E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2002, 07:18 PM   #1
giambi77

My Ride: OB 2001 330ci
Send a message via AIM to giambi77
Cool Getting into some I.C.E.

I recently got an Orient Blue 330ci, and it came with the premium sound package. The mids and highs are good for now, but I was looking for a little more bass. I would be most happy with a single sub, either 10" or 12" would be fine. I have heard that JL Audio is one of the best makers for decent mid-level subwoofers.

Basically, I am wondering which of the JL Audio subs I should get, and what Amp I should get to power the sub. I don't want any obtrusive sub enclousures, and I would be really happy with one that went in that little slot on the right side of the trunk above the battery.

If I got the amp and the sub, how would I wire it to the existing head unit? Would this even work with the stock "Business CD" head unit? As you can probably tell, I'm an Audio newbie, so I need some help!

Any suggestions/comments/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

-Jeff (giambi77)

