E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 24 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 03:36 PM   #201
serdar255

My Ride: '01 325ci / '90 325i
You along with LAFENGAS inspired me to do a similar project. Thank You

For coding, custom shift knobs, and vinyl stickers: PM me
serdar255 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #202
jammykam

My Ride: 2003 330Ci Step Vert
Does anyone have any links to a Linux based CarPC which integrates with iBus?

I've found the following which I need to read through...
http://projects.tevs.eu/OpenBM

Anyone have any others? My Raspberry Pi should be delivered this week so hoping to hook this up to the stock nav unit (via RCA inputs, this is taken care of) and also to iBus so can use steering wheel and radio controls (hoping this will work - did some research many years and it *should* be possible - I has a USB connector board already)

thanks
Old 06-13-2012, 08:45 PM   #203
Kstrooch

My Ride: 325ci
Holy **** nice work!
Old 06-13-2012, 08:57 PM   #204
epistaxis2008

My Ride: 2002 330ci
Wooooooow!!! What OS is that? (User interface for all sources).... Pretty cool.

Sent from my PG86100 using Bimmer App
epistaxis2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 01:17 AM   #205
ayashifx55

My Ride: M3 01
This was a great project by in the days .. today , you can just buy a netbook , hook it up at the back , remove LCd and sell on ebay. Use another external HDMI to hook on another LCD , wireless mouse + wireless keyboard + hdmi cable + usb or bluetooth GPS receiver

Last edited by ayashifx55; 06-23-2012 at 01:18 AM.
ayashifx55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 04:17 AM   #206
Toxx

My Ride: 2000 323i
Wtf did I just read
Toxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:58 AM   #207
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by ayashifx55 View Post
This was a great project by in the days .. today , you can just buy a netbook , hook it up at the back , remove LCd and sell on ebay. Use another external HDMI to hook on another LCD , wireless mouse + wireless keyboard + hdmi cable + usb or bluetooth GPS receiver
Might as well put a laser printer on the dash
Old 07-17-2012, 12:46 PM   #208
ChampionC

My Ride: 318Ci Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
The screen is simply amazing. Pictures in daylight and under direct sunlight:

Does the same Bezel work fine with really any touch screen ? I assume you do not have any need for access to the buttons which are along the bottom of the screen frame ? Or do you remove the screen from the manufacturers frame and mount onto the back of the Bezel ?

Thanks and well done on a fine job. I have a Raspberry Pi arriving in a few weeks and the Pi seems like the perfect device for a project such as this although support for the OS could be difficult until more people get access to Pi's
ChampionC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 12:46 AM   #209
paraklas
OEM ///Member

I have used this bezel with the Xenarc, Lilliput and Inelmatic 7" LCD. A good body shop can paint it whatever color you like. I prefer matte black or gloss black. On all of them, I removed the frame for proper fit. Xenarc and Inelmatic also offer their products as "frameless" versions, so removing the frame afterwards doesn't impact functionality. I use a thin strip of foam at the perimeter of the bezel LCD area so that the screen sits on an even, cushioned surface. Before installing the screen, I also apply a hard screen protector as well. All screens come with an infrared remote control (hence the holes on the bezel bottom) so all functionality is there.

For Xenarc, I disconnected the PCB with the buttons completely
For Lilliput, I had to enable the auto power on when VGA signal is received, then tucked the PCB with the buttons behind the bezel on the right side
For Inelmatic, the button PCB is still connected and tucked behind the bezel bottom as I ordered the remote-less version. I have used the buttons one time only to adjust the brightness.

Due to each screen having different layout on the back, you may need to fabricate a bracket or two to properly secure it, not something complex. The bezel I have comes with 2 mounting brackets, and a big steel cover for the rear part of the screen. For the inelmatic, I used the rear steel cover as a heatsink as well, as it touches the screen's IC in combination with some heatsink adhesive pads (like the ones we used to cool VGA memory)

Last edited by paraklas; 07-18-2012 at 12:48 AM.
paraklas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:58 AM   #210
ChampionC

My Ride: 318Ci Convertible
Thanks for that, that makes more sense now removing the housing.

I'm having a re-think of the Raspberry Pi idea given the arrival of the Android based APC

ChampionC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:42 AM   #211
paraklas
OEM ///Member

Today I just finished another Car-PC upgrade:

M4 DC-DC Power supply installed in external housing
http://www.mini-box.com/M4-ATX?sc=8&category=981

OCZ Vertex 120GB SSD Installed, Windows XP SP3 with Centrafuse 4.1

Short video demonstrating resuming from hibernation:

Full restart cycle takes around 25seconds, most of the delay in BIOS

Video was taken on my office screen hence the resolution is a bit off.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:27 AM   #212
Pho3NiX90

My Ride: E46 330i, E53 4.6IS
Wow, really great thread. Read everthing.

A question though, ordered all my part from ebay today. Do you think the elm327 bluetooth interface will work? Also, do you know where i will find the right hand drive climate control relocation unit?
Pho3NiX90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 06:36 AM   #213
Pho3NiX90

Alao, what other screen do you suggest? I cannot find the inelmatic 7"
Old 08-30-2012, 07:09 AM   #214
paraklas
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3NiX90 View Post
Wow, really great thread. Read everthing.

A question though, ordered all my part from ebay today. Do you think the elm327 bluetooth interface will work? Also, do you know where i will find the right hand drive climate control relocation unit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3NiX90 View Post
Alao, what other screen do you suggest? I cannot find the inelmatic 7"
ELM327 does work, tested.

Climate relocation unit from ebay.co.uk, quarry motors uk, or dealer

Lilliput, Xenarc and some others also make sunlight readable screens, see mp3car.com store what you can find
Old 08-30-2012, 08:15 AM   #215
Pho3NiX90

Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
ELM327 does work, tested.

