E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-11-2015, 11:00 AM   #1
LuckyKilla

My Ride: 2001325CI
My 2001 325ci Garage report/build...

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read ANOTHER build....

I would like to also thanks this site and all the active members that contribute. I've owned a variety of cars throughout my life starting from 1981 Foxbody Mustang for my first car. I grew up in a NAPA complete auto-care center that my Grandfather and his brother owned. From a very young age I was very active working ( more like getting into trouble ) in the garage and the machine shop. My grandfather was born in 1901 so its wasn't a big deal to have a 7 year old changing oil and turning rotors in his shop, mind you this was 1980 also. Once I could drive I went through many different types of cars from either upgrading or just flat out following friends in styles and trends. Always buying clunkers throughout and flipping them into modded freaks or just quick flips. So you could say I've owned, drove, and worked on a plethora of cars from many American and Japanese manufactures and One Audi. Once I got married in 2001 most of the car the car fun and rally fun came to a screeching halt. Pretty much settled for Honda's and a Ford Focus that was a stock hatch back. While married I many times opted to have a shop do most the work and or maintenance on the cars I owned during that time as I was to busy starting and building a C.N.C. Machine shop. Sadly in 2012 my marriage came to a end and I sold my Focus which at the time had over 300k with only maintenance tires and not a single clutch but the one that originally came in it. With absolutely no cash flow I had to find something to haul my butt around in and I bought a 2003 Mitsubishi Lancer ES with 240k on it. So cars and driving had just become something that was a necessity not a passion for me anymore. Needless to say the Lancer was rough and needed some maintenance but minimal. Which I did all myself. Drove the hell out of the Lancer for 2 years, and the last year with my Girlfriend asking me when I was going to get something better. Then in the beginning of February a proposal was submitted to me from my Girlfriend. Her fathers mother was at a point where she couldn't drive anymore and had my now 2001 325ci just sitting there rotting in the dessert sun. So she paid for me to have the first oil change done and at that time she also paid to have the Valve cover gasket changed and a complete vehicle inspection done on it by the shop of my choice. To say the least the report came back with a whole host of symptoms wrong with the car, but nothing serious with the engine or transmission. So with report in hand I offered to pay her 2k for the car and she would have no part of taking any money from me for the car due to the poor shape it was in. So 2 months and 7500 miles I have started the long road to re freshen this car that I have fallen in love with. To say the least this car has renewed my passion for cars and driving. So begins my build and rebirth...

So here she is the first day I brought her to my shop...

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-11-2015, 11:54 AM   #2
LuckyKilla

So during the 2 month I started the maintenance work to get her in proper working condition.

Oil Change ( per OMS )
Valve cover gasket ( per OMS )
Spark plugs
Air Filter K&N drop in
Fresh Air Cabin filter
Cleaned ICV DISA & MAF
Cleaned all electrical fittings ( per E46Fanactics thread )
Changed Rear Differential oil ( Royal Purple )
Replace broken window cluster ( driver side )
Replace power steering cap, Expansion tank cap, windshield cleaner reservoir cap
Replaced broken windshield wiper motor
Replaced broken airbag button
New front BMW badge
New Michelin AS Sports 245's on the rear =)
Oil filter housing gasket
Front Control arm bushings
Full Coolant system refresh ( per E46fanatics thread ) with Stewart water pump.
Started and finished most of the carbon fiber wrap planned for interior. Also wrapped all my loose hanging Pillars.
New center cup holder
2 new back 6.5 sub speakers
Tinted windows ( per California Wrap )
Just this past Friday preformed her second oil change and replaced faulty oil level sensor in the bottom of the oil pan.

current state:

When a idler pulley goes bad =)

Some interior work finished:

Pillars wrapped:

Detailed engine bay:

Work preformed with my son this past Friday:

Now that I have started this build I'll start photoing all parts and work preformed =)
Old 04-11-2015, 03:56 PM   #3
Davconelectric

My Ride: Mainly cars
What plans do you have?
Old 04-14-2015, 01:52 PM   #4
LuckyKilla

I plan to get all the maintenance up to par and get her to tip top working conditions before I start on any mods. I do want 18inch OZ supertrimos eventually headlight and tail light mods. Then well start looking at performance mods... I really like the stock front ends of my car so I'm not going to put on a Mtech bumper or anything like that...
Old 04-14-2015, 01:55 PM   #5
LuckyKilla

So I ended up spending my Sunday replacing my old worn Motor mounts...

Old mount:

New mount:

All and all a fairly easy job about two hours... Was tricky without a engine bar, but figured it out anyways...

Last edited by LuckyKilla; 04-14-2015 at 03:16 PM.
LuckyKilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 01:59 PM   #6
LuckyKilla

Yesterday after work I replaced the front Struts with Koni Sports...

With new Motor Mounts and Struts the car drives and handles like a DREAM...
Oh I also forgot I Installed a new Battery on Thursday before I picked up my son...

Next project in store is a New Fuel pump and Fuel Filter...
Old 04-17-2015, 11:52 AM   #7
LuckyKilla

Replaced my sway Bar links during my first break... Replace with Meyle HD

Sway Bar Link:

Complete with new Strut =)

Fuel Filter aand Pump today after work =)
Old 04-26-2015, 12:14 PM   #8
LuckyKilla

So I went ahead and change the fuel filter Friday the 17th, but however did not do the Fuel pump. I did though replace all the fuel lines, clamps, and vacuum line associated with the fuel filter. Also replaced the small bit of vacuum at the F tube on the upper Air boot.

