E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 10-30-2006, 03:20 PM   #21
hoppa79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: golden state
Posts: 763
My Ride: needs more cowbell
do you think the retrofit would work for non-m bumpers if I got these:

BMW E46 SPORTS PACKAGE PROJECTOR FOG LIGHTS
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02...spagenameZWDVW
hoppa79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:03 PM   #22
sna77
OEM ///Member
 
sna77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 7,704
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppa79 View Post
do you think the retrofit would work for non-m bumpers if I got these:

BMW E46 SPORTS PACKAGE PROJECTOR FOG LIGHTS
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-02...spagenameZWDVW
those are the same fogs... sports package sedan uses //M bumpers.

Do you have rectangluar sedan fogs (preface) or the small round ones for facelift sedans? Or do you have a coupe?
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 04:50 PM   #23
hoppa79
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: golden state
Posts: 763
My Ride: needs more cowbell
i have a coupe which has round fogs. i just came back from taking a look at my car and i dont think they'll fit. the brackets to screw on my car are at the bottom of the fogs while the projector brackets are on the sides. oh wellz....great diy guide sna77. i would do this if i could~
hoppa79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:14 AM   #24
Parker Beach
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wellington, FL
Posts: 2
My Ride: 2000 328ci Coupe
Would this work for a 328ci coupe
http://www.kgsengineering.com/specd-...k-p-15460.html
Parker Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 10:58 AM   #25
sna77
OEM ///Member
 
sna77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 7,704
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Beach View Post
not unless you have an m-tech bumper
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:01 PM   #26
Alex323Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Huntington Beach -Surf City USA
Posts: 16,868
My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker Beach View Post
according from the picture those are M-tech/M3 foglights and won't work. Although the description says it would. find out to make sure they don't have the wrong picture up.
__________________
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAVI - BMWPERF CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC BRKLINES, TRANS, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 03:37 PM   #27
Valdez
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 53
My Ride: 328Ci
All of this DIY made total sence to me but what do u mean by "attach to your ballast" ? Do you mean the same ballast that powers ur lowbeams? Also is the screwed up light pattern on the wall because you are using stock m3 style fogs?
__________________
Valdez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:17 PM   #28
sna77
OEM ///Member
 
sna77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 7,704
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdez View Post
All of this DIY made total sence to me but what do u mean by "attach to your ballast" ? Do you mean the same ballast that powers ur lowbeams? Also is the screwed up light pattern on the wall because you are using stock m3 style fogs?


You cannot use the same ballast as your low beam. I'm using Prolumen ballasts / ignitors to power these.

The screwed up light pattern on the wall is an example of what happens when you put Xenon light into a halogen projector. Many people buy 9006 HID kits and replace the 9006 halogen lights in their fogs with those HID kits. The results are scattered light.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 04:59 PM   #29
Alex323Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Huntington Beach -Surf City USA
Posts: 16,868
My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
You cannot use the same ballast as your low beam. I'm using Prolumen ballasts / ignitors to power these.

The screwed up light pattern on the wall is an example of what happens when you put Xenon light into a halogen projector. Many people buy 9006 HID kits and replace the 9006 halogen lights in their fogs with those HID kits. The results are scattered light.
I think you meant to say "a non cut-off parbolic reflector lamp".
These projector fogs are infact fitted with a halogen bulb. As You and I both have done both. Xenon/HID systems are best when in a shielded projector lamp like these projectors for best overall lighting.
SNA77-I'm now wondering if I should have just bought the projector for a 9006 lamp like used in the E30 BMWs and fitted. It would have been used my existing 9006 bulb and larger projector.
__________________
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAVI - BMWPERF CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC BRKLINES, TRANS, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:53 PM   #30
sna77
OEM ///Member
 
sna77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 7,704
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
I think you meant to say "a non cut-off parbolic reflector lamp".
These projector fogs are infact fitted with a halogen bulb. As You and I both have done both. Xenon/HID systems are best when in a shielded projector lamp like these projectors for best overall lighting.
SNA77-I'm now wondering if I should have just bought the projector for a 9006 lamp like used in the E30 BMWs and fitted. It would have been used my existing 9006 bulb and larger projector.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci
I think you meant to say "a non cut-off parbolic reflector lamp".
yeah, thats what i meant..

