E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-16-2011, 08:06 PM   #21
dmax

My Ride: '99 328i 1.04646 mu
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeEmmDoubleU View Post
bringing this thread back to life.

i feel the thump as my auto tranny downshifts ; bushings bad or DIFF is qoinq ? need help asap
My rear diff bushing was bad and I had a noticeable clunk into 1st or Reverse in my manual...and I think your clunk might be something similar...hope so...much easier than diff or trans!

I suppose it could also be csb...I did that too, along with guibo. The bushing is visible and you might notice it squished or noticeable bad otherwise.

And, of course, inspect things...there are other things that clunk...like subframe issues...but no need to go there quite yet...not before an inspection anyway!

Doug

Performing at the Comedy Cove--595 Morris Ave. Springfield NJ reservations 973 376-3840

A recent set Skip to 1:30
dmax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 08:33 PM   #22
rfier

My Ride: 99 BMW 323i E46
i had that too ended up with a new rear diff bushing.... but get your subframe checked

BMW 99 323i e46: EE Halo Lights, Custom Pipe Style CAI, White Corner & Side Lights, Flat Black Grilles, Short Shift Kit, Aluminum Pedals
Coming Soon: H&R Sport Cup Kit, M3 Front Bumper, MTech Rear Bumper, GTR Style Hood, E-bay Headers, Rear LEDs, 18s, Magnaflow Muffler, BMW E46 330i M54 3.0L Engine
rfier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 11:45 AM   #23
03BIMMERM3

My Ride: 2003 BMW M3
Not sure if you already checked, but I had a loud metal clank in my rear as well, check ur rear springs/shocks, might be broken or blown

Sent from my myTouch_4G_Slide using Bimmer App
03BIMMERM3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #24
SilverMayn

My Ride: E46 328Ci
Don't want to scare you but since you drive a 323/328 you prolly have the same issue I did. My whole rear end was ripping apart from the chassis....good thing I can weld...
all 4 mounting points for the rear subrame were tearing the sheet metal..

Hair line crank under rear seat

This Mounting point fell completely out when i jacked the car up
SilverMayn is offline   Reply With Quote