E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2015, 05:35 AM   #1
mangomagic

My Ride: BMW
Help with buying E46 M3

Hi guys, I am a newbie in this forum

I in the process of buying a M3 and I was wondering whether you guys can help me out with your expertise.

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...2888071/?Cr=14

What do you think about the in terms of car / milage / price?

Worth it? Also, the seller has informed me that its has been converted from SMG to manual.

Anything I should know about or any problems I should expect?

Also, Im from interstate as well
I have been reading through this forum about E93 M3s and I'm gonna get a PPI and get it transported back to my state.

Can you please recommend me a good mechanic for PPI in VIC?
I would really appreciate your help._a_
mangomagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:13 PM   #2
Syfon

My Ride: 2004.5 6-speed M3
Hate to shoot you down, but that is overly expensive. I paid $37,000 for a 2004.5 M3 6-speed manual with 50,000KMS.

And that was only a few weeks ago.

You shouldnt be paying more than 30-32k for this at the absolute most.

Last edited by Syfon; 02-22-2015 at 09:14 PM.
Syfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:32 PM   #3
Bafffyyy

My Ride: is Individual
Send a message via Skype™ to Bafffyyy
Keep looking.
GAS Rebuilt DISA
Liqui-Moly fluids
OEM ///M Strut Bar
Bafffyyy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 09:42 PM   #4
Twenza
Banned User

My Ride: mile high club
Id be wanting to pay less than 30K...if its been mucked around and had gearbox changes and has 150k on it....just my opinion.
Twenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:42 AM   #5
empowr

My Ride: e46 m3
Silver Grey and Alpine White M3's will always demand higher prices than any other colour e46 m3 with the exotic colours like laguna seca, imola red and phoenix yellow being the cheapest. Darker colors can look scruffy even with low millage over time and sometimes on inspection can turn a buyer off them just because every blemish stands out more.

With the e46 m3, at this point in its life low Millage and service history and UPKEEP is everything.

The one you see, for its kms is in the ball park for price. But for an enthusiast the KMS are too high. Will it give you trouble free motoring? sorry not many of us have crystal balls. The PPI, is a great service, but it is only a guide.

Keep in perspective At 150,000kms a car may have been hit, dented, worn, repaired ect, but there are so many components that may be getting at the end of their design life which would need replacing, for example the doors and windows have been opened many more times more than one with 80,000kms.

The fact your asking the question for reassurance of a car probably means you will buy one and KEEP it long term. Maybe you will do only 5000kms a year or so... But look in 5 years time when the cars for sale have been clocked up with kms, pounded and are for sale with in excess of 200,000 your example with 100,000 should have a heap of driving potential left in it. Think about this in an ideal world your car would be twice better off than one with double the kms and if you paid 25% more than a higher millage example you are miles better off.

A Silver grey six speed conventional transmission (they are rare) example between 50,000km and 80,000 with thorough service history will be rare to find below $45,000. There will always be cheaper examples, but keep this in mind too the cheaper examples are NOT necessarily owned by passionate car enthusiasts.

Now ask yourself, who would you rather buy a car like this from and how much would you be willing to spend?

Last edited by empowr; 02-23-2015 at 12:45 AM. Reason: 1st post :)
empowr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 01:05 AM   #6
Davconelectric

My Ride: Mainly cars
I don't see an issue at all with 150k Kms. Really means nothing, apart from a number. Also having a manual conversion tells me someone has spent the money to do this, which if done properly isn't cheap. Think about that......
Davconelectric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 02:52 AM   #7
e34m5freak199

My Ride: E34 M5, E46 325
Buying any m3 over 100k is always going to have issues. In fact, ive never seen one witout issues. Buying one under 100k doesnt mean it wont have issuus.for example Those who belive not all floors will crack, need to get there head checked.

Bottom line is, if you plan on selling your last pair of shoes to buy an m3 think again. The fact of the matter is, there will always be common issues, none of which are cheap. No easy way to own any m.
You could always buy an sedan version, then again im a little biast lol
e34m5freak199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 03:12 AM   #8
CortinaD

My Ride: lots
Doesn't matter how many kms a car has on it, there will always be a story about how its kms are too high.
CortinaD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:13 AM   #9
dsisco

My Ride: 911sc. e46m3. E53 x5
Being in the industry I'd pick condition over Kms any day!
dsisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 04:43 AM   #10
e34m5freak199

My Ride: E34 M5, E46 325
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsisco View Post
Being in the industry I'd pick condition over Kms any day!
especially with a bmw
e34m5freak199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:23 AM   #11
empowr

Anyone who believes high Kms and good condition on any vehicle are not mutually exclusive are kidding themselves. Every mechanical component from window regulator to wheel bearing, to steering wheel, to indicator stalk all have a design life.
Old 02-23-2015, 07:53 AM   #12
mangomagic

My Ride: BMW
Thank you guys for your replies. It's a massive help for me and I very much appreciate it

Another basic question as well..so for E46 M3, you guys think I should be buying lower milage cars even it might be few years older? e.g. 02 model with 80,000km vs 05 model with 140,000km?
Being that both of them had good maintenance records etc..
mangomagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:18 AM   #13
empowr

What you should be aiming for ideally is an example with around 6000-8000km a year since it was built. With no more than 10000km per year. The mid 2003 onwards had very important fix's, recalls and updates and more excusive external colour and interior availability so that should be what you want to buy.

These kind of cars when you find a perfect example you really have to make a decision to buy fast because there are many others looking exactly as you are. I was looking for 4 years back before I got mine in 2011 and granted it had low millage it still wasn't the perfect car at the time for me. (at any given point there are like 10 manuals available on the market).

Just keep in mind, don't expect bargains for enthusiast or fastidiously maintained cars of this type.
Old 02-23-2015, 06:23 PM   #14
braaang

My Ride: E46 M3
1. I would never buy a car sight unseen, relying only on a ppi. Especially an m3.
2. Id be very appehensive of a low mileage 10 yr old car. Bushings, various mechanisms, plastics etc are very sensitive to age (in yrs) and something that hasnt been driven much would flag the need for routine replacement.
3. Typically owners of expensive cars tend to keep them running better. Its when the price drops out (like for e46 m3) when ppl start cutting corners.
Find a car that has been properly maintained its whole life, and serviced by competent ppl.
Happy ///motoring

Last edited by braaang; 02-23-2015 at 06:23 PM.
braaang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #15
Syfon

My Ride: 2004.5 6-speed M3
Put it this way; the lower the KM, the better the car, generally speaking. Yes, there will be cars out there will low mileage that will be complete dogs, however I've found with all top-end performance/luxury cars, the owners tend to look after them properly and don't cut corners.

Yes, even if you buy a low mileage E46 M3, you will still have issues with the car such as suspension bushings needing replacement etc etc. The car is 10+ years old so you have to expect things to reach the end of their design life.

One thing I can say, do not cut corners with maintenance. Use the correct fluids, and replace any worn/damage parts with genuineor OEM components.

Just make sure the car you are looking at has it's service history 100% documented.

My 2cents worth.
Syfon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 09:41 PM   #16
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-2824598/?Cr=8

Might be worth having a look at this

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2015, 12:53 AM   #17
empowr

Quote:
Originally Posted by braaang View Post
1. I would never buy a car sight unseen, relying only on a ppi. Especially an m3.
Funny you say that a written off m3 csl wreck with damage everywhere bent rear drivers side axle, curtain airbag deployed (bar its good condition csl engine/airbox, interior, bootlid, was sold for $30,500 plus buyers fees off an internet buyer today. The car was stored in the dark with no access to its trunk, no key, unknown kms, bits missing or smashed everywhere etc. Looks like it had a lot to hide. Suddenly $34,000 for a basic m3 you can inspect to stringest standards is a downright bargain.
Old 02-24-2015, 02:05 AM   #18
Rajvosa

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by empowr View Post
Funny you say that a written off m3 csl wreck with damage everywhere bent rear drivers side axle, curtain airbag deployed (bar its good condition csl engine/airbox, interior, bootlid, was sold for $30,500 plus buyers fees off an internet buyer today. The car was stored in the dark with no access to its trunk, no key, unknown kms, bits missing or smashed everywhere etc. Looks like it had a lot to hide. Suddenly $34,000 for a basic m3 you can inspect to stringest standards is a downright bargain.
that CSL was my mates and he sold it to the person who wrecked it. he sold it about 6 months ago.

its got 44xxxkms (when he sold it) and was an absolute gem. not any more though
Old 02-24-2015, 05:12 AM   #19
empowr

Maybe engine, interior, brakes and steering rack still ok. The rest was molested in a cruel way for such a great example. What did your friend get for it 6 months ago with such short millage?
Old 02-24-2015, 06:39 AM   #20
Rajvosa

My Ride: M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by empowr View Post
Maybe engine, interior, brakes and steering rack still ok. The rest was molested in a cruel way for such a great example. What did your friend get for it 6 months ago with such short millage?
from memory mid to high 90's