E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > DIY: Do It Yourself

DIY: Do It Yourself
Post here to share or improve your wrench turning skills! All BMW E46 DIY tips, tales, and projects discussed inside. Learn to work on your car and know the right BMW parts you will need!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 10-25-2006, 04:53 PM   #1
geri

My Ride: 06 330ci / 02 330xit
325/330 ECU Reflash Need Expert GT1 Help

I recently swapped a 330 motor (and more) into my 325xit and I need to reflash the ECU. Surprisingly I havenít been able to find anyone here in the S.F. Bay area who says they can actually do it.

A couple people have said that they would be willing to try, and I have also been offered the use of a GT1 by a couple of friends with shops, but the procedure remains a mystery. All I have done before with a GT1 is relatively simple diagnostics.

So, Iím wondering if there anybody out there who can tell me in detail what I need to do to reprogram the ECU. I'd like ti do it myself or at least know enough to be able to tell these guys what to do. Reading the manuals hasnít been much help and I donít have unlimited access to these machines to just mess around and figure it out.

Alternatively, does anyone know someone who has done this sort of ECU flash that I can contact?

Please donít suggest I contact ESS for this service. I have already done so and they are my backup position. Iíd prefer to do the job myself and I would prefer not to have to ship the unit. Also, with the added performance software they want to sell me it's a lot of money.

BTW the car runs very well (with only an occasional transient code) using the old software and MAF. It can only get better with the proper software and MAF.
geri is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:00 PM   #2
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
This is not a typical DIY job. Take it to either a good independant shop that knows what they are doing or a dealership <-- I know not your best bet but they would easily have a donor car in their service bay to copy all the coding data from.

I'm not sure what the coding entails but for my 5 speed swap I know they coded the DME, and ZCS (Central Body Electronics) But I'm sure an engine swap coding job is a little more involved.

Just call around and ask what there rate is and their estimate on how long it will take.

Jared
Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 11:37 PM   #3
geri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivegotissues666 View Post
This is not a typical DIY job. Take it to either a good independant shop that knows what they are doing or a dealership <-- I know not your best bet but they would easily have a donor car in their service bay to copy all the coding data from.

I'm not sure what the coding entails but for my 5 speed swap I know they coded the DME, and ZCS (Central Body Electronics) But I'm sure an engine swap coding job is a little more involved.

Just call around and ask what there rate is and their estimate on how long it will take.

Jared

Thanks, I appreciate your desire to be of help but I think you're kinda missing the point of my post. Yep, it's not your typical DIY so perhaps I should have posted under another heading; but this is not your typical shop job either.

As mentioned I have talked to nearly a dozen of the best shops in the area, and I know several of the owners and the techs pretty well. After I made the original post I talked with two local dealers. The first said they wouldn't even attempt it and the second wasn't aware that it could be done. I often find that I know more about this than quite a few of the people I have talked to.

By postingt I hoped I might hear from a tech who has done this job or someone who knows a pro I might talk to about doing the job. I'm pretty confident that I could figure out how to accomplish what I want (as are some of those I know, but why reinvent the wheel.

BTW your AT to MT swap involves as much or more programming than my engine swap because, as you seem to recognize, you have to deal with more than just engine management.
Old 10-26-2006, 08:11 AM   #4
dirty330

My Ride: 2001 330ci
I dont know who told you that this is possible to do with a gt1 but you have been lied to.As soon as you hook up a gt1 or sss it does an automatic id.So it knows what dme is in the car.As far as using values from another car that is also impossible.You can not sopy values from one dme to another.So the dealer is not going to be able to do anything unless you put the rigth dme into the car.So if what your saying is true about your car running right then just put some electrical tape over your check engine light untill you get the rigth dme.
dirty330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 09:15 AM   #5
geri

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty330 View Post
I dont know who told you that this is possible to do with a gt1 but you have been lied to.As soon as you hook up a gt1 or sss it does an automatic id.So it knows what dme is in the car.As far as using values from another car that is also impossible.You can not sopy values from one dme to another.So the dealer is not going to be able to do anything unless you put the rigth dme into the car.So if what your saying is true about your car running right then just put some electrical tape over your check engine light untill you get the rigth dme.
I am not sure why people with limited information feel the need to offer cynical "corrections". I can't say with 100% assurance that the recoding that is going on is being done with a GT1 but my limited experiance with the device, study of the manuals and discussion with indicates that it is. The ECU in my 02 325 is identical to the ECU in your 01 330, both use the same EMS, just the coded (recodable) values are different. WHAT I NEED IS ALREADY BEING DONE BY OTHERS IN OTHER PARTS OF THE COUNTRY (Europe as well). I am just looking to communicate with someone in detail about how they are doing it.

Last edited by geri; 10-26-2006 at 09:39 AM.
Old 10-26-2006, 10:19 AM   #6
dirty330

My Ride: 2001 330ci
Hey man im trying to help you.your the one with the problem.You think that you cant get a 330 dme.Well it is possible if you get the ews module out of the same car so the vin and rolling code match.This will allow the car to start.Now it will be possible to reprog the one you have now but there is noway you can use a current version of gt1 software.But however with an older software version it is possible version 44.0 or earlier. But you will also need the values to be loaded into the gt1 so they can be loaded into dme.I will look into getting you those values.If you have any other questions let me know I will be happy to use my UNLIMITED resources to try and fig out any problems
dirty330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 10:42 AM   #7
Ivegotissues666

My Ride: 88' BMW E30 SETA
Send a message via AIM to Ivegotissues666
Quote:
Originally Posted by geri View Post
Thanks, I appreciate your desire to be of help but I think you're kinda missing the point of my post. Yep, it's not your typical DIY so perhaps I should have posted under another heading; but this is not your typical shop job either.

As mentioned I have talked to nearly a dozen of the best shops in the area, and I know several of the owners and the techs pretty well. After I made the original post I talked with two local dealers. The first said they wouldn't even attempt it and the second wasn't aware that it could be done. I often find that I know more about this than quite a few of the people I have talked to.

By postingt I hoped I might hear from a tech who has done this job or someone who knows a pro I might talk to about doing the job. I'm pretty confident that I could figure out how to accomplish what I want (as are some of those I know, but why reinvent the wheel.

BTW your AT to MT swap involves as much or more programming than my engine swap because, as you seem to recognize, you have to deal with more than just engine management.
Well the shop I used was only run by 2 guys, and they didn't do coding for my particular application on an e46 until I dropped my car off and everything went well except I need my DSC module recoded. But like someone else mentioned it would probably be easier to have just gotten the 330 ECU etc..

However Good Luck to you whichever path you decde to go, and keep us updated.

Jared
Ivegotissues666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2006, 11:20 PM   #8
geri

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty330 View Post
Hey man im trying to help you.your the one with the problem.You think that you cant get a 330 dme.Well it is possible if you get the ews module out of the same car so the vin and rolling code match.This will allow the car to start.Now it will be possible to reprog the one you have now but there is noway you can use a current version of gt1 software.But however with an older software version it is possible version 44.0 or earlier. But you will also need the values to be loaded into the gt1 so they can be loaded into dme.I will look into getting you those values.If you have any other questions let me know I will be happy to use my UNLIMITED resources to try and fig out any problems
I appreciate your offer of help, really I do, but your first post appeared not understand what I was trying to do and seemed to reject it out of hand.

I've never said that I couldn't get a "330 DME" but the best information I have is that I don't need another DME. Even If I did get another one I would have to buy a brand new or reconditioned unit and then add the EMS programming to it. The best price I found is about 600 dollars for a reconditioned DME. This is the same amount that ESS wants to charge for the recoding AND their performance software. I can always do this if I have to but I would rather spend most of that money on other things for the car.

I'm not sure what you mean about getting a another DME and EWS. Sounds like you are suggesting salvage but my understanding is that the cluster and LCM have to match as well or the car will not run. It is not really clear from your post what you mean about reprogramming another DME and EWS. Are you saying they can be used and then mated to the other modules?

I will check to see what GT1 software my guys are using. It sounds like you are saying that the older GT1 sotware will alllow manual input while the newer will not. Any specifics as to input values or proceedure is most welcome.
Old 10-26-2006, 11:30 PM   #9
geri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivegotissues666 View Post
Well the shop I used was only run by 2 guys, and they didn't do coding for my particular application on an e46 until I dropped my car off and everything went well except I need my DSC module recoded. But like someone else mentioned it would probably be easier to have just gotten the 330 ECU etc..

However Good Luck to you whichever path you decde to go, and keep us updated.

Jared
Jared,

If you did a 330 into your 323 then yours was more complicated than mine since the EMS systems are not the same generation. My car and new engine are the same so it should be relatively easy.

Do you mind saying who did your car? I'd be up for giving them a call.

Thanks
Old 01-31-2010, 04:14 AM   #10
jfman

My Ride: 325xit 5spd, E39 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by geri View Post

BTW the car runs very well (with only an occasional transient code) using the old software and MAF. It can only get better with the proper software and MAF.

so you are still running the 325i maf?
Old 02-13-2010, 01:08 PM   #11
330Noobie

My Ride: 2004 330Ci
u definitely don't need a matching cluster or lcm to get ur car running, if ur cluster is wrong u will get a manipulation dot but it will run and critical information is stored in ur lcm i.e. mileage and stuff but it also doesn't need that to run, u do however need a matching dme and ews or they're not gona send the right messages to each other and the car won't start, i am a tech and i've never heard of this being done before, also GT1's aren't wat u use for programming or coding, u use progman, u will use the Gt1 to sync up ur dme and ews however, sorry i couldn't b of more help, keep searching tho u'll find someone who's done it