E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 4.67 average. Display Modes
Old 09-27-2007, 08:39 PM   #41
///MACHINE

My Ride: is an immigrant
so if your using non HID bulbs in this projector setup what bulb would one buy? 9006?
Old 10-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #42
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by sardar View Post
so if your using non HID bulbs in this projector setup what bulb would one buy? 9006?
er, the first post mentions it comes with an H3.
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 01:06 AM   #43
Rotha

My Ride: N/A
Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
Judge for yourself... These are HID "kits" in halogen housings (for low beams, not fogs, but you get the point)

The Bad:

The Good:

LOL looks liek some crazy killer blob from halo 3 or something

Rotha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2007, 11:23 AM   #44
CJPatel

My Ride: E92 335, F430 Spider
Hey guys, good idea I did my own version of this mod on my E46 M3. I bought two projector lenses off someone who parted their M3 out, and purchased E39 M5 Fog lamp housings. I installed the Lenses from the headlights into the fog lamp housings, wired up my HIDs. Looks great I have a 4500k HID set up.

DD -
2009 E92 335i M-Sport 6spd - JB4, ZCPs, M3 Lip Spoiler
Weekend -
Ferrari F430 Spider - F1

Gone: 2008 Aston Martin V8 Vantage, Stratus White/Bitter Chocolate, coupe w/ Aston Martin Powerpack and Quicksilver exhaust
Gone: 2003.5 Mystic Blue M3 6spd :(
CJPatel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:10 AM   #45
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJPatel View Post
Hey guys, good idea I did my own version of this mod on my E46 M3. I bought two projector lenses off someone who parted their M3 out, and purchased E39 M5 Fog lamp housings. I installed the Lenses from the headlights into the fog lamp housings, wired up my HIDs. Looks great I have a 4500k HID set up.

M5 fog lights are trhe exact smae part # as the e46 M3 part ones... You were able fit e46 projectors into the fogs??? how? The projectors are too big i thought?!
Old 10-27-2007, 06:00 PM   #46
sillieidiot

My Ride: '06 AW 330ci
Send a message via AIM to sillieidiot
no they fit. you can use tsx projectors as well. i'm in the process of doing that cause these projectors suck

Have a lighting problem? Read this first:
Lighting-related Troubleshooting Guide
sillieidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:57 PM   #47
hohowan

My Ride: '04 330ci ZHP
Quote:
Originally Posted by photogenic View Post
LOL looks liek some crazy killer blob from halo 3 or something
I don't remember a "killer blob", unless your talking about the exploding carrier flood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillieidiot View Post
no they fit. you can use tsx projectors as well. i'm in the process of doing that cause these projectors suck
Suck how...apperance or performance? Post a pic when you're done.

Have you guys seen these chrome projectors on eBay? I was thinking that these will retain the OEM reflector look after retrofitting these into the OEM housings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/E46-3...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by hohowan; 11-11-2007 at 06:59 PM. Reason: Adding more info.
hohowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 01:35 AM   #48
sillieidiot

performance. appearance looks great. but then maybe cause i'm a lighting freak or something.

check my sig for appearance, color is slightly off due to ps and angle.

Old 03-22-2008, 05:28 AM   #49
J LAU

My Ride: 325i
Thank you sna77!!
I had the same concern, and you solved my problem!
Great thread!!!!!
J LAU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 02:45 AM   #50
kcalhoun27

My Ride: is red inside
so i read the whole thread and i guess i just dont understand where the ballasts come from. i want to do the original mod because it looks freakin amazing. i have sourced the projectors and i can get the bulbs but where do the ballasts come in?
kcalhoun27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2008, 03:04 AM   #51
sillieidiot

then are mounted on your car, and the connectors go to the bulb.

Old 04-01-2008, 10:07 AM   #52
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcalhoun27 View Post
so i read the whole thread and i guess i just dont understand where the ballasts come from. i want to do the original mod because it looks freakin amazing. i have sourced the projectors and i can get the bulbs but where do the ballasts come in?

you buy your own... I bought a set of Xtech ballasts (9006 connectors) and stuck them to the inside of the bumper with double sided tape....
Old 04-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #53
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcalhoun27 View Post
real HID bulbs need a ballast. so if you buy a kit with the H3 bulbs you can hook up in the projector fog. then as others stated, just mount the ballast inside the bumper or ontop of the brake ducting.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:49 PM   #54
kcalhoun27

My Ride: is red inside
sweet, this forum rocks. thanks for the help
kcalhoun27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 06:41 AM   #55
donileo

My Ride: BMW 335i
i have yet to try fitting the 9006 hids in these projectors

but what makes the 9006 hids different then the H3 Hids that will not allow them to fit inside these ebay projectors?
donileo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 02:57 PM   #56
sillieidiot

the size and shape of the base. so if you wanted to make the 9006 bulbs work. just dremel the base until it looks like an h3 bulb.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:14 AM   #57
kkeddy

sorry to revive this question, in the original post, it says that projector fog that was bought off ebay was a projector fog for the M3 bumper. would the exact same projector foglight fit in the Mtech2 bumper for the sedans?

that means the M3 foglights and the mtech2 fog lights are actually the same size and shape, but one projector and one not right? which means they are interchangable correct?

thanks!
2001 m3
kkeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 01:25 AM   #58
Alex323Ci

My Ride: M3 & 323Ci (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkeddy View Post
sorry to revive this question, in the original post, it says that projector fog that was bought off ebay was a projector fog for the M3 bumper. would the exact same projector foglight fit in the Mtech2 bumper for the sedans?

that means the M3 foglights and the mtech2 fog lights are actually the same size and shape, but one projector and one not right? which means they are interchangable correct?

thanks!
yes. the only thing that doesn't swap is the oem M3 and the oem m-tech foglight/duct covers.
Old 03-28-2010, 01:40 AM   #59
kkeddy

thanks for the super quick reply this time of the night !

i ordered my mtech2 from ddm..

im thinking of ordering the projector fog housing + the 55w 8000k hid and fit it in..

the bumper comes with foglights using 9006. but with the projectors im gonna be using h3, so im deciding what to do

anyone have pics of projector fog vs reflector fogs , both hid?
2001 m3
kkeddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:01 AM   #60
aar0n_91

My Ride: 05 BMW325CI///MSport
^^^^^^^^^^ very keen to see those pics as im wondering if i should go projector or put HID's in reflector fogs. i currently have HID in my projector lows, they look amasing, and i want alot of light for my 20km stretch through pitch black. i was thinking that since reflectors scatter light everywhere it would light up the road more??

they would only be used here and there are barely any other cars so no one saw about blinding oncoming cars. and also, i heard that the glare from HID in reflector fogs isnt that bad because of its lower position

BMW 325 CI ///M-SPORT INDIVIDUAL
aar0n_91 is offline   Reply With Quote