E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Lighting Forum

Lighting Forum
Angel Eyes, DDEs, lighted rings, Clear Turn Signals, LEDs, Xenon, HID, or Bi-Xenon. If it lights up and you want to discuss it, post here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-19-2006, 08:12 PM   #1
v3man

My Ride: TBM 2001 330Ci
Send a message via AIM to v3man
help!.. headlight out.. not the bulb

hey... so i installed my DDE's and then about a week later my right HID went out... i thought it was the bulb so i ordered a new pair of d2s bulbs... this time 6000k so it would be more white... but i just switched out the bulb and the right side is still out!!... what could it be? can anyone list the possible errors it could be? the only reason i mentioned the DDE's was because maybe the wiring had something to do with the bulb goin out? maybe.. iuno.. thanks for the help guys!
v3man is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-19-2006, 08:19 PM   #2
e34werkz

My Ride: F30
Could be the ballast. Contact the vendor you purchased from. They should be able to help you out.

BMWCCA Member#395677
e34werkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:22 PM   #3
v3man

what does the ballast look like? remember it's the HID not the halos that are out...
Old 10-19-2006, 08:23 PM   #4
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
maybe the igniter.... you can get bad ones some times.
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:25 PM   #5
sna77
OEM ///Member

My Ride: BMW
Quote:
Originally Posted by v3man View Post
what does the ballast look like? remember it's the HID not the halos that are out...
are they OEM HIDs?

If so, there is a ballast, ignitor and bulb. those are the 3 components. Its one of those. Hope that its the ballast. You can get a used on on ebay for about $50 or so... the ignitor is a PAIN to replace because you need to remove the projectors from the housing...

Here's a picture of an e46 Xenon headlight disected. Th ballasts are all the way to the right. The ignitors are the red things:

sna77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
v3man

oh god so either way it's gonna be relatively expensive to fix huh?... -_-... thanks for the help guys... is there any way i could find out specifically what is wrong with it? like... an electronics shop or something.. im trying to avoid the stealerships... but where can i go to find out what is wrong with it? once again thanks for the help guys.. and thanks for the pics sna77!
Old 10-19-2006, 08:34 PM   #7
v3man

oh god so either way it's gonna be relatively expensive to fix huh?... -_-... thanks for the help guys... is there any way i could find out specifically what is wrong with it? like... an electronics shop or something.. im trying to avoid the stealerships... but where can i go to find out what is wrong with it? once again thanks for the help guys.. and thanks for the pics sna77!
Old 10-19-2006, 09:17 PM   #8
Edison@JleviSW
1.888.JLEVISW

My Ride: BMW Duh
Send a message via AIM to Edison@JleviSW
You can unmount the ballast from the non working headlight and swap it with the working headlight to see if the problem switches sides.
Edison@JleviSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 12:12 AM   #9
v3man

how do i unmount them?
Old 10-20-2006, 06:48 AM   #10
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick@Jlevi SW View Post
You can unmount the ballast from the non working headlight and swap it with the working headlight to see if the problem switches sides.
This is exactly what I'd do.

- Take both headlights out of car
- Flip headlights over
Use a T-somethingorother Torx driver to remove the 3-4 screws holding the ballast in.
- Take good ballast and put on bad headlight. Plug in that headlight and see if it now works.

If I were a betting man, I'd say it was the ballast... I've seen more of them fail than I have ignitors... If so, you can pick a used ballast up oin ebay for about $75 or so...

My car uses this ballast, so I actually bought an extra one in case it gets burnt out etc:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/02-05...spagenameZWDVW
Old 10-20-2006, 02:55 PM   #11
v3man

how come that ballast on ebay doesn't look like the ballast in the picture?
Old 10-20-2006, 03:11 PM   #12
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
how come that ballast on ebay doesn't look like the ballast in the picture?
The ballast is different for xenons, bi-xenons, and by AL or ZKW manufacturs...

The only way to tell what you have is to take the headlights off and look at the part # labeled on the ballast
Old 10-20-2006, 04:55 PM   #13
Bodo61

My Ride: 323i
If you are saying your replaced the OEM H7 lights with HID lights what you may have done is melted the contacts. The HID lights are hotter and can melt the connecting wire post. I have seen this happen. If you wiggle the lights do they come back on?? (Not sure what lights are OEM with a 01)
Bodo61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 05:38 PM   #14
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bodo61 View Post
If you are saying your replaced the OEM H7 lights with HID lights what you may have done is melted the contacts. The HID lights are hotter and can melt the connecting wire post. I have seen this happen. If you wiggle the lights do they come back on?? (Not sure what lights are OEM with a 01)
Ewww... I HOPE you did not put HID bulbs into halogen projectors.

Are these OEM HID lights or did you do an illeagal hack retrofit?
Old 10-20-2006, 06:22 PM   #15
v3man

haha.. naw.. i have the OEM projectors.... well.. i was wondering if these would fit mine.. is there a difference between the one you linked earlier and these ones..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon...spagenameZWDVW
Old 10-20-2006, 06:49 PM   #16
sna77
OEM ///Member

Quote:
haha.. naw.. i have the OEM projectors.... well.. i was wondering if these would fit mine.. is there a difference between the one you linked earlier and these ones..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Xenon...spagenameZWDVW
I feel like I'm talking to a wall here....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77
The only way to tell what you have is to take the headlights off and look at the part # labeled on the ballast

I have no idea if those will fit? Is that what yours look like? Did you pull them out yet?

Have you done this yet? I wouldnt buy anything until I was sure what the problem was:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sna77
- Take both headlights out of car
- Flip headlights over
Use a T-somethingorother Torx driver to remove the 3-4 screws holding the ballast in.
- Take good ballast and put on bad headlight. Plug in that headlight and see if it now works.