the reflector fogs? I guess it never occured to me, since I reasoned that the fogs were low enough. There aren't any options for projector housing into a pre-facelift bumper. Damn...
james2538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 01:45 AM   #16
Alex323Ci

Looking good.
I'm part of the club, I put mine in on Sunday. They have some positives and negatives. I think I am going to try and retrofit the glass on mine. I went with 4300K to match my headlamps, I had 8000K prior in my OEM M-techs. (I was planning to write a little about what I found out for the weekend viewers.)
Old 10-20-2006, 07:44 AM   #17
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2538 View Post
Looks Good!

Couldn't wait to install the ones you sent me this weekend but, I am slightly hesitant now...

How bad is it to install HID into the reflector fogs? I guess it never occured to me, since I reasoned that the fogs were low enough. There aren't any options for projector housing into a pre-facelift bumper. Damn...
James,
Yeah you have no other options unless you have M fogs... I used mine as high beams essentailly... And on highways at night... The glare is not as bad coming out of the fog light since it is so low... doing this in the low beams is disasterious...

Alex,
Are you going to try to fit these into an OEM M fog shell? I was thinking doing something like that too... Not crazy about how they look w/o the glass either...
Old 10-20-2006, 04:29 PM   #18
Alex323Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
James,
Yeah you have no other options unless you have M fogs... I used mine as high beams essentailly... And on highways at night... The glare is not as bad coming out of the fog light since it is so low... doing this in the low beams is disasterious...

Alex,
Are you going to try to fit these into an OEM M fog shell? I was thinking doing something like that too... Not crazy about how they look w/o the glass either...
Yep, that's exactly what I'm planning on doing. Cut the back off and fit in from the backside. My M-techs fogs aren't too new so it won't cost much if it doesn't work out for some reason. I really don't like the fronts at all. Very un-aerodynamic and busy for no reason.
Old 10-22-2006, 01:09 AM   #19
james2538

My Ride: Sold
I installed them today!

Love the look. Haven't gotten flashed driving around tonight, so far so good. The glare out of them isn't terrible but, the added light output is definitly worth it.
james2538 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 06:47 AM   #20
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by james2538 View Post
I installed them today!

Love the look. Haven't gotten flashed driving around tonight, so far so good. The glare out of them isn't terrible but, the added light output is definitly worth it.
Glad you like them.