E46 Fanatics Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

DIY: Parking Brake Adjustment

13K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  chudzikb 
#1 ·
Here is a DIY to tighten up the parking break.

If you are not the first owner, make sure your parking brake shoes aren't worn off. Gently pull up on the ebrake while driving slowly. DO NOT RELEASE THE LATCH BUTTON! If it squeals and scratches like metal on metal, probably time for new shoes, and or resurfacing the rotor drums.

The console way is easier, but jack up the car and put it in neutral to make sure that they both stop rotating at the same click.

The easiest way is to adjust it from the cabin. Pull up your leather/pleather boot, and use a 10mm deep socket to tighten the two nuts there. Be sure to tighten them evenly, one goes to right rear and the other the left rear.

The harder way is to jack up back of car, remove one wheel bolt, and stick a screwdriver into hold to turn adjuster. Here are the steps involved:

1) pull ebrake boot and loosen both bolts all the way
2) jack up rear wheel (or whole rear of car to do both wheels)
3) remove wheel bolt
4) turn wheel so removed bolt is 65 degrees off centerline (towards back of car)
5) turn adjuster all the way until you can't move wheel
6) back adjuster off 10 clicks
7) reintall wheel bolt
8) pull ebrake two clicks
9) tighten nuts until the wheels barely turn, with some resistance
10) reinstall ebrake boot

Pictures with the wheel and rotor removed.

When adjusting the parking brake shoes, keep this in mind.
On the right wheel: down and towards the front to tighten (expand the shoes).
On the left wheel: up and towards the back to tighten.

This document also describes it well.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I did mine a couple of weeks ago, and forgot to post my experiences. It was bad! Tried the traditional adjustment process, nothing, not a bit of change. Tore the whole thing apart, found the "expanding locking clips" to be rusted shut, and non-functional. Actually, I found everything to be rusted beyond belief! The car was a NY car, the brakes must have seen a lot of salt.

Took my time, replaced all pieces in the rear ebrakes. As well as the rotors and pads at all corners. Those springs on the rear pads are a true PITA. There is a reason I hate drum brakes, and those springs would be it... Thankfully, the ebrake cables were functional and did not need to be replaced. Took a couple of adjustments to get it right where it worked perfectly. But, it does now, and for that I am thankful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.