E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Forced Induction Forum Sponsored by Active Autowerke
Discuss supercharging, turbocharging and even nitrous and water injection here.
Sponsored by Active Autowerke

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-21-2006, 12:43 PM   #1
Icecreamfoo

My Ride: slow boosting...
Send a message via AIM to Icecreamfoo
For you ZHP guys who have Technik IC...

Hi guys, for you zhp owners who have the Technik larger IC, can you still keep the factory brake ducts? Do the IC pipings on both sides get in the way of the ducts that you have to ditch them?

Trying to gather parts for a mtech II bumper for my sedan, not sure if the brake ducts are still needed since I have to cut away the ducts on my mtech I bumper (the sport pckg bumper). I've never seen how it's done on the cars with ZHP bumper so if anyone can share some info I'd appreciate it. Thanks
Icecreamfoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 09-21-2006, 01:36 PM   #2
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky

My Ride: has a torn subframe
Send a message via AIM to Tyler@UniqueDesign
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamfoo View Post
Hi guys, for you zhp owners who have the Technik larger IC, can you still keep the factory brake ducts? Do the IC pipings on both sides get in the way of the ducts that you have to ditch them?

Trying to gather parts for a mtech II bumper for my sedan, not sure if the brake ducts are still needed since I have to cut away the ducts on my mtech I bumper (the sport pckg bumper). I've never seen how it's done on the cars with ZHP bumper so if anyone can share some info I'd appreciate it. Thanks
You probably won't find many since the tuning for the ZHP isn't as simple as you may think.
Tyler@UniqueDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 03:43 PM   #3
Icecreamfoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler@UniqueDesign View Post
You probably won't find many since the tuning for the ZHP isn't as simple as you may think.

Thanks Tyler, that's a good point, didnt realize that
Old 09-21-2006, 07:31 PM   #4
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icecreamfoo View Post
Thanks Tyler, that's a good point, didnt realize that
However - there are tons of cars with Mtech fronts and SC's so someone should know this. I forget what Mike Benvo has...maybe an Mtech?
Old 09-21-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
LakeShow
Millennium Bankers Mortgage

My Ride: is almost finished!
Send a message via AIM to LakeShow Send a message via Yahoo to LakeShow
Theres a guy named cleanmtech330 here. He his the FMIC on his Mtech front. It looks like Techniks bigger IC. Hope he dosent mind me posting a pic.

Old 09-21-2006, 09:04 PM   #6
Icecreamfoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeShow View Post
Theres a guy named cleanmtech330 here. He his the FMIC on his Mtech front. It looks like Techniks bigger IC. Hope he dosent mind me posting a pic.

Thanks for helping out guys... I did try to IM cleanmtech, he didnt respond. prolly thought I was a prankster or something. I'll write him instead.

Doesn't look like the ducts can be kept though, at least not for the driver side, that's where the intake sits, looking at your pic, LakeShow. Anyone else can share their mtech setup?
Old 09-21-2006, 10:45 PM   #7
vmwerks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 330zhp Super Coupe
Send a message via AIM to vmwerks
I have a ZHP with the larger FMIC. You have to remove the filler behind the kidney grills. You cannot run the plastic underpan. I have retained my factory brake ducts.
vmwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:49 PM   #8
vmwerks
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: 330zhp Super Coupe
Send a message via AIM to vmwerks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler@UniqueDesign View Post

The base S/C kit comes with a piggyback. Tuning is not an issue for stage 1 or sk+ which does not use any AFPR or even a piggyback. My system has been running for several thousand miles with no hiccups or CEL's. I am on MS45 with a piggyback.
Tuning for a ZHP is no harder than a non ZHP model with respect to a S/C. The boost is linear therefore simpler to tune than a turbo. The issue with the ZHP deals with a hesitation or stumble that starts around 3800 rpm or so. This is true with a bone stock car, it is a BMW problem not a F/I issue. F/I exacerbates the problem but is not the base cause.
vmwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 10:55 PM   #9
Tyler@UniqueDesign
Car Junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmwerks View Post
The base S/C kit comes with a piggyback. Tuning is not an issue for stage 1 or sk+ which does not use any AFPR or even a piggyback. My system has been running for several thousand miles with no hiccups or CEL's. I am on MS45 with a piggyback.
Tuning for a ZHP is no harder than a non ZHP model with respect to a S/C. The boost is linear therefore simpler to tune than a turbo. The issue with the ZHP deals with a hesitation or stumble that starts around 3800 rpm or so. This is true with a bone stock car, it is a BMW problem not a F/I issue. F/I exacerbates the problem but is not the base cause.
I was meaning that the piggy back wasn't a preferable method for most people.

Personally I think the MS45 is a joke for tuners to try to work with, but I don't really know enough about it to say go piggy back all the way either.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:33 AM   #10
Icecreamfoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmwerks View Post
I have a ZHP with the larger FMIC. You have to remove the filler behind the kidney grills. You cannot run the plastic underpan. I have retained my factory brake ducts.
cool! so the brake ducts dont get in the way, thanks for the info vm. I suppose the filler is that air duct-like thing that one can see thru the grid, correct? because the IC took its place?
Old 09-22-2006, 01:36 PM   #11
Solid

My Ride: `07 335i Sedan
Send a message via ICQ to Solid Send a message via AIM to Solid Send a message via MSN to Solid Send a message via Yahoo to Solid
i still use my underpan but i hat to cut away some of it for the IC piping. I also removed the driver side brakeduct so the intake is directly in the brake duct area...
Solid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 02:08 PM   #12
clean-m-tech330

My Ride: Technik 330ci ZHP
Send a message via AIM to clean-m-tech330
hey guys, what's up. This is interesting i still have my under tray or pan intact, along with both ducts intact, minus the cutting for the intake filter. Lakeshow, no worries about posting the pic, I apprecaite it. Anyways the only part that really needs to be removed is the bracket that goes behind the mesh, which IMO doesn't even really serve a purpose other than for looks. I had no issues other that removing that one bracket, I spoke with the thread starts icecream, i didnt respond to the aim message, because i was away from my computer, I have a bad habit of signing onto AIM and forgetting to sign off, I've since wrote him back and hopefully any other questions were answered, if not email me and I'd be more than happy to help out, thanks-
'07 Subaru Satin White Pearl STI - Garage Queen
'11 Honda Civic Si Sedan - Daily
clean-m-tech330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 05:57 PM   #13
Icecreamfoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by clean-m-tech330 View Post
hey guys, what's up. This is interesting i still have my under tray or pan intact, along with both ducts intact, minus the cutting for the intake filter. Lakeshow, no worries about posting the pic, I apprecaite it. Anyways the only part that really needs to be removed is the bracket that goes behind the mesh, which IMO doesn't even really serve a purpose other than for looks. I had no issues other that removing that one bracket, I spoke with the thread starts icecream, i didnt respond to the aim message, because i was away from my computer, I have a bad habit of signing onto AIM and forgetting to sign off, I've since wrote him back and hopefully any other questions were answered, if not email me and I'd be more than happy to help out, thanks-
Thanks for the help guys. It looks like the brake duct function can be retained and I'll go ahead and order up the parts.

As for the underpan, my situation is just as Solid described, Zolti had to cut a way a small portion of it to accomodate the IC piping and that's it. But I guess the situation can vary between different installers... Again, thanks for everyone's info