E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > BMW Regional Forums > Regional Forums > Australia

Australia
Check out other E46Fanatics members rides in the Enthusist Directory!

If you don't have your garage setup, sign up today HERE

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 4.30 average.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #1121
M3_GTR

My Ride: hates driveways
While on the topic of automatics, say someone does a donut in a manual, the car spins around and they roll back abit obviously once the car is thrown around, but in an auto it stops there and then (im guessing the tranny wont let it roll back?) is that bad for it in any way??

And also, say i take off in manual mode and floor it out of a corner and my wheels spin and the car automatically shifts into 2nd, is that bad in any way while the wheels are still spinning?

BTW i dont do donuts in my car, but the car does shift into second when i take off hard cos of wheelspin.
Id also prefer answers and not someone saying you shouldn't do it, because you all do it too
thanks xD

FOR SALE!
M3_GTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:51 PM   #1122
Sherweeeny

My Ride: BMW Civic
thats really weird. because everytime ive done donuts, its never shifted up... so i cant really give advice here.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:53 PM   #1123
bobz

My Ride: 0 BMW's
In a manual you roll back because you have disengaged the drive from the engine to the diff, you can do the same in an auto just move the car from drive to neutral and the car should roll back as there is no drive.

The reson that happends is because in the BMW auto the gearbox will not let the car bounce off the rev limiter it will change up at the redline, modulate the pedal so that your max revs are 500 below the red line until most of the wheelspin is over then floor it to change up to second.

BobZ

PS. I do not condone unsafe or illegal driving on the roads.
PPS. No not every one does it I have much better ways to waste my tyres then by doing donuts.
Old 09-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #1124
M3_GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobz View Post
In a manual you roll back because you have disengaged the drive from the engine to the diff, you can do the same in an auto just move the car from drive to neutral and the car should roll back as there is no drive.

The reson that happends is because in the BMW auto the gearbox will not let the car bounce off the rev limiter it will change up at the redline, modulate the pedal so that your max revs are 500 below the red line until most of the wheelspin is over then floor it to change up to second.

BobZ

PPS. No not every one does it I have much better ways to waste my tyres then by doing donuts.

Understood.
So its doesnt really do damage to the car, in either situation?

FOR SALE!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:01 PM   #1125
YGOAMG

My Ride: 325Ci ClubSport
Send a message via MSN to YGOAMG
Quote:
It does not have a double clutch like the M3 or the Porker or the VW/Audi, it has a 7 speed automatic transmission with a torque converter and planetary gear set.

The new SL65 has an automatic gearbox but the torque converter has been replaced with a multi plate wet clutch, (see any bike except Ducati sport bikes)

The new SLS300 (the gull wing one) does have the dual clutch transmission but its part of the transaxle so i dont know how quicly it will be available in the normal line up, the next car to get this architecture might be the next generation SLK.

BobZ

PS. Still a great car but I do hate automatics....
Edit ... I was also told it was the same as the gulwing sls ..

I'm talking about the brand spanker E63 ...2010 model.. Not even released yet , it's actually dye for reaslese early dec late nov .. I was told by the driver that it had double clutch.. So I'm just going by what I was told...

Find me on Instagram
@PeterMarquez346

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4show View Post
who da F done that?
prestige warehouse or who?

Last edited by YGOAMG; 09-28-2009 at 09:14 PM.
YGOAMG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #1126
Sherweeeny

Quote:

BobZ

wow bob, that was actually quite insightful. ive always wondered why i cant keep the bloody thing sideways for a prolonged period of time, and i now understand why midway through corner the engine usually dies a bit, the wheels grip, and it sends me straight towards the gutter.
ps, i too do not condone unsafe or illegal driving, however abandoned industrial areas at 3am arent exactly putting any one elses lives in danger despite popular nanny beliefs.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:02 PM   #1127
bobz

Doing donuts places the gearbox and the engine under thermal stress your not going quickly enough to cool them so if your going to do donuts for long enough you will overheat the engine and/or the gearbox, also be mindful of axle tramp as this can cause considerable damage to the driveline.

