E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-01-2009, 06:03 PM   #101
tupeu

My Ride: BMW E46
thanks for quick reply, and no, not just for 1 wire less but for the clear sound, but if the aux is crystal clear, then I will go for that , thanks

the mac mini is more simple for me to buy, is powerfull, very small, and its not so bulky as you say, I study it, first I wanted to fit it in the glovebox, but your ideea to put it under the passenger seat is excelent. I will look forward to what you said and hope I will find the right place

later edit: Mac mini is 2 inch tall and 6.5 inch square anodized aluminum enclosure

Last edited by tupeu; 01-01-2009 at 06:08 PM.
tupeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:55 PM   #102
HAMMAN330CI

My Ride: 330CI
centrafuse what version is it?
HAMMAN330CI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 09:37 AM   #103
WidowFactory

My Ride: '99 328i
Hi im interested in doing something similar to this, the only thing I am confused about is how you connected the PC to the battery & ignition. Is this something to do with the steering wheel adapter? I dont have a remote control steering wheel so i am unsure if i need this adapter or not. Thanks
WidowFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 10:02 AM   #104
paraklas
OEM ///Member

My Ride: ESS TS2 320ci
I am using a specific power supply for automotive use.

Takes 3 inputs: Constant 12v (fused straight feed from battery)
Switched 12v (This is for the ON/OFF Signal. Connect to ignition 12v or to Headunit's switched 12v output if you want the carpc to shut down when you turn off the radio, or straight feed from battery with a switch so that the pc turns on whenever you want.) Personally, I use the headunit's 12v switched output AND a switch to have all the options available to me.
Ground: Connect at chassis using the shortest cable possible.

The PSU apart from the power cables, also connects to the motherboard's ON/OFF pins. This is where you can define through windows what to do when the power button (switched 12v) is pressed. I have it to hibernate

The PSU has jumpers on it where you define the countdown time to shutdown, if there's an amp present to prevent a "pop" sound when it turns on etc.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:29 AM   #105
WidowFactory

My Ride: '99 328i
Ok thanks I understand now.

I have done some research into the BMW -> ISO converter, is this the correct pin layout for the ISO plugs (connectors A and B):

http://www.isham-research.co.uk/quat...85/isopin.html
WidowFactory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009, 02:41 PM   #106
stevire

My Ride: E46 320d SE
Is the amp and radio really necessary? Could the system not be connected up to the current sound system?

Excellent job btw! Now to replicate that in my car! Where'd u get the lil keyboard?
stevire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:05 AM   #107
paraklas
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevire View Post
Is the amp and radio really necessary? Could the system not be connected up to the current sound system?

Excellent job btw! Now to replicate that in my car! Where'd u get the lil keyboard?
As I wrote before, you can still use the OEM headunit as long as you find a place to put it. You can fit it in the glovebox but then again, how are you going to change input source, in case you want to listen to FM radio/CD?

As you see, I didn't go to expensive aftermarket headunits for the project. The Alpine cost around $170 from ebay and it plays mp3, has ipod input, can be split, is more powerfull than OEM (in case you don't want an amp), has the interface to work with the steering wheel (additional $40), etc etc.

An alternative solution is to use a PCI radio card and an amp and get rid of the headunit completely
Old 04-03-2009, 03:51 AM   #108
stevire

My Ride: E46 320d SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by paraklas View Post
An alternative solution is to use a PCI radio card and an amp and get rid of the headunit completely
This was the route I was gonna go for, the only problem then is the steering wheel controls to PCI. Haven't seen it done before, not to say it can't be done!

Wouldn't mind buying a decent headunit, I'd just have my doubts about finding space. I'd like to keep the center console as is. But could possible hook it up under the driver/passenger seat?
stevire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 08:21 AM   #109
paraklas
OEM ///Member

Yup you can hook it there or if you are good with fabricating stuff (and no smoker) you can put the radio faceplate in the ashtray compartment. I would have gone that route but I prefered the centre console (more like McLaren F1 style). The Euro versions E46s have the secret compartment on the left of the steering wheel below the LCM which is also 1-DIN width / Depth, meaning you can mount the headunit there as well!!!!
Old 05-08-2009, 12:55 PM   #110
AndyMDass

My Ride: 2001 330i
What OBDII software did you use?
AndyMDass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2009, 01:29 PM   #111
paraklas
OEM ///Member

Centrafuse has an OBDII plug-in which works with the cheap ELM327 hardware interface easily found on ebay
Old 05-08-2009, 01:53 PM   #112
j suede

My Ride: 2004 330i zhp
wow.
j suede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 10:11 PM   #113
jboat

My Ride: 2002 LSB E46 M3
Sweet Jesus! Unbelievable DIY, You work for NASA or something? One question, I see in all your photos of the software that the Engine Sensors information all show "N/A" Is it possible to actually show some of that information, is this something separate you need to hookup, etc.... Also, think you should find someone that can do the cosmetic work/alterations, just to save you that time, and open a shop, I'd be first one in your door.
Old 06-29-2009, 10:16 PM   #114
Adrenaline10

My Ride: 02 330i
Crazy. Just a little jealous and by little I mean alot!
Old 06-30-2009, 05:08 AM   #115
paraklas
OEM ///Member

The engine sensors say N/a because the time that I took the photo I did not have the OBDII module installed. A $40 OBDII hardware from ebay using the ELM327 chip will work with the system. It can be permanently plugged in the OBDII port.
Old 06-30-2009, 09:23 AM   #116
bmwguy330

My Ride: 2001 bmw 330ci
Send a message via MSN to bmwguy330
for internet could you use a internet air card like from sprint,verizon ect.?
bmwguy330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 09:45 AM   #117
gavin877

My Ride: 2002 E46 318CI
genius you are either

A) someone with way too much time on your hands

B) a virgin

but ur are udoubtedly a legend ,,

and it should be stickied as the best mod ever
gavin877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #118
paraklas
OEM ///Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguy330 View Post
for internet could you use a internet air card like from sprint,verizon ect.?
I don't know about wireless internet options there, but over here, I can put a Wireless 3G/GPRS USB Modem and enjoy internet everywhere, I really like listening to di.fm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavin877 View Post
genius you are either

A) someone with way too much time on your hands

B) a virgin

but ur are udoubtedly a legend ,,

and it should be stickied as the best mod ever
Lol, none of the above I'm an underpaid IT Administrator & engaged too Currently struggling with setting up the company's new Oracle database & servers. Maybe I'll put a rack inside my trunk too

Without a doubt this project took a while to complete but it has been running for 3 years with a 5 year old 60GB Fujitsu 2.5" hard disk, everyday, summer+winter. I did change the motherboard though to a faster one from Intel with a 1.8GHz celeron CPU. I might consider using a motherboard with an Intel Dual Atom CPU, which supposely uses less power and is more efficient than my current celeron. The 7" xenarc TFT shows some signs of age such as reduced brightness and a couple of dead pixels but nothing to make me throw $700 to get the new transflective LED version.

Last edited by paraklas; 06-30-2009 at 04:08 PM.
paraklas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 10:31 PM   #119
nuc1

My Ride: money hole
Might be an ignorant question, but is there any way to get fm/am without having a separate tuner? Would be cool to just have the touchscreen up front...and be able to access the tuner via the touchscreen.

Mike
Old 06-30-2009, 10:39 PM   #120
2005M3Driver

My Ride: Boosted 2005 M3
Too many wires for me, but nice setup!

IMG_3726 by 2005M3Driver, on Flickr

Sponsors:
Mothers® Polishes·Waxes·Cleaners
Mishimoto
2005M3Driver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
carpc, carputer