E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 23 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 07-19-2011, 02:38 PM   #181
paraklas

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by clawhammer View Post
Hi,
I'm very interested with what you did, it sounds promising to me
My BM54 module is broken (I think), don't want to spend $1000 for that old stuff, nor $800 for cheap china car radio, so I'm looking for a carPC, and how to do it.
I know a lot about PC, a little about iBus (I had an intravee), but nothing on electronics. I started reading this topic and I really want to do like you !

Currently I think about some questions :
1) Where did you exactly connect the Power supply (positive and mass) on the car, I don't see this on the photos ?
On the battery directly or inside the black box ?

I have a distribution block near the battery where it feeds the carpc and the amplifier.Doesn't show in the DIY, I'll snap some pics when I do the new LCD install

2) page 4 : "Distribution block"
Is it the black box on the red positive side cable ?

No, that's the BMW "Little fusebox" contains a 150A fuse.

3) page 4 : The tiny red/black cable connected to the battery powers the CarPC ?
Seems to be a little cable no ? (I don't want to burn the car ...)

12AWG, more than enough for the computer's needs, although it has been replaced by an 8AWG wire now, that ends up in a distribution block inside the rear quarter panel that feeds the radio and the car pc - fused always.

4) Where do you take the power for the Alpine head unit ? From the 41pin bmw module in the trunk with iso adapter ?

No, as mentioned above the always on 12v of the Alpine is taken directly from the battery, no need to make loops around the car and introduce more interference. As long it is fused, no problem.

5) To turn on/off the carPC, does it rely on some 12V accessory line ?

Yes, I run a dedicated 12v switched power in a switch below the armrest so I can turn the pc off/on at any given time even if the keys are at the on position.

6) To turn on/off the amplifier, does it rely on some 12V accessory line ?

No, gets signal from the AMP output of the Alpine, since it has the Amp-On/Off feature already, I am using that. The carpc CAN control an amp too if I ever decide to remove the radio completely

7) Is it possible to use the steering wheel buttons to control the car radio AND the PC (Centrafuse for example) ?

I have the Alpine module that controls the radio. There's a USB to i-bus module to control certain features but not sure if you can have both working.

8) Did you have some sound issue (crackling or something ?) and is there a solution ?

No, no issues at all. PROPER GROUNDING IS THE KEY

9)"To make the installation as good as possible, I replaced all wiring from trunk to dash with high quality thick power wires and high quality speaker wires. Since at the trunk I have an ISO plug for the speakers, I connected the amp's high power output speaker wires to the plug, therefore eliminating the need to run new wires to the speaker network."
On the second sentence, I understand you connect the big amplifier outputs to the bmw ISO trunk connector and use the default bmw audio network cable ? So I don't understand the first sentence (sorry, english is not my native language).

I have 2 BMW ISO connectors, the first is the "default" audio/power supply network, in case I want to eliminate the Amp! The second one is the custom connector, where the power supply is from the distribution block and the rear speakers are disconnected, since they are very close to the AMP there is no need to use the BMW cables, I run my own!

Thank you very much !
(I'm going on reading, I'll update my question little by little)
No problem!!!! Glad to see the thread still alive

Last edited by paraklas; 07-19-2011 at 03:29 PM.
paraklas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 02:41 PM   #182
paraklas

And the new screen arrived today! Getting ready for more DIY!!

Old 07-27-2011, 12:38 AM   #183
paraklas

Testing...
Old 07-28-2011, 11:49 PM   #184
mofo84

My Ride: 300zx
Hi I am thinking of getting this monitor also can you give a review and some more pics please?
mofo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:22 PM   #185
04BMRE46

My Ride: 2004 325CI
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0x View Post
You, sir, are a mad scientist. Nice work.
+1. Very nice. One day I hope to have this kind of time to play with things.
04BMRE46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 10:27 AM   #186
Marinerd

My Ride: 09 328i
that screen is hugh..
Marinerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 12:08 PM   #187
paraklas

Went in last night!