how would you fit the e30 projector into the OEM fog?
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:54 PM   #31
Alex323Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Huntington Beach -Surf City USA
Posts: 16,868
My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Did it!
I have now put my projector fogs into the M-tech/M3 foglight housings. Looks much better IMHO. It really itsn't that hard to do. The ceramic reflector backing plates on the OEM M-tech fogs unclip(nothing to cut, two clips). There strangely is even two dots inside the fog housing exactly where you need to drill to mount the projector inside. You will need to take the projector foglight apart from the black mounting face. Other than the two holes, this method is completely reversable.
Only things needed are a 13/64th drill bit, (4x) metric bolts#138250 from Lowes, and 4x washers. This even can use the adjustment screw if you get those four washers.
I used four #M5-.80x20mm hex head bolts. But I think only 10mm length would be better as you don't want the bolt screwing too far inside the projector.
Basically the bolts go in from the outside of the M-tech to hold the projector in the center of the fog. I used some black primer on the bolts before so you couldn't see the metal in the housing. The backing plate remains off, which is fine. Now the projecotrs look like the headlamps inside the housing. More aerodynamic, keeps out more water, protects the projector "eye" from debris, and for someone like me with Hamann foglight covers..completes the flush look.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ProjMtech.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	203818  
__________________
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAVI - BMWPERF CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC BRKLINES, TRANS, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF

Last edited by Alex323Ci; 11-13-2006 at 09:15 PM.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:01 PM   #32
mach330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The OC
Posts: 922
My Ride: E90 AW ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
Did it!
I have now put my projector fogs into the M-tech/M3 foglight housings. Looks much better IMHO. It really itsn't that hard to do. The ceramic reflector backing plates on the OEM M-tech fogs unclip(nothing to cut, two clips). There strangely is even two dots inside the fog housing exactly where you need to drill to mount the projector inside. You will need to take the projector foglight apart from the black mounting face. Other than the two holes, this method is completely reversable.
Only things needed are a 13/64th drill bit, (4x) metric bolts#138250 from Lowes, and 4x washers. This even can use the adjustment screw if you get those four washers.
I used four #M5-.80x20mm hex head bolts. But I think only 10mm length would be better as you don't want the bolt screwing too far inside the projector.
Basically the bolts go in from the outside of the M-tech to hold the projector in the center of the fog. I used some black primer on the bolts before so you couldn't see the metal in the housing. The backing plate remains off, which is fine. Now the projecotrs look like the headlamps inside the housing. More aerodynamic, keeps out more water, protects the projector "eye" from debris, and for someone like me with Hamann foglight covers..completes the flush look.

do you have any pix of how you drilled it? i'm having a hard time picturing what you just described.
__________________
Rated /// M
mach330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:38 PM   #33
Alex323Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Huntington Beach -Surf City USA
Posts: 16,868
My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
do you have any pix of how you drilled it? i'm having a hard time picturing what you just described.
The projectors have two screws on the sides that hold it in place(1 each side). You need to drill two holes in the side of the Mtech fog to mount the projector inside the Mtech fog. It's about 10mm in from the OEM hole that clips the backing plate to it. The projector is about 1/2" smaller on both sides, so you need longer bolts to suspend it in the middle.
This is for the OEM M-tech foglights made by ZKW of Austria.
Picture on the left is of the backing taken off. If you look closely at the inside right of the housing, you can see a little scratch dent that is exactly where you need to drill. Picture on the right is where the new pilot hole needs to be drilled to put the M5 bolt through to mount to the projector. Don't screw it on to much or the plastic M-tech housing starts to bend in. One could use a nylon spacer, but it's not really needed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MTfogbacking.jpg
Views:	566
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	203833   Click image for larger version

Name:	fogdrillhole.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	135.3 KB
ID:	203834  
__________________
OE CSL WHEELS - OE CSL BRAKES - OE AUTOFLD MIRRORS - CSL TRUNK - CSL DIFFUSER - AA TUNE - AA PULLEYS - AS 40% SSK - BILSTEIN PSS9s
CF CSL LIP - NAVI - BMWPERF CF STRUT BAR - BMW GROUP N MNTS - GRUPPE M CF INTAKE - SUPERSPRINT - UUC BRKLINES, TRANS, RTABs - H&R SWAYS - 4.10 M-SPORT DIFF
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:47 PM   #34
sillieidiot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: the OC
Posts: 44,066
My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
ooh looks nice. did you do it with the projector fogs like the ones jlevi sells? does the glass distort the light in anyway?
__________________
I like to reply to threads with 0 posts




Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 11:37 PM   #35
mach330
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: The OC
Posts: 922
My Ride: E90 AW ///M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
The projectors have two screws on the sides that hold it in place(1 each side). You need to drill two holes in the side of the Mtech fog to mount the projector inside the Mtech fog. It's about 10mm in from the OEM hole that clips the backing plate to it. The projector is about 1/2" smaller on both sides, so you need longer bolts to suspend it in the middle.
This is for the OEM M-tech foglights made by ZKW of Austria.
Picture on the left is of the backing taken off. If you look closely at the inside right of the housing, you can see a little scratch dent that is exactly where you need to drill. Picture on the right is where the new pilot hole needs to be drilled to put the M5 bolt through to mount to the projector. Don't screw it on to much or the plastic M-tech housing starts to bend in. One could use a nylon spacer, but it's not really needed.
awesome...thank you.
__________________
Rated /// M
mach330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 03:15 PM   #36
sna77
OEM ///Member
 
sna77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: MA
Posts: 7,704
My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mach330 View Post
awesome...thank you.
Fantastic work Alex. Going to give this a try this weekend!
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:28 PM   #37
hypebmw
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: New York City
Posts: 134
My Ride: 02 330i
Send a message via AIM to hypebmw
awesome.
__________________
hypebmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 12:54 PM   #38
TRR330xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 154
My Ride: 2001 330xi
How were you able to get the fogs to line up? I know these are supposed to be fixed with no adjustability, but my lights don't line up right. Would it have something to do with the foglight housing?
TRR330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 02:21 PM   #39
Alex323Ci
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Huntington Beach -Surf City USA
Posts: 16,868
My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRR330xi View Post
How were you able to get the fogs to line up? I know these are supposed to be fixed with no adjustability, but my lights don't line up right. Would it have something to do with the foglight housing?
If you are talking about the retrofit in the m-tech, mine line up perfectly. The pattern is also perfectly level and matched. When you say line-up..do you mean in the center of the lens? I would guess it's the hole you made on the side. In that case, I'd elongate it. You need to tighten it down after you see it's level The adjustment knob from the old one I was able to remount with two washers on the inside end and then put the spring on and screw into the plastic. The two washers were able to slip into the holding arm and also use once again to adjust the rear level.
As for centering the projector eye, do not over tighten the bolts on the side as it'll put to much of the threads into the projector housing, pull the housing wall in, and lastly it probably won't center it.
This might sound confusing to read, but will make total sense when doing it hands-on.
*Anyone doing the retrofit, feel free to email me with questions. It's pretty easy stuff though.
Alex323Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 03:24 PM   #40
TRR330xi
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 154
My Ride: 2001 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex323Ci View Post
If you are talking about the retrofit in the m-tech, mine line up perfectly. The pattern is also perfectly level and matched. When you say line-up..do you mean in the center of the lens? I would guess it's the hole you made on the side. In that case, I'd elongate it. You need to tighten it down after you see it's level The adjustment knob from the old one I was able to remount with two washers on the inside end and then put the spring on and screw into the plastic. The two washers were able to slip into the holding arm and also use once again to adjust the rear level.
As for centering the projector eye, do not over tighten the bolts on the side as it'll put to much of the threads into the projector housing, pull the housing wall in, and lastly it probably won't center it.
This might sound confusing to read, but will make total sense when doing it hands-on.
*Anyone doing the retrofit, feel free to email me with questions. It's pretty easy stuff though.
I will have to send you PM with some pictures of what I am talking about. The cutoff is not level. However, before I replaced the stock fogs, the light projected evenly onto the road and once I made the change to the projectors, my right fog projects out higher than my left one, roughly 6" higher. Hopefully you can help me figure it out though PM.

Thanks.
TRR330xi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Censor is ON





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
(c) 1999 - 2011 performanceIX Inc - privacy policy - terms of use