E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-03-2002, 01:12 PM   #1
K-DOG
P.I.M.P.

My Ride: 2002, 330i 5spd
Raced a WRX last night-VERY IMPRESSED!

Last night at around 12:30 i was coming back from my girlfriends house via 405 south.(this story is also a testement to my stupidity and inexpirience) It had rained that night, but wasn't raining anymore..roads were still very wet. There were zero cars on the highway...until i spot a silver WRX. Before this i have never raced one and i didn't know what to expect...i heard conflicting stories...like the run out of juice after 60mph...runnign quarter miles at 13.2 with just a boost controller. The guy was going speed limit, i was going 70ish. ( From the outside the only mods i can see is tint and exhaust...my mods are just cosmetics and a UUC silencer...i am still rolling on stock type 68's with conti touring sports)I slow down...downshift to 3rd...hit it in front of him...look behind me...nothing is happening he doesnt want to race. I put it back in 4th...look in the mirror...Suddenly he hit it hard! I dropped to 3rd...rev,drop clutch, and hit the gas...i did this in time to be a car length ahead of him. At around 95mph i'm close to redline , so i shift to 4th...look in mirror damn...he is only 1.5-2 cars behind me still. We are now going over 100 and we are on the part of 405 thats a couple of miles away from i-90...for non seattle people, this means there are A LOT of twisties. When we get to the twisties we are going 130+..I am near redline in 4th. The twisties come up...puddles all over...the wrx is STILL 1.5-2 cars behind me...not budging at all. THere was a hard corner, and we were going very fast, i had to take up two lanes for the turn. Now more and more corners are coming up...and I am going through them at insanse speeds...DSC light occasionaly switching on. At this point i am scared b/c i am doing all this in crappy road conditions...the WRX on the other hand is having little trouble keeping up. We get to a straightaway I go itno fifth...hit what would be my highest speed in this car...139mph. A twistiy comes up...i hit the brakes instinctively(now this is the part where your life flashes before your eyes and you realize you are STUPID) I suddenly remembered millions of horror stories of cars losing control when they hit the breaks on high speed cornering. I immediately felt my cars control feel strange...remebering all this i let go of the brakes, hit the gas and eased the corner. WRX is still behind me and not losing any ground. At this point i was scared shitless...my hands shaking from adrenaline...After this curve i am thinking that i am a moron to compete with a turbo charged rally car in crappy road conditions. 30 seconds later i shut it down from being so shaken up and realizing i am a moron...I expected a ***** fly by, the guy was REALLY cool. He slowed down to my speed, rolled down the window and gave me a salute, and took the next exit...i did the same thing but i don't think he saw...he was on my right. In retrospect i am a moron...but i hope this story helps someone...remember don't be stupid like me and race during crappy road conditions and don't BRAKE during corners...only before or after...my initial reaction almost caused me to crash my car I am sure. I am still very impressed with the WRX as it was able to keep up with me no problem...it did not run out of juice even close to 139. I thought at those speeds the 4wd would be a disadvantage but obviously it wasnt under these conditions. I have no idea if i would have been able to beat it by a larger margin on dry roads...but the guy was cool and a good driver, props.
PS. I am dumb
K-DOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 05-03-2002, 01:18 PM   #2
Kamil

My Ride: MDX
Send a message via AIM to Kamil
cliff notes?

Yea, they can be very fast and they can handle good w/ after marekt suspension.
Old 05-03-2002, 01:21 PM   #3
sick330

My Ride: Dinan3
Good story, I was glued to the screen...

the WRX's are not exactly the vehicle to mess with. They run hard out of the box, and then with few mods, geese! So unless you are packing something under the hood of your E46, I would recommend staying away.
Remember this though:
At the end of the day, you will always be driving a BMW, and he will be driving a Suburu.
sick330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 01:21 PM   #4
MaxSpeed

My Ride: 2002 330i
Wow, you are insane. Sounds like fun.

nt
MaxSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 01:26 PM   #5
sick330

My Ride: Dinan3
K-Dog, invest in some UUC sways, and suspension upgrades

and all that will never happen again. The car was uneasy due to the body roll.It is intensified at high speeds. Suspension and sways minimizes that, if not rids it completely. But don't depend on your ride to get you out of an ugly situation, driver error can over compensate any custom set-up you may have. Best of luck!
sick330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 01:59 PM   #6
obLu

My Ride: 330cic
Conti's are greezy in the wet too..

They're an okay tire dry, but once the road is wet they get slick fast. Wow, with the amount of trooper activity I've seen in the past few days on 405 I'm surprised you didn't get nailed.

Now I'm feeling really bad, Tuesday I had a guy in a mid 80's prelude keep up with me all the way to 110. I was only using 4th instead of dropping to 3rd....but still! :sad:

I keep telling myself he must've done an engine swap....can't imagine how much a WRX would've creamed me.
Old 05-03-2002, 02:58 PM   #7
vinnymac
St. Louis BMW Fanatic

My Ride: 2011 335is
Send a message via AIM to vinnymac
Glad you're OK...

it's so dangerous to race.