BobZ
Old 09-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #1128
bobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by YGOAMG View Post
I'm talking about the brand spanker E63 ...2010 model.. Not even released yet , it's actually dye for reaslese early dec late nov .. I was told by the driver that it had double clutch.. So I'm just going by what I was told...
The E63 will have the same 7 speed automatic gearbox as the current C63 but it will get a SINGLE multi plate wet clutch, (see motorbikes again) to replace the torque converter the aim of this change is to improve fuel consumption as there is less slip losses with a wet clutch vs a torque converter.

This gearbox is in the New AMG SL.

BobZ

PS. Believe only half of what you see and only a quarter of what you hear.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:07 PM   #1129
M3_GTR

Not really into the donut thing, just tried it a few times, my biggest worry was if i was damaging anything when it shifted into 2nd wheelspinning. Thanks for the input bobZ

FOR SALE!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #1130
Miss325

My Ride: 05 325CiC Individual
If your auto is spinning the wheels on take off, I would sugest a new set of tyres.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:09 PM   #1131
bobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherweeeny View Post
ps, i too do not condone unsafe or illegal driving, however abandoned industrial areas at 3am arent exactly putting any one elses lives in danger despite popular nanny beliefs.
Illegal is illegal and you are putting your life in danger if something were to go wrong and no one else knew you were there, but to each their own.

BobZ
Old 09-28-2009, 09:10 PM   #1132
M3_GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss325 View Post
If your auto is spinning the wheels on take off, I would sugest a new set of tyres.
Not in a straight line, while taking a corner.

FOR SALE!
Old 09-28-2009, 09:11 PM   #1133
bobz

Quote:
I dont think there are tyres made that will allow 350HP+ to be transmitted through them if you are hamfisted with the throttle or the clutch pedal.

BobZ
Old 09-28-2009, 09:44 PM   #1134
Miss325

Who said anything about 350hp?
Old 09-28-2009, 09:47 PM   #1135
Sherweeeny

Quote:
318i auto = hectic 2nd gear wheelspin = 350hp = match for no tyre.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #1136
Sam_Micropak_AU
Past Site Sponsor

My Ride: E46 M3 Convert
Bobz the 2010 E63 will be the second AMG to get the transaxle wet multi-clutch auto - it's already launched in europe with it, or so ive read - which would mean the new E63 coupe will be released with it too, that's going to be a hot car

the first AMG to launch with it was the SLS

it will soon filter down to all new AMG models

Last edited by Sam_Micropak_AU; 09-28-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Sam_Micropak_AU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 09:57 PM   #1137
bobz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam_Micropak_AU View Post
Bobz the 2010 E63 will be the second AMG to get the transaxle wet multi-clutch auto - it's already launched in europe with it

the first AMG to launch with it was the SLS

it will soon filter down to all new AMG models
my understanding, and I could be very wrong is that the 2 are completely different things,

dual multy plate wet clutch manual transmission is different then a multy plate wet clutch automatic transmission which is what the new AMG models will come out with.

Some UK and US jurnalists are having a go at MB AG for being very liberal with the translation from german to english to make it sound as though the new E63 has the same gearbox like the Porker or VAG.

Sam, I can gurantee you the 2010 E63 will not get a transaxle gearbox as there is no room to fit 1 in the car as it would take up a lot of rear leg room not exacly something you would want to loose in a luxury car.

Will wait for the official release documentation?

BobZ

Last edited by bobz; 09-28-2009 at 10:01 PM.
bobz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 10:00 PM   #1138
Miss325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherweeeny View Post
318i auto = hectic 2nd gear wheelspin = 350hp = match for no tyre.
Cool got it
Old 09-28-2009, 10:17 PM   #1139
bobz

Quote:
just to put in perspective, I had no problems getting wheelspin in my E36 318i (no s) with Michelin Pilot Sports on the BMW alloy wheels.

BobZ

PS. Offcourse in a controlled enviroment....
Old 09-28-2009, 10:30 PM   #1140
bobz

back to the transmission issues with MB.

SLS as well as Porka VAG and now M3 have a DCT (Dual clutch transmission)

AMG 2010 models have a MTC (manual clutch transmission)

BobZ