Climate relocation unit from ebay.co.uk, quarry motors uk, or dealer

Lilliput, Xenarc and some others also make sunlight readable screens, see mp3car.com store what you can find
Great thanks. But was talking about the bluetooth version of odb, is it reliable. Was maybe thinking of taking of the plastic cover and connecting/soldering it in the back of the orriginal connector to make the odb completely hidden.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:52 AM   #216
gowhitehat

My Ride: E46 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxx View Post
Wtf did I just read
That just made my night.

Thanks.
gowhitehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 05:14 AM   #217
karis79

My Ride: E39 530D
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammykam View Post
Does anyone have any links to a Linux based CarPC which integrates with iBus?

I've found the following which I need to read through...
http://projects.tevs.eu/OpenBM

Anyone have any others? My Raspberry Pi should be delivered this week so hoping to hook this up to the stock nav unit (via RCA inputs, this is taken care of) and also to iBus so can use steering wheel and radio controls (hoping this will work - did some research many years and it *should* be possible - I has a USB connector board already)

thanks

I did some experiment with raspberry pi + OpenElec + XBMC + IBUS adapter and it seems to work quite well(some problems 12v->5v adapter causing usb to drop some times.. this did not happend wiht wall charger and powered usb hub).

I wrote a small linux C daemon which reads and decodes ibus and then uses uinput to inject key events to the system. That way this daemon can be used basically with any linux based sw(I think it should work also in android as a native component) which takes normal key presses. Because I wanted to keep the original navi,fm,computer etc working I wanted to use that similar way that the famous CarX used, i.e. hijacking TAPE or AUX state.

So in order to so, that daemon needed to also detect the state of the BM and you can tell it to inject key events only in certain state like TAPE or AUX. it also can handle the switching the video input only in certain state(using ibus adaptor ntsc). With those, you can hijack for example TAPE so that when you are in that mode, you see the video input from rasp and get the button presses sent to your app in rasp.

I did similar exercise few years ago with meego ivi & beagleboard but the problem with meego is that its designed for touch screen and controlling with keys was difficult. XBMC, being home theather sw, is designed to be able to control with remote control so mapping BMW wheel&boardmonitor buttons to those command should not be too difficult.
karis79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 06:13 PM   #218
jammykam

My Ride: 2003 330Ci Step Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by karis79 View Post
I did some experiment with raspberry pi + OpenElec + XBMC + IBUS adapter and it seems to work quite well(some problems 12v->5v adapter causing usb to drop some times.. this did not happend wiht wall charger and powered usb hub).

I wrote a small linux C daemon which reads and decodes ibus and then uses uinput to inject key events to the system. That way this daemon can be used basically with any linux based sw(I think it should work also in android as a native component) which takes normal key presses. Because I wanted to keep the original navi,fm,computer etc working I wanted to use that similar way that the famous CarX used, i.e. hijacking TAPE or AUX state.

So in order to so, that daemon needed to also detect the state of the BM and you can tell it to inject key events only in certain state like TAPE or AUX. it also can handle the switching the video input only in certain state(using ibus adaptor ntsc). With those, you can hijack for example TAPE so that when you are in that mode, you see the video input from rasp and get the button presses sent to your app in rasp.

I did similar exercise few years ago with meego ivi & beagleboard but the problem with meego is that its designed for touch screen and controlling with keys was difficult. XBMC, being home theather sw, is designed to be able to control with remote control so mapping BMW wheel&boardmonitor buttons to those command should not be too difficult.
Hi Karis

Just read your message fully, I've moved to Canada for about a year so my car is now tucked into the garage

But that is brilliant. It's pretty much what I was looking to so as well. I'd be very interested in the daemon that you wrote. I don't know C unfortunately, I'm a C# developer though so should be able to follow the code at least! I'd be very keen to try/install the code, if possible. Do you have it hosted or available?

I didn't know the beagleboard had been around for that long... but I've looked at a couple of other altrnatives, mainly the Gooseberry but that does not have TV Out (only HDMI). But since I do not have my car with me here I'll have to wait a while till I can do something with it.

thanks
Kam
Old 10-02-2012, 07:42 AM   #219
karis79

My Ride: E39 530D
Quote:
Originally Posted by jammykam View Post
Hi Karis

Just read your message fully, I've moved to Canada for about a year so my car is now tucked into the garage

But that is brilliant. It's pretty much what I was looking to so as well. I'd be very interested in the daemon that you wrote. I don't know C unfortunately, I'm a C# developer though so should be able to follow the code at least! I'd be very keen to try/install the code, if possible. Do you have it hosted or available?

I didn't know the beagleboard had been around for that long... but I've looked at a couple of other altrnatives, mainly the Gooseberry but that does not have TV Out (only HDMI). But since I do not have my car with me here I'll have to wait a while till I can do something with it.

thanks
Kam
Its not yet available but I'm going to put it somewhere(most likely to github) after I find just little bit more time to fine tune and clean it up.. the key is the time . Its written with very basic C so its easy to follow.

I installed it in to OpenElec XBMC build by creating the scripts for my component and building it with these instructions: http://wiki.openelec.tv/index.php?ti...r_Raspberry_Pi. I can also share these scripts if you want to try it with openelec. (you might want to wait until turbo mode is included in openelec build: http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/2008)

I had the beagleboard rev c which was introduced May 2009. I tried that at the beginning of 2011 so less than couple of years
karis79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:15 PM   #220
webdj

My Ride: e38
Hi. sorry for my english.
I have Raspberry Pi.
I want use Raspberry Pi in my BMW E38
I connect Paspi with video, audio and install xbmc, but i have problem with connect to car controls
i have ibus adapter.
can you share linux daemom?
webdj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpc, carputer