E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2006, 10:28 AM   #1
sladha

My Ride: 330ci|ActiveHybrid7
getting back to it..

so i took off a month from the gym (no particular reason, just got busy- wish i didn't). anyway, i've definitely noticed a drop in muscle definition / size. so here's my q: i'm getting back into it tonight.. .do i try to pick up where i left off (same weights) and do less reps/sets? or is it better to start at a considerably lower weight and maintain the same # of sets/reps i was doing at a higher weight?
Old 09-15-2006, 11:49 AM   #2
bimmerchop

My Ride: spins 4
Send a message via AIM to bimmerchop
Do a tad bit lighter weight. You don't want to jump into lifting something you lifted before b/c you're obviously not as strong and you could potentially hurt yourself bad if you attempt too heavy of a weight. Don't worry, you'll gain the strength back quick

"A turbo: exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster." - Jeremy Clarkson

euro.techniks

EPL | TiAL | SDR | APR | Stratmosphere | 034 | ASP | SPEC | Fidanza | STaSIS | H-Sport | AWE | H&R | StopTech | BBS
bimmerchop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:15 PM   #3
tK715

My Ride: MUNI
Send a message via AIM to tK715
Yeah, I would start lower and work your way back up. I've done this before as well...I stopped training for almost 2 months, then started up again with lower weights, and worked my way back up. In about a week or two I was lifting the same as I did before.
tK715 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:54 PM   #4
jaewonder

My Ride: 13 Cooper S
haha I just started again yesterday after a 2 month break and boy was it hard. I'd struggle with lighter weights. But I did miss the feeling of being sore as hell the next day. Goodluck!
Old 09-15-2006, 04:08 PM   #5
sladha

My Ride: 330ci|ActiveHybrid7
yeah, hate when this happens. i get such a pump going to the gym knowing i'm making progress.. starting back at a lower weight just kills that feeling
but... the soreness is a +
sL
Old 09-15-2006, 09:01 PM   #6
TX330ci
TX Dinan 3

My Ride: women
what i do is less reps more weight if i am trying to bulk and lighter weights with more reps when cutting. since you have had some time off make sure you stretch more than normal and really focus on your form and not cheat to try and lift the weight you were doing before your break. its easy to cheat on your form trying to throw more weight up because you get pissed at yourself for slacking and struggling with lighter weight, but an injury isn't worth it. if i ever miss, which doesnt happen that much anymore i try to do light cardio at first, like 10 minutes worth to get the blood flowing then stretch before and after each set or do a light weight warm up set before the actual set to get the range of motion. might be overkill but i dont want to throw an injury from bad form

Dzoccu nun ti appreni, nun dir né mali né beni

TX330ci is offline   Reply With Quote