E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Everything Else > The Off-Topic > Health & Fitness

Health & Fitness
Discuss any topics related to heath and fitness here.

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-19-2006, 04:40 AM   #1
JamesH81

My Ride: Mondeo
Sushi - good or bad?

i had some sushi for lunch yesterday and i loved it, never really tried it before. my question is how good or bad is it for you. ok it contains fish and certain vegetables but is there also a high fat content that is being hidden behind all the good stuff? something that tastes that good can't be that good for your health either i wouldn't have thought?!?!

just wanted your opinions cos i think i could eat sushi most lunchtimes tbh but not if it's doing me bad inside
JamesH81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 08:46 AM   #2
kmorris_330

My Ride: Porsche 996
Send a message via AIM to kmorris_330
I read in a health mag once that sushi is the ideal body building food as raw fish is high in creatine, high in protein, and low in (saturated) fat. Obviously the nutrition facts vary with each piece but as a whole I think sushi is good for you.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:52 AM   #3
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
just stick the ones with good lean fish.
Rolls with tons of that white sauce and/or deep fried shrimp/soft shell crabs negate all the healhty sutff with it.

I get a sashimi plate with a bowl of rice and I'm done. Low cal, high protein and fiber

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:39 AM   #4
Robbyrh10

My Ride: 2006 530/M-Tech
Sushi, can be a great addition to any diet. However, it really matters what you order and how much you consume. If you are on a "clean" diet, then you are gonna go with sashimi or some sort of roll that isnt made with mayo in the mix. The white rice should be consumed somewhere around your post workout due to the insulin spike. If you are bulking, then by all means have a roll of two but still look to avoid the mayo mix, sugary sauces etc.... Sushi happens to be my favorite cheat meal, because when i get sushi i go all out.

Oh, and i believe meat contains creatine, not fish. I could be wrong though
Old 09-19-2006, 01:04 PM   #5
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
I read an interview a few years back that said Jay Cutler (2nd place finisher at the Mr. Olympia) spends $500+ on sushi PER WEEK. Granted he lives in Las Vegas and it's probably more expensive than here in St. Louis, but that's still a lot of sushi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 01:35 PM   #6
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
Definitely stick with the simpler rolls/meals- sashimi, nigiri etc...The more complex mayo filled concoctions are just as bad as most fast food meals.

Also make sure to control your quantity, it's easy to go overboard with sushi.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 02:22 PM   #7
JamesH81

thanks for the replies fellas.
i had 4 different rolls: all contents are wrapped in 'californian roll' (white rice). but the fish are tuna, salmon, prawns and i'm not quite sure what the other one contained but they're so tasty. i just put a little soy sauce on them and bob's your uncle! no mayo i any of them. i think they're a pretty healthy lunch option. better than sandwiches anyway.
Old 09-19-2006, 02:51 PM   #8
M3bluewater

My Ride: 95 M3
Send a message via AIM to M3bluewater
has anyone gone to a place that has sushi with brown rice, if so, that is probably the best for you.
M3bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:02 PM   #9
Robbyrh10

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH81 View Post
thanks for the replies fellas.
i had 4 different rolls: all contents are wrapped in 'californian roll' (white rice). but the fish are tuna, salmon, prawns and i'm not quite sure what the other one contained but they're so tasty. i just put a little soy sauce on them and bob's your uncle! no mayo i any of them. i think they're a pretty healthy lunch option. better than sandwiches anyway.

Unfortunately most california rolls have mayo in the crab meat that is in them. YOu might wanna note that 1 roll is about 350-400 cals. YOu just kinda went overboard eating 4 whole rolls in one sitting. Unless you are bulking or having a cheat meal. Oh, and you can make sandwiches extremely healthy just so you know
Old 09-19-2006, 03:04 PM   #10
Robbyrh10

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3bluewater View Post
has anyone gone to a place that has sushi with brown rice, if so, that is probably the best for you.
Yes sir! I have a place that i go to that serves brown rice if you ask. Brown rice, though containing a lil more fiber and a lower GI, is still calorie dense when it comes to sushi rolls. One roll has about a cup of rice, which is somewhat a lot considering one roll doesnt fill me up at all
Old 09-19-2006, 03:20 PM   #11
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3bluewater View Post
at this very moment, about a thousand sushi chefs are rolling in their graves at the sight of brown rice sushi

while there are places that serve it, the texture of sushi rice is hard to duplicate with brown rice. To many, it's not worth it. Just exercise an extra 10 mins a day

Like a said, a plate of sashimi plus a bowl of rice is good for about 40 g protein and < 500 cals. **** and chinese eat steamed white rice all the time and they are no where as obese as us americans.

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:33 PM   #12
JamesH81

Quote:
Originally Posted by James330I View Post
Like a said, a plate of sashimi plus a bowl of rice is good for about 40 g protein and < 500 cals. **** and chinese eat steamed white rice all the time and they are no where as obese as us americans.
that's the reason why it has to be more good than bad for your health.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:44 PM   #13
dwass325

My Ride: CTA
Send a message via AIM to dwass325
In studies, simply being in average shape is more related to level of activity than diet. That is, it's easier to be in "decent" shape by having an active lifestyle than a strict diet.

And yeah... I love brown rice, but not in sushi. That sounds bad. At a sushi place is the only time I eat white rice, so I think I'll be okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacques chirac View Post
I don't see what is ridiculous by robbing with a sword.A sword in one od the most lethal wepon !!!

It's more easy to kill with a sword than with a gun.

A sword is more frightening than toy-looking gun like glock.

robbing with a sword is a good thing
dwass325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 03:50 PM   #14
ultra-violence
-The Wristwatch Pimp-

My Ride: E46 323i
Nutritionally it may be ok, but the worms you can get from eating uncooked meat may not be so great
ultra-violence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:03 AM   #15
TX330ci
TX Dinan 3

My Ride: women
i eat 4-6 rolls each time i go and can see spending 500 like cutler quite easily when some rolls i get are 10-15 each roll. if i am on a date its easy to drop cash for myself and a girl on sushi, but its just so damned good

Dzoccu nun ti appreni, nun dir né mali né beni

TX330ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 09:57 AM   #16
Robbyrh10

Thumbs Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX330ci View Post
i eat 4-6 rolls each time i go and can see spending 500 like cutler quite easily when some rolls i get are 10-15 each roll. if i am on a date its easy to drop cash for myself and a girl on sushi, but its just so damned good

Yea, sushi takes its toll on my wallet. When my GF and i go out for sushi on our cheat meal nights, i end up spending at least 70$ without drinks. And thats with my frequent visitor hookup that i get

Definately worth it
Old 09-20-2006, 10:43 AM   #17
JamesH81

for many dishes/servings are you getting for $70?
average cost in the uk is around ***163;3 ($5.25 ish) per serving at YO! Sushi
Old 09-20-2006, 12:26 PM   #18
Robbyrh10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesH81 View Post
for many dishes/servings are you getting for $70?
average cost in the uk is around ***163;3 ($5.25 ish) per serving at YO! Sushi
We usually get 5 different rolls chief. Exotic rolls go anywhere from 8-13$ here. Thats how it goes down
Old 09-23-2006, 08:52 PM   #19
TX330ci
TX Dinan 3

My Ride: women
sounds like pricing here at my place

Dzoccu nun ti appreni, nun dir né mali né beni

TX330ci is offline   Reply With Quote