Not to mention WRX's are pretty fast cars...
vinnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 03:55 PM   #8
Ed328ci
Too many rock chips!

My Ride: E90 325i
Send a message via MSN to Ed328ci Send a message via Yahoo to Ed328ci
WRX's are nice performance cars. Above 3,000 RPM, their engines have ample power. What I don't like about the WRX are: cheap interior, notchy shifter, no xenons, and lack of torque below 3k.

Ed
Old 05-03-2002, 05:34 PM   #9
dollar99

My Ride: c6 Z51
Send a message via AIM to dollar99
agree...
dollar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 06:10 PM   #10
m3kid

My Ride: M3
you guys should not be racing in the first place. people like u give all of us a bad name once something bad happens. thank god you realize ur mistake in time. otherwise the post will be "BMW TOTALED DUE TO STREETRACING" /"DRIVER KILLED IN STREET RACING"

Old 05-03-2002, 07:09 PM   #11
BMWDon

My Ride: Needs a cage
Fun though wasn't it??!!??

I'm an old focker, but I still love to run against people for fun, straight but preferably curves. The slight tremble before and afterwards is an addiction, sounds like a fun time, hopefully if an accident happens, you don't take anybody with you, I figure if I expire, it's my own damn fault, if the guy you raced expires, it's his damn fault....but if you mess up someones elses life that has nothing to do with you....then poo on you. But I like street racin' for fun...so try to keep some form of sense to the madness...and woop some ass if you can...
BMWDon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2002, 09:34 PM   #12
halsugs
ACS Fanatics

My Ride: 2001 330ci
sounds exciting

good to hear u survive another day of racing
Old 05-04-2002, 12:35 AM   #13
kC323

My Ride: 2007 BMW 335i
Send a message via AIM to kC323
3rd WRX

There is guy here in town that owns the local car (rice) shop, he just happens to drive the 3rd fastest WRX in the country, this isnt just something he told me, hes got soild proof, he's pushing 400+ HP... before i met him personally, i saw him on the road, to my mistake i decided to floor it at a red light, i havent seen anything like that in awhile, in the 1/8 he is doing late 7's.... needless to say he kicked my 323's a$$... that is one bad car, if you guys are interested i can get you some more info...maybe some pic's

Old 05-04-2002, 06:40 AM   #14
James330I
Imported Redneck

My Ride: BMW baby 330i 5spd
Send a message via AIM to James330I
hey, is it a blue WRX wih Gold rims?

I try to stay away from the modded WRXs.....that's a whole different category for me!!

2001 Dinan 330I 5spd (gone..what an awesome car)
2013 335i 6spd M-sport
2013 Infiniti M37S

James330I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2002, 11:14 PM   #15
K-DOG
P.I.M.P.

Yeah, I don't much like the WRX's looks but they are pretty speedy. I wasn't expecting the race to turn out like that, i was planning on burning him to 120 then shutting down..guess i was pretty wrong. On a sidenote, I heard they are making a WRX with a larger intercooler that is good for 50+hp then the current.
Old 05-04-2002, 11:56 PM   #16
MillsBims
Alco-ma-holic

My Ride: nada
you sure you dont have other mods???

How on earth do you shift to 5th at 130ish and 4th at 95???? I have a 325Ci and I have to shift to 5th at 95.
MillsBims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2002, 12:24 AM   #17
kC323

My Ride: 2007 BMW 335i
Send a message via AIM to kC323
Quote:
Originally posted by vvtivanos
hey, is it a blue WRX wih Gold rims?

I try to stay away from the modded WRXs.....that's a whole different category for me!!
yeah thats the one, he own's Evolution Racing off Broadway...

oh i got your message, there's not many other bimmer folks in town, I dont know if youve ever heard of AutoHaus of southerland but that where i get my work done, there good and always full of helpful tips
Old 05-05-2002, 02:34 AM   #18
Razor325ci
Sick of Modding my car

My Ride: 02 325ci,645cic,550i
Send a message via AIM to Razor325ci
Ya 405 is a tight place to race. but watch out for po po's! see ya around.
Old 05-05-2002, 04:42 AM   #19
K-DOG
P.I.M.P.

MillBims 2 things.
1) change your oil often
2) 330 and 325 are 2 different animals. The gearing on a 330 is 2.93 and 325 is 3.15 gear ratios. (laymens terms, 330 has longer gears, higher top speed)
Old 05-05-2002, 05:50 AM   #20
jestr
is bester

My Ride: '02 Steel Grey 325i
My 325i

Redline @ what Mph

1st Gear: 30Mph
2nd Gear: 50Mph
3rd Gear: 80Mph
4th Gear: 112Mph
5th Gear: ????

I conducted this experiment a few weeks ago. Im pretty sure the numbers are correct if my memory serves me right
jestr is offline   Reply With Quote