E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Other BMW Models > General BMW Model Discussion

General BMW Model Discussion
All non E46 BMW model questions in here. Look below for E36, E90 and F30 specific forum. For additional model specific forums check out bimmerfest.com!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2006, 10:48 AM   #1
gwatson

My Ride: BMW Z4 3.0
SC'd Z4 or Z4M

As many of you know I have my name on the list for a ESS Twin Screw supercharger...but...

I drove a Z4M back in April and really enjoyed it, but wasn't prepared to pay ***163;45k for one, but I think by the middle of next year I'll be able to pick a used one up for say ***163;31K privately.

Should I sell me Z4 3.0 and upgrade to a Z4M

or...

Continue to supercharge my Z4 to 320bhp with a potential 350bhp.

The way I see it...

Benefits of my Z4 3.0
- I think it looks better, can't better Sterling grey, with clear front lights, Aero bumper and 107 alloys
- Cheaper for the same power
- Cheaper running costs, fuel, servicing etc
- Can easily remove SC when selling the car
- However my nearest ESS dealer is over 600 miles away should there be a problem.

Benefit of the Z4M
- Will have 2 years warranty left
- Standard car
- Better brakes, suspension, diff etc.
- Insurance will be the same, but easier to organise than a SC'd car.
- Worth more in 3 years
- Sounds great
- Starting to like the interior more and more...
- Steering feels much better...

My mate said to me this morning "You haven't lives unless you've owned M Power" Smile

Before fully commiting to the Twin Screw I drove another Z4M this morning at my local dealer. So what do I think...well I still haven't made my mind up.... The brakes are awesome (CSL brakes), the steering is just amazing, how the Z4 should have been. The engine is gorgeous, sounds fantastic and doesn't lack torque at all.

I still don't think it looks as good as my Z4, it sits so much higher, it would need to be lowered or lower profile tyres at least. Maybe CSL rims would look better. It's def a fantastic piece of kit... I just don't know if I'd make the most of the brakes, diff etc etc, I don't do track days, partially to my location a) 120 miles from my nearest track and every country road round me is empty, so I have my own track Smile

So what am I gonna do now.... I DON'T KNOW

The car was reading 15.4mpg when I got in, I reset it and ended up a 21mpg by the end of a fairly good thrashing. Now that probably doesn't sound bad but you American's remember we pay $7.83 a gallon of fuel.... See where I am coming from??

I am gonna wait until the Twin Screw TS videos and reviews are out then make my mind up.

Everyone on the Z4um.com says get the Z4M and get the entire package, not just a quick engine, but would welcome comments from here.

G

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-15-2006, 12:33 AM   #2
der Fahrer

My Ride: M
Where are the pics of your car? What year is it?

Since you'd be buying the "same" car that you currently have, it's possible you could be out of a lot of money if in 1 or 2 years you want a complete change. If you went with the supercharger, you could play with that for a while and if you have to sell...it's no biggie.

I'm thinking about getting a Z4 mid next year and I'm considering the cost advantages of buying a 2003 vs. the cool factor of a 2006 coupe.
Old 10-15-2006, 02:54 AM   #3
Valentino Rossi

My Ride: 2005 Imola Red ///M3
How about SC'ing a Z4M?
Old 10-15-2006, 03:32 AM   #4
deafboy

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
^

i like that idea.
deafboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:24 AM   #5
gwatson

Quote:
Where are the pics of your car? What year is it?
It's a 2003 and just posted these pictures. Hope to keep the car for another 3/4 years, until the time comes when I need more seats

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=410977
Old 10-15-2006, 11:13 AM   #6
der Fahrer

My Ride: M
Wow you have the aero kit and sport seats...very nice. Did you upgrade your headlights and seats or were those available in Europe as 2003 options? I'd like to know where to pick up those seats...
Old 10-15-2006, 01:19 PM   #7
gwatson

Quote:
id you upgrade your headlights and seats or were those available in Europe as 2003 options? I
Yeap upgraded both... two of the best cosmetic mods I've done. I got very very lucky with the M sports seat, I've only ever seen one pair for sale, and I have them I had to import them from Germany. The guy bought a new Z4 then stripped it for track use, hence two spare seats.
Old 10-15-2006, 03:26 PM   #8
iygnitna

My Ride: is blue
that's one of the best looking z4 i've seen! typically i'd say go with the z4m cause it's a m car but i dunno, i'd have a hard time choosing too if i had your car. i guess if you want to be unique, then go with the sc. again, great looking car hope you figure out what to do, definitely not an easy choice.
iygnitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 10:55 PM   #9
ironicdesigns
Account Under Review

My Ride: 335i
Send a message via ICQ to ironicdesigns Send a message via AIM to ironicdesigns Send a message via MSN to ironicdesigns Send a message via Yahoo to ironicdesigns
i think it depends on your long term goals with the car, fi you're going to keep it or not. the z4m, i'd think would be a performer though, and the wheel gap can be taken care off - start a new project...
ironicdesigns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 11:09 PM   #10
BruceWonder

My Ride: 2011.5 E92 M3
i say SC it..will...every body will envy a SC'd car
Old 10-16-2006, 08:35 AM   #11
Z4EC
Banned

My Ride: Z4
Quote:
Originally Posted by teammojo View Post
i say SC it..will...every body will envy a SC'd car

Unless you drive an N/A car that's still quicker than the other SC'd car. Then you laugh at the SC'd car and say it's a POS.
Z4EC is offline   Reply With Quote