E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-20-2006, 12:23 AM   #21
330cibimmer

My Ride: Sold 330Ci, EVO 8
and do u believe it would be a good idea to get a differential for my car after or b4 the s/c or not at all when i have a s/c? im thinkin of the 3.64
330cibimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 12:53 AM   #22
mfanatic325

My Ride: Z4MC, 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to mfanatic325
I dun think you can just turn it up or down as you wish...it has to be the whole thing together, including software, etc...and I saw in a different thread that differential will only give you about 5% gain...not worth it for the money in my opinion...3.46 for step is already good enough (it's just that the step is slushy slow in shifts <=[ ) dang you seem to have a lot of money LoL
VF570 S/C|TIAL BOV|SetRabCooler|Brembo GT 6/4|TE37s|NT05s|3.91 Gearing|TCK D/A|RPi Induction|SS Race Mufflers/X-pipe|JVT Headers|AS SSK|VibraTechnics Mounts|Sparco Pro2000/6pt.Harness|MS FloorMounts|SE Custom Harness Bar|Tekarbon Angels|M-Tech Pedals|OE Strut Bar|RE RSMs|8000K D2S|CDV DEL|CF Roof Wrap|MB Grills|UUC TrannyMounts/ClutchStop|V1 Mount|P3C Gauge

mfanatic325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 01:41 AM   #23
Shinobi
Addicted to Autocross

My Ride: 2001 Jet Black 330Ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330cibimmer View Post
so yea if i daily drive with low boost like 4 or 5 im fine, and then i just turn it up for track use or wutever, to like 7 sometimes, i should be fine rite?
Yea, you can't just change the boost when you want to. You have to swap pullies, and even then it might require some tuning and adjusting.

Quote:
and do u believe it would be a good idea to get a differential for my car after or b4 the s/c or not at all when i have a s/c? im thinkin of the 3.64
Give and Take. Whatever performance mode you put in, this will be true. You have to understand what you're going to get vs. what you have to sacrifice. Changing diffs to a shorter ratio will give you more torque to the wheels and better acceleration, but will result in higher RPMs in all gears, more shifting, and lower top-end speed. Depending on what you start with, it may or may not be worth it. In your case, you have a 3.38 open diff to begin with and so you could go with a 3.46, a 3.64, or a 3.73. That'a a 2%, 8% and 10% respectively. Ah, but then if you get too aggressive, you'll find that you can't get to 60mph in 2nd gear, which means an extra shift, and consequently a SLOWER 0-60 because of it.

This is from personal experience...I have an 01 330Ci Steptronic. Its supercharged @6.5psi, and I did swap in a 3.64 limited-slip differential. My rpms are up about 500 in every gear, and my top speed in 1st and 2nd have been reduced, but I can still get to 60+ in 2nd. HOWEVER, even though for me, this is about an extra 20ft/lbs of torque to the wheels, I have NOT yet determined that it actually helped, and this was NOT a cheap mod. IF I can get my car fixed before the weekend, I hope to take it out to the drag strip for official 1/4 mile times. Then I'll have some data to better report. Thumbs up to the S/C , but the jury is out on the diff swap .

Shinobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 02:25 AM   #24
interisti

My Ride: BMW
I have a step 325i as well. I was thinking to supercharge it, but it is NOT worth it.

Let me tell you my reason.
You supercharge a step 325i, you can get low 6 second 0-60 time with a voided warranty. You spend about 6-7 grands.
For the same money, upgrade your 325 to manual 330 ZHP. You still get low 6second 0-60 time AND you still have a full warranty.

I would say upgrade your car to manual 330 ZHP
interisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:31 AM   #25
faded67

My Ride: 2004 330CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermachina View Post
It will get you past 225bhp if you supercharge a 325...more like 280 at 6.5psi...and the AA SC at 8psi (many on here have run this with a step for years) will bring it up to 310bhp.

I am running 8 psi on a step with no tranny issues at all. However, SC's do require more care and feeding. Little "issues" seem to pop up here and there which may not have if you left all well and good. For me the gains outweigh these small annoyances.

BLACK BIMMER
faded67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 08:32 AM   #26
laurentiucantar

My Ride: BMW 330ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by interisti View Post
I have a step 325i as well. I was thinking to supercharge it, but it is NOT worth it.

You supercharge a step 325i, you can get low 6 second 0-60 time with a voided warranty. You spend about 6-7 grands.
For the same money, upgrade your 325 to manual 330 ZHP. You still get low 6second 0-60 time AND you still have a full warranty.

is it possible to change the step geabox with a manual ?i have a 330ci step.if it is possible i will do it?
laurentiucantar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 11:45 AM   #27
mfanatic325