The supplied cable is more than enough to reach the carpc in the trunk, so no need for USB & XGA extensions. The relatively thin cable splits at the last 3ft to give 1 DC input jack, 3x RCA Video input, 2 spare wires, 1 x 3.5mm jack for speakers (not that I used that ), VGA and USB. No need for loading touchscreen drivers again, as the existing drivers from the previous screen worked perfectly. The screen has auto-on based on signal.

I will take some pictures by the weekend, in daylight
Old 09-09-2011, 02:48 AM   #188
paraklas

The screen is simply amazing. Pictures in daylight and under direct sunlight:

Old 09-22-2011, 12:04 AM   #189
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
looks good! i'm really jealous of your trim
Old 12-18-2011, 05:49 PM   #190
philyphill112

My Ride: 00' 323ci, 145k
Amazing, if I ever start making some money I will be doing this to my car.
philyphill112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 04:59 AM   #191
paraklas

Carpc hardware updates:

Installation of an SD/MicroSD to SATA adapter that will host a 8GB microsd card with Win7 "slimmed version" and Centrafuse 4. I really don't want to go through the trouble to re-install everything if a hard drive crashes (which happened yesterday)

For media I will use a USB removable 2.5" disk 300GB capacity on silicon based bushes to cancel out road vibrations. More pictures to come once parts arrive
Old 12-29-2011, 09:55 AM   #192
B7@ckBe@uty

My Ride: 03 325XI blk on blk
Wow a truly custom job, nice work. What was the total cost in GBP? What made you decide to custom install this set up instead of going with a Dynavin win system or even better a Dynavin Android system?
B7@ckBe@uty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:31 AM   #193
lkstaack

My Ride: 04 330iZHP, 05 325iT
Quote:
Originally Posted by B7@ckBe@uty View Post
Wow a truly custom job, nice work. What was the total cost in GBP? What made you decide to custom install this set up instead of going with a Dynavin win system or even better a Dynavin Android system?
Dynavin wasn't available when Paraklas and others created their carputers. They continue to do it because Dynavin and the like do not provide the level of customization that you get with a carputer.

With a custom system, you can add whatever off the shelf software and hardware is available with a desktop/laptop; like adding BMW specific diagnostic software. However, you should be very comfortable with hardware and software because custom systems generally require periodic maintenance (such as repairing component failure). Also, unlike Dynavin, you can pay as you go; adding new components as time and money permits.

With integrated systems like Dynavin, you generally get a reliable, no-fuss product. Their capabilities are becoming more like a carputer. However, it is more limited than a carputer and sometimes is just as buggy.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #194
paraklas

^
My thoughts exactly
Old 12-30-2011, 01:19 PM   #195
mvrk10256

My Ride: E30 325i
Send a message via AIM to mvrk10256
Not that I doubt the quality or the nature of the work you have done but honest question:

What do you use this thing for?
Old 12-30-2011, 03:01 PM   #196
paraklas

-OBD2 Live data
-GPS Navigation
-BT paired with my Galaxy S2
-Video clips
-Audio
-Media can be uploaded directly via ethernet or WiFi without taking usb sticks/cd/dvd with me
-Radio over HSDPA/wifi
-Digital TV (coming soon)
-Fingerprint recognition to unlock the car (still working on it)

Everyday I spend around 3 hours in that car traveling, so I want the most the headunit can provide, plus.. i simply like the customization this setup has to offer.
Old 12-30-2011, 05:32 PM   #197
johnca
Modded ///Member

My Ride: E46 Slow CSL
well done mate love ya work
Old 02-28-2012, 11:01 PM   #198
fzheavenearth

My Ride: '02 330ci
True labor of love!
fzheavenearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #199
jammykam

My Ride: 2003 330Ci Step Vert
Finally the Raspberry Pi has been launched (and promptly sold out!).

The size and price of this (just $35/22) I think is going to make this the perfect DIYer mod.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/#foundation

I haven't looked at the carputer project in about 3-4 years now... think it's time to get my research hat on!
Old 05-14-2012, 04:10 AM   #200
ZANIESXD

My Ride: 2002 325i Sedan
beautiful. though i would personally use a mac mini with osx, and wire nothing but the monitor cable to the front and use a wireless mouse and keyboard through the built in bluetooth. so thats a custom os?
ZANIESXD is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpc, carputer