E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-13-2005, 11:49 PM   #1
driftinsequence

My Ride: waiting to be modded
Send a message via AIM to driftinsequence
DDE problem

i have the jlevi predator chromiums for my 330i. i installed them with a switch and stuff, fun fun. it all works great, however, i noticed today, that one of the halos were a tad tad dimmer. Not by much but sorta noticable when you look at it. When i opened the hood, my dad, whom was standing away and looking at the light said that the light jumped back brighter and back to normal.

could this have been a bad connection? I have all my wires wrapped in electrical tape to basically water proof it. I really don't want to take it off but if i have to i will. The single halo is still currently a tad tad dimmer, not too too noticable but you can still see it. Has this happened to anybody? or what else could be the case?
driftinsequence is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:03 AM   #2
kpeng
Banned User

My Ride: E46 330 and E30 325
It could be a few things. I'd start off by making sure your ground and your positive connections are on properly.

-Ken
kpeng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 12:10 AM   #3
BimmerJustin
I SHOP @ TURNER MOTORSPORT

My Ride: 02325CI,03MIN,06VW
It's not a ground problem if only one halo is dimmed. It's from the box forward. A halo will either work or not work. There is no in between. It could be the output from one side of the circuitry in the box. OR.....I could be 99% correct in telling you that the pins in the connector to the halo are touching. Arching to each other and providing less voltage to the halo. I had the same problem a couple of times and just had to re-seat the pins and connector. You should fix it A.S.A.P. before something happens. Anything arching (even something small) in the engine bay is not a good thing.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:41 AM   #4
driftinsequence

i do not think any wires are touching because i individually wrapped each set with electrical tape to prevent such a thing from happening. i will double check in the light though. this is kinda scaring me b/c i hate problems.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:52 AM   #5
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
its just a loose connection man. just unwrap the wires and put male and female connectors. or in worst case - just rewrap the individual wires tighter.

co-founder of
euro techniks

NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 02:01 AM   #6
driftinsequence

you think so, i will do that tomorrow when there is light. i hope that is the problem. but why would a bad connection show a very faint but noticable dim light? i mean, if the connection was bad, it would be much dimmer, or flash on and off, or not even turn on! maybe this is just a quick sign of a bad connection. i will try to fix this tomorrow and post to see if it was the problem. thanks for your guys help.

ps> my dad thinks that the bulbs need time to warm up so that they would fully match. i did not think so since they were all cold from the start and they were all turned on evenly at the same time. though i did not leave it on for long, i do not think this was the problem.
Old 08-14-2005, 02:30 AM   #7
BimmerJustin
I SHOP @ TURNER MOTORSPORT

My Ride: 02325CI,03MIN,06VW
The HID rings do need a couple seconds to warm up. 1 of 4 rings will be dim for the first minute but after that you have a problem. My connectors are heatshrunk down to hold them and the ends are RTV'd to prevent water intrusion. BUT I STILL HAD A PROBLEM. The connectors are not that great of quality. Hope that helps.
Old 08-14-2005, 05:53 AM   #8
Evil330

My Ride: 03 330i
my halo dimmed and then went off completely
Evil330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 09:31 AM   #9
NorthJersey 3er

My Ride: '03 M3 / '72 2002tii
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftinsequence
you think so, i will do that tomorrow when there is light. i hope that is the problem. but why would a bad connection show a very faint but noticable dim light? i mean, if the connection was bad, it would be much dimmer, or flash on and off, or not even turn on! maybe this is just a quick sign of a bad connection. i will try to fix this tomorrow and post to see if it was the problem. thanks for your guys help.

ps> my dad thinks that the bulbs need time to warm up so that they would fully match. i did not think so since they were all cold from the start and they were all turned on evenly at the same time. though i did not leave it on for long, i do not think this was the problem.

that could be, but if 1 out of the 4 is dim after awhile, not just at start up, it has everything to do with the wiring coming from the ballast, trust me i've seen it before

co-founder of
euro techniks

NorthJersey 3er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2005, 11:35 AM   #10
driftinsequence

thanks, ill tell you guys what is the outcome tomorrow afternoon
Old 09-11-2006, 12:41 AM   #11
Bowser330

My Ride: 2004 330ci
dude i know this was from awhile back but both of my halos ont he passenger side are dim and im thinking it could be the wiriing and pins, did you ever get it figured out?
Bowser330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2006, 01:20 AM   #12
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
As I mentioned before, swap your ballasts. You have to find the ROOT of the problem which I am betting is either a ballast or connections issue. Since the ballast is easy to diagnose, start there.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote