E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-17-2006, 03:02 PM   #1
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Finally finished with custom in dash LCD screen. Pics!

Some of you may have seen a bunch of posts I've had trying to get this right... As a quick background, I have an Alpine NVE-N872A navigation system. The system is amazing, and connects to a touch screen TME-M770 6.5" LCD screen. I also have an Alpine DVD player connected to it.

The tricky part, was making a custom bracket that I was happy with. I wanted the screen to be flush mount, and wanted it to look as OEM as possible. Finally, after 2 attempts that I was not happy with, I turned to a pro shop to do the install for me. The guys at Sound-in-Motion, in Allston, MA did an amazing custom install for me (www.sound-in-motion.com). The owner, Derek Kenney is one of the top installers in the country, and I decided that my happiness with the screen was worth the price... ($70/hour labor).

Anyhow, here are a few pics of the final result. BTW, I saved them some time by purchasing a BMW OEM Accessory Nav bracket and extras DSC button for them. I basically dropped off the bracket and button, and they got to work on custom building the screen. Its made of ABS plastic btw.

Anyhow, on to the pictures...

The back of the screen:

Front of the screen:

Screen installed and screwed in. Notice that the bracket has screw holes to secure the mount.

Here you can see the screen fits perfectly with the trim around the shift knob installed. The foam fits snug under, and the screen does not move at all

View from the right. Notice how they have the screen angled downwards. This prevents glare, and the viewing angle is great still. It is easy to use the controls while driving, and the screen can be seen in bright daylight too

Another pic.. Notice how they kept the OEM look of the DSC button:
sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-17-2006, 03:06 PM   #2
sna77
OEM ///Member

BTW,
Some more pics of the previous install to see where this has come from.

First off, BMW Accessory NAV bracket... This was used for the screw hole alightments... OEM Part #: 51-18-0-015-949. $135 from Crevier BMW.

Attempt #1, done by a different install shop in Burlington, MA. I hated this and immediatley ripped it out...

Attempt # 2, done by the aforemention shop in Burlington... Looked better, cleaner. But still not happy with it. Most people would be OK with this... I'm way too anal...

Anyhow, I'm finally happy with it... I just wish I knew that Sound-in-Motion existed in the first place...
Old 09-17-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
02bimmer325i

My Ride: 2002 325i
Looks sick.

Do you know how the shop binded the pieces of ABS together?

Centered Install - Pics & DIY: HERE
02bimmer325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02bimmer325i View Post
Looks sick.

Do you know how the shop binded the pieces of ABS together?
nope, but I'll ask them when I stop back in next week... A few of the members who are installers here might know...
Old 09-17-2006, 04:12 PM   #5
BigT330Ci

My Ride: 2012 Toyota Prius
Send a message via AIM to BigT330Ci Send a message via Yahoo to BigT330Ci
It was most likely held together by CA glue (two part hobby glue).

Derek and all the guys at SIM are the BEST with fabrication, and even more so when dealing with plastics. Everytime I see their work I am once again floored! Great guys and great installers. Just goes to show how you get what you pay for -- how many hours did the bill you by the way?
BigT330Ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:15 PM   #6
bmwstephen

My Ride: e46 325xi, e30 325is
Send a message via AIM to bmwstephen
Freggin Clleannn!!!
bmwstephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 04:46 PM   #7
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT330Ci View Post

Derek and all the guys at SIM are the BEST with fabrication, and even more so when dealing with plastics. Everytime I see their work I am once again floored! Great guys and great installers. Just goes to show how you get what you pay for -- how many hours did the bill you by the way?

20... I offset the cost by selling my old setup on ebay... It worked great, it just wasn't for me... so that knocked about $700 off the install. I just wished I'd known about them about 6 months ago...

But you're right, great guys there, and I was floored by their work... They had some Caddy in there that had all these custom screens and consoles built etc. Amazing stuff. My gf was actually impressed, which helped ease the shock when I told her the total price tag.. ha..

You're from NJ btw and are familiar with them?
Old 09-17-2006, 07:36 PM   #8
LeftCoastBias

My Ride: alpine white hotness
WOW that looks great.

WORLDS APART from the other installs.

LeftCoastBias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 09:37 PM   #9
02bimmer325i

My Ride: 2002 325i
Quote:

Thanks.

Mike

Centered Install - Pics & DIY: HERE
02bimmer325i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2006, 10:23 PM   #10
Two Outtakes

My Ride: is on 20" DPE's
looking good

RETIRED EP Sedan
Two Outtakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 06:43 AM   #11
Lay2Low

My Ride: Psshht Widebody; M3
Send a message via AIM to Lay2Low
That is the best install I have seen down there!
Old 09-18-2006, 04:25 PM   #12
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lay2Low View Post
That is the best install I have seen down there!
Thanks! I'm really happy with it
Old 09-18-2006, 04:41 PM   #13
Timsta

My Ride: 09 E63 M6 SB
Send a message via ICQ to Timsta Send a message via AIM to Timsta Send a message via MSN to Timsta Send a message via Yahoo to Timsta
that looks really good!
Timsta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:44 AM   #14
Technic

My Ride: '12 M3 & '10 CC
It was about time that an aftermarket installation of a screen in a E46 looked perfect in these forums, IMO... congratulations!!!
Technic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:20 PM   #15
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
It was about time that an aftermarket installation of a screen in a E46 looked perfect in these forums, IMO... congratulations!!!
Ha, it should for the price I paid.. But thamks, I agree, they did a sick job. I evebn made sure they didn't reattach the word "alpine" so that it would oem... Also, after having driven areound with it for a few days, the angle of this (compared to my old one) is 1000x better... No more glare while driving in sunlighte, etc.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:22 PM   #16
LAFENGAS
www.thielstudios.com

My Ride: 330ci
Send a message via AIM to LAFENGAS
Look good! I'm glad you were able to finally get something you were happy with. It's hard finding places that do quality work, which is one of the reasons i only trust myself for the work on my car.

LAFENGAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:39 PM   #17
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAFENGAS View Post
Look good! I'm glad you were able to finally get something you were happy with. It's hard finding places that do quality work, which is one of the reasons i only trust myself for the work on my car.

I wish I was that talented to work like that...
Old 09-22-2006, 09:35 AM   #18
BigT330Ci

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77 View Post
20... I offset the cost by selling my old setup on ebay... It worked great, it just wasn't for me... so that knocked about $700 off the install. I just wished I'd known about them about 6 months ago...

But you're right, great guys there, and I was floored by their work... They had some Caddy in there that had all these custom screens and consoles built etc. Amazing stuff. My gf was actually impressed, which helped ease the shock when I told her the total price tag.. ha..

You're from NJ btw and are familiar with them?

This just shows, again, you get what you pay for. They are not cheap but....your happy and everyone agrees it looks PERFECT, correct?

I have been in the audio/aftermarket business all my life....if your anyone you know SIM. You lucky to be in Boston -- some of the best installers reside there. SIM, Rich's Car Tunes, Custom Auto Radio -- some really talented and professional guys up there. Did you see the SIM X5 from a few years ago on their website? I have seen that car in person....one of the cleanest, most functional installs I have ever seen using that much equiptment. Glad you love it!
Old 09-22-2006, 01:20 PM   #19
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
This just shows, again, you get what you pay for. They are not cheap but....your happy and everyone agrees it looks PERFECT, correct?

I have been in the audio/aftermarket business all my life....if your anyone you know SIM. You lucky to be in Boston -- some of the best installers reside there. SIM, Rich's Car Tunes, Custom Auto Radio -- some really talented and professional guys up there. Did you see the SIM X5 from a few years ago on their website? I have seen that car in person....one of the cleanest, most functional installs I have ever seen using that much equiptment. Glad you love it!
I saw the X5 on their website... They have some really cool stuff there.. Manny Ramirez's Escalade was in while I was there, and someone else with a 330i was having a similar screen designed for a car computer (using that same OEM bracket)... Amazing to see such high quality work up close...
Old 09-22-2006, 01:47 PM   #20
BigT330Ci

Have you done anything else on the audio side? How did you get hooked up with SIM anyway?