Quote:
Originally Posted by interisti View Post

ummmm...how exactly would one upgrade from 325 to 330 with $6-7K??? even if I were to have traded-in my car say 10 seconds after I left the lot on the day I took delivery, they would knock down the re-buy price of my car to like...$30K...which means I already lost about $6-7K (don't quote me on this, I'm juss trying to prove a point in that you already lose money off of trade-in)...basically, what I mean is that for people that already currently have a car, I don't think upgrading to 330 is very likely <=[ ...or maybe it's just me? I'm poor as fock T_T
Quote:
Originally Posted by laurentiucantar View Post
is it possible to change the step geabox with a manual ?i have a 330ci step.if it is possible i will do it?
yeah, it's possible...I've read on older threads of it being done, but from what I remember, it requires a lot of time, work (labor), and money I for one LOVE clutchless manual...and if I had money, I'd try to upgrade to SSG or SMG
VF570 S/C|TIAL BOV|SetRabCooler|Brembo GT 6/4|TE37s|NT05s|3.91 Gearing|TCK D/A|RPi Induction|SS Race Mufflers/X-pipe|JVT Headers|AS SSK|VibraTechnics Mounts|Sparco Pro2000/6pt.Harness|MS FloorMounts|SE Custom Harness Bar|Tekarbon Angels|M-Tech Pedals|OE Strut Bar|RE RSMs|8000K D2S|CDV DEL|CF Roof Wrap|MB Grills|UUC TrannyMounts/ClutchStop|V1 Mount|P3C Gauge

Last edited by mfanatic325; 09-20-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old 09-20-2006, 01:36 PM   #28
icosaca

My Ride: BMW AA blown 325 ci
guys, supercharging a 325 IS worth it, my car was a step, i installed AA supercharger with 7.5 psi pulley, everything was doing perfectly well, i then decided to go against AA suggestions, and decided to run a 9.5 psi pulley, which is even one number smaller than what they use in manual cars, the tranny was fine.
i then decided to do a manual tranny swap, and ofcourse it got even better, but the car was supercharged with step tranny at 9.5 psi, producing 285 whp for about 5k milles, and believe me, i do drive very hard, and tracked my car a few times with that configuration, and everything was perfect.
let me know if you have a question,
jorge saca
PS. you need to think of it this way, "i will supercharge at 9.5 psi, if tranny breaks i replace it, WTF.
in my case i decided to do swap before tranny gave problems.
Old 09-20-2006, 05:15 PM   #29
interisti

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfanatic325 View Post
ummmm...how exactly would one upgrade from 325 to 330 with $6-7K??? even if I were to have traded-in my car say 10 seconds after I left the lot on the day I took delivery, they would knock down the re-buy price of my car to like...$30K...which means I already lost about $6-7K (don't quote me on this, I'm juss trying to prove a point in that you already lose money off of trade-in)...basically, what I mean is that for people that already currently have a car, I don't think upgrading to 330 is very likely <=[ ...or maybe it's just me? I'm poor as fock T_T
You don't trade in your car to the dealer. If you trade it to the dealer you need about 10 grands to upgrade from 325i to 330i.
The best way is to sell your 325i to private party so you won't lose so much depreciation. Then, you can buy 330i from a private seller or dealer. Remember that manual cars are always less expensive (less desirable in the U.S. for most people) than the step ones. Therefore, the difference is only 6-7k or even less between step 325i and manual 330i.
interisti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:26 AM   #30
rollandgrecu

My Ride: BMW 330ci
yeah, it's possible...I've read on older threads of it being done, but from what I remember, it requires a lot of time, work (labor), and money I for one LOVE clutchless manual...and if I had money, I'd try to upgrade to SSG or SMG [/QUOTE]

what is SSG?and how to upgrade it?what do u say about a new soft for steptronic from ESS?
rollandgrecu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 12:37 PM   #31
mfanatic325

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollandgrecu View Post
what is SSG?and how to upgrade it?what do u say about a new soft for steptronic from ESS?
SSG is the non-M 3-series version of the SMG...it doesn't quite shift as fast, but it's at least faster than the Steptronic...and you get the paddle action =P...and a form of launch control, but not as cool as the SMG's ...as for software for the step, I only know of ones that will take off the rev limiter (allowing you to stay in gear until you shift manually in manual mode)...I don't know if there's software to make it shift faster could someone chime in on this?

Old 09-21-2006, 12:56 PM   #32
clean-m-tech330

My Ride: Technik 330ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to clean-m-tech330
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermachina View Post
Why does everyone always say this? If this were true, would BMW put the step tranny in the new 335 with 300ft-lbs of torque? Doubt it.
I'm curious to know if BMW is using a getrag or zf tanny in the new 335, that could make a nice difference...
'07 Subaru Satin White Pearl STI - Garage Queen
'11 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Daily
clean-m-tech330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:00 PM   #33
clean-m-tech330

My Ride: Technik 330ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to clean-m-tech330
Quote:
Ok, thats a much better way to look at it, but yea i only have headers exhaust and intake, so if i get like a 7 psi s/c , which i think im goin to get from ess, that runs 325 and reduced to 7 psi from 8 psi to be compatible with automatic, which is 6775 i believe, so if anybody hears about a deal, please let me know. thanx for the info
I'm curious to why you dont just pick up a technik stage 1 kit with intercooler for the auto trans and call it a day, tell him chris sent you and work something out- Samir would know the limits of a step tranny pretty well they've had a good amount of step s/c'ed cars go in and out of their shop. You should email him and see what he recommends as safe boost for an auto trans-
'07 Subaru Satin White Pearl STI - Garage Queen
'11 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Daily
clean-m-tech330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 01:14 PM   #34
mfanatic325

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean-m-tech330 View Post
I'm curious to know if BMW is using a getrag or zf tanny in the new 335, that could make a nice difference...
I'm pretty sure they probably changed it up to something stronger