E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > General E46 Forum

General E46 Forum
This is the place to get answers, opinions and everything you need related to your E46 (sedan, coupe, convertible and wagon) BMW!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2006, 02:12 PM   #1
tme1129

My Ride: 2000 BMW 323i Sedan
Vaccum leak under intake manifold?

hey all,

i have a 00 323i, and have had nothing but problems since the day i bought it. recently, it doesnt wanna start, and when it does the idle jumps all around and the car dies, if i start it and get it onto the road it has a severe lack of power, and when i slow to a stop light, the car dies and has trouble starting again. i jsut got a call from my local shop and they told me that my check engine light is on because of numerous misfired and fuel bank problems, and he said the reason is that i have a vaccum leak somewhere beneath my manifold. has anyone else had this problem and knows how to fix it? i dont wanna fork over 600 bucks for this repair, because as soon as its fixed im selling it. i will never own another bmw again, i bought it in Feb. and to date now have over $4K in repair bills. is this a vaccum leak, or soemthing else? thanks all, you've been a huge help getting me through the headache that is BMW.
tme1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
bmw3series
Banned

My Ride: ///M trizzle
this might sond funny but check ur o2 sensors man
bmw3series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 03:54 PM   #3
tme1129

ok i just picked the car back up, and the guy said the computer was throwing the following codes:

i also found a recall on ALLDATA for the crankcase ventilation hose replacement, which the mechanic said was the cause of the vaccum leak. i will be calling the local BMW dealership to see if my car was repaired for the recall, or if the original owners never took care of it and hopefully i can get a free repair. anyone else had these problems? i am to the point to safely say i will never buy another BMW, again thanks for all the community support.
Old 10-06-2006, 03:56 PM   #4
futurezero
Horror Business

My Ride: E92 335i|'11 Impreza
I had this same problem. It was indeed a vacuum leak around where the intake connects to the manifold. I bought a replacement hose for like $35 and put it in myself.
Old 10-06-2006, 07:59 PM   #5
Chriztofor

My Ride: 2000 323i (Auto)
if it is not a vaccuum leak then it probably is your exhaist or intake camshaft sensors. FYI, easy DIY project.
Chriztofor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2006, 08:49 AM   #6
tme1129

neo what size hose did u use? the recall doesn't apply to my code apparently, so im going to fix it myself and trade in for a 350z, shop wants about 700 to repair it.
Old 10-20-2006, 06:01 PM   #7
tme1129

ok i got the old crankcase vent hose out, rotted to hell and the plastic inside snapped while i was removing it. where can i buy a replacement? does the crankcase vent hose go from the valve cover to crankcase vent valve? or does it go from the vent valve to the crankcase? i found that www.prostreetonline.com has these hoses (search 2000 323i, its called a breather hose). im so close, some-one please help me with this little piece of info!!!
Old 10-21-2006, 10:31 AM   #8
///Mechanic

My Ride: None currently
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw3series View Post
this might sond funny but check ur o2 sensors man
Idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo|futurezero View Post
I had this same problem. It was indeed a vacuum leak around where the intake connects to the manifold. I bought a replacement hose for like $35 and put it in myself.
Your description is a good ways off, but I assume you are talking about the "recall" crankcase hose. It connects to a nimple on the intake by cylinder #5 and the other end connects to another crankcase hose that feeds into the crankcase valve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
if it is not a vaccuum leak then it probably is your exhaist or intake camshaft sensors. FYI, easy DIY project.
Another idiot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tme1129 View Post
ok i got the old crankcase vent hose out, rotted to hell and the plastic inside snapped while i was removing it. where can i buy a replacement? does the crankcase vent hose go from the valve cover to crankcase vent valve? or does it go from the vent valve to the crankcase? i found that www.prostreetonline.com has these hoses (search 2000 323i, its called a breather hose). im so close, some-one please help me with this little piece of info!!!

See my reply above. Are you talking about the crankcase hose that is under the fuel rail trim cover? Just FYI there are 4 different crankcase hoses. You aren't going to get to the other 3 without taking the airbox assembly and a few other pieces out.

At the dealership, we call this recall hose the "buttcrack hose". Where the bend in the rubber part of the line is, is the most likely place for it to collapse. It splits and folds in on itself, and looks like a butt. The oil and gas saturates the rubber and breaks it down, causing this failure. Its one of BMW's parts that they haven't mastered yet. Mostly all M54's and M62's have problems with crankcase valves and hoses.
Old 10-21-2006, 11:46 AM   #9
tme1129

yes, mechanic the one under the fuel rail cover, it had a black hose outside with a plactic tube inside, i removed it and accidently broke the plastic core piece when removing, but i assume the replacement piece includes a new plastic core. which breather hose is it? thanks
Old 10-21-2006, 11:48 AM   #10
tme1129

it is the recall crankcase hose that i removed, went from the front of the engine back near cylinder 5 as uyou described. god that would suck if i removed an broke the wrong hose.

p.s. mechanic im taking ur sig's advice, once i fix the bmw i will be selling it, too damn expensive for a 19yo college kid.
Old 10-21-2006, 03:45 PM   #11
Tom Busby

My Ride: 2001 325i, 1995 318i
Hey you are lucky to have advice from Mechanic. Here is a quote of an earlier that I saved, where Mechanic explained how to repair the pcv hoses and separator:

Besides basic handtools, you will need a torx to take the valve itself off. I want to say its a T25 (either that or a T20). A mirror and some good lighting are great also.
Before you begin, make note of the crankcase hose that goes from the valve to the valve cover. You can easily get it backwards, and it will put stress on the hose and cause early failure. Identify your new pipe, and mark if you have to.
Remove the entire intake from the filterbox down to the throttle body. If I am not mistaking, you will need to take the throttle body off too (EDK, whatever you want to call it).
Remove the fuel rail cover.
Also you are going to need to loosen the engine wiring harness bulkhead. There are 3 bolts holding it on, they are all a gold anodized finish. Once they are off, I believe all you need to do is remove it from the studs and let it hang.
Remove the oil filter cartridge. Place a rag in the canister to prevent any foreign matter from getting into an oil passage

With the steps above performed, you should be able to see most of the crankcase valve now.
One thing left blocking access to the crankcase valve.......the purge valve. Simply unplug it and slide the rubber mount off of the tab. Let it hang.

Leave the two bolts in the crankcase valve until you have removed all the hoses possible
Start at the top. There is the crankcase vent hose that runs parallel to the fuel rail......simply unscrew/unclip it from the 45 degree nimple (the connection towards the front)
Next remove the tube from the valve cover
Get a good set of pliers, and work the hose loose from the dipstick tube. It is more than likely bonded well from heat over time. Twist it, pull it, yank it.
You can probable reach down to the valve at this time and pull off at least two quick connect hose ends from the valve. Use a long thin screwdriver to help removed PITA quick connects.
At this point you might have one or two hoses still connected to the valve, but you can work it out (or just break the remaining tubes). There are two screws holding the valve to the mount on the bottom of the intake. Removed these screws and you should be home free

Note for reassembly
Put a small amount of lube (silicon or something) on each quick connect, including the tube that slides onto the dipstick. This will help assure a good connection when you are reassembling the hoses

The torx bolts are T25's, and the nuts holding the engine harness are 10mm.

Also, I don't know if I mentioned it........but remove the dipstick completely.

No need to remove the oil filter cartridge........scratch that.
Tom Busby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2006, 06:24 PM   #12
bmw3series
Banned

listen M Mechanic idiot, we had pretty much the same codes on my sisters bmw and we was indeed a vacuum leak, obd2 reader said o2 sensors.
Old 10-21-2006, 10:48 PM   #13
///Mechanic

Quote:
listen M Mechanic idiot, we had pretty much the same codes on my sisters bmw and we was indeed a vacuum leak, obd2 reader said o2 sensors.
English?
Old 10-21-2006, 10:56 PM   #14
bmw3series
Banned

Ok im sorry idiot that you couldnt put a sentence together someone wrote in a rush.

Ok revision for ///MIDIOT...

Ok here goes:

My sisters 2003 325i had the same problem. There was a vacuum leak. Anyways we changed the o2 sensors and the problem and the SES light went away also. We used a obd2 reader to diag. the problem.!!

OmGG welcome to reading moroN
Old 10-22-2006, 12:01 PM   #15
///Mechanic

Quote:
Ok im sorry idiot that you couldnt put a sentence together someone wrote in a rush.

Ok revision for ///MIDIOT...

Ok here goes:

My sisters 2003 325i had the same problem. There was a vacuum leak. Anyways we changed the o2 sensors and the problem and the SES light went away also. We used a obd2 reader to diag. the problem.!!

OmGG welcome to reading moroN

So you try to say you were in a rush, but you are more or less trying to hide that you dropped out of high school and or have some sort of learning disability. That is amplified by the remarks in which you tried to insult me. Way to go, you look even dumber than before. And to top that off, you wrote the same damn thing, which makes no sense what so ever.

And for you and all reading this that aren't too mechanically inclined, if you can make out of this guys post with what I got.........he is saying he fixed a vacuum leak with oxygen sensors, and that a diagnostic machine told him to!

I don't even know why I bother sometimes........people like this ......
Old 10-23-2006, 11:27 PM   #16
tme1129

3 series, i apprecaite your input but i located the leak, which was in the crankcase ventilation hose, as ///Mechanic suspected. is the replacement part i need called a breather hose? i really dont want to drive down to ft. pierce just to find out the name of the hose, and i dont own a bentley manual so i cant just look it up. thanks all for the help so far.
Old 10-24-2006, 05:56 PM   #17
tme1129

plzzzz someone has to know!
Old 10-24-2006, 08:14 PM   #18
///Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tme1129 View Post
plzzzz someone has to know!

I'll reiterate AGAIN.......its a crankcase hose. THERE ARE FOUR.
Old 10-25-2006, 03:28 PM   #19
tme1129

so i can go an buy a crankcase hose and ur saying it doesnt matter which one i buy because their all the same? if so then thanks, if not do u by chance know the specific part number?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:49 PM   #20
WindsorBMW325

My Ride: 325i
Hi Guys,
I too have a vacuum leak and I think is the hose as well. When I press the gas very lightly I can hear a sucking sound/whistling sound and it sounds like it is coming from the intake manifold. Just wondering if anyone else experienced the same sound.
Cheers
WindsorBMW325 is offline   Reply With Quote