Fuel Filter

Haven't been feeling the best the past week. Hope to be able to do some more work this coming week....

Last edited by LuckyKilla; 04-26-2015 at 12:14 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:15 PM   #9
Vader

My Ride: E46 Touring, E36 328
You've been making some good progress so far. Good job.

E36 328i - Canyonrot Metallic | OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | M3 Contours | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |
E46 325xi Touring - Orientblau Metallic

Founding Member of the Canyonrot Club #343!

Canadian Alpina Forum
Vader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015, 02:05 PM   #10
LuckyKilla

Thanks Vader! I'm solely concentrating on getting her in tip top mechanical and operating condition, before proceeding with mods. I'd rather be driving something that isn't a clunker under the cheap modded look. Since this car is my DD and I have a fairly long commute everyday to work. I'd rather have piece of mind before looking pimped out =) Don't get me wrong though I'm very much planning my mods and doing the leg work so once all the work is finished I can start making her looking mean... Thanks a bunch for taking the time to check out my thread...
Old 04-27-2015, 02:48 PM   #11
Vader

Thats definitely a good idea! Reliability is very important.

How difficult did you find the engine mounts?

E36 328i - Canyonrot Metallic | OE M3 Bumper | M3 Mirrors | Jim Conforti CF CAI | UUC Motorwerks Underdrive Pulleys | M3 Contours | Koni Sport Springs & Shocks |

Canadian Alpina Forum
Old 04-27-2015, 03:22 PM   #12
LuckyKilla

The motor mounts were a fairly easy job. Could easily be done in a short couple of hours. Do the driver side first and just bolt the brand new mount on, then lift the motor til you see it wanting to lift the car. Once you're at that point use you factory car jack that came with your car and wedge it between the motor mount arm and block on the passenger side and open it up so you can get the motor to lean back toward the driver side to get the passenger side off and on... Was a world of difference once I replaced the Motor mounts...
Old 04-27-2015, 06:00 PM   #13
peytonracer4
:D

My Ride: '00 328i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyKilla View Post
The motor mounts were a fairly easy job. Could easily be done in a short couple of hours. Do the driver side first and just bolt the brand new mount on, then lift the motor til you see it wanting to lift the car. Once you're at that point use you factory car jack that came with your car and wedge it between the motor mount arm and block on the passenger side and open it up so you can get the motor to lean back toward the driver side to get the passenger side off and on... Was a world of difference once I replaced the Motor mounts...
what was the difference? how was it better once they were replaced?
peytonracer4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 08:38 PM   #14
LuckyKilla

The rolling motion like as the car was a boat, rolling on waves was gone. The mysterious humm I would get from 40-60 at random time for no particulate rhyme or reason no longer exist. Prior to that I had replace the front Control arms Bushings and my whole front end still was not right. The FCAB fixed the hirky jerky motion in the wheels every time I braked under any pressure.. Still I knew the car was far from right. So I had my son for his spring break and I had decided we would do some work on the car during that time. Motor mounts was one of the task finished =) after we did the Motor mounts we had to drive back to my house from my shop, which is a 45 mile drive. The route consist of a 8 mile curvy bump hill road to the 15 then up the 15 for about a half hour since we didn't hit traffic. Through both terrains I felt and notice a far more solid in touch with road car. Even at idle you wouldn't know the car was running no vibration at all. BE CAREFUL! when you lift the engine to spot every thing on the upper engine and sides when lifting the engine up as to be sure not to crack crush or break anything. Rushing this Job would serve no value its four bolts. Take your time and TAKE ALL SAFETY precautions and measures.
Old 05-01-2015, 03:34 PM   #15
LuckyKilla

So it took me almost 2 weeks but I finaly did put my new fuel pump in today at lunch break =) Fairly easy job...

out with the old!

in with the new!
Old 05-14-2015, 11:14 AM   #16
LuckyKilla

So yesterday at lunch I replaced my tie rods and had my car aligned... Each time I do something she gains her spirit back a bit more... Very pleased with how everything is coming.... Next will be my Transmission service....

New Ties Rods:

Last edited by LuckyKilla; 05-14-2015 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:56 PM   #17
Inema69

My Ride: 2003 325i
Great planning and progress.
In no time she'll be in great functioning mode and then the fun begins!
Inema69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 03:02 PM   #18
LuckyKilla

Thanks Ineman!

Well I got my new shift knob in today and decided to throw her in the car.... Now I have no old aged cracking wood....

New Shift Knob:

out with the old:

now the interior is all tied together for now ;P
Old 05-15-2015, 10:17 AM   #19
Vader

Im a real fan of the wood finish, but the new leather one looks good.

Canadian Alpina Forum
Old 05-15-2015, 10:36 AM   #20
LuckyKilla

^ Yeah I liked it too. But I want a more sporty look with this car and prefer the wrap over the wood... If it was a E60 I probably would have left the wood... I still plan to wrap the Steering wheel and get a Nav and relocate my Hvac and replace all the original speakers as well. So I'm far from done with modding the interior... Thanks a bunch for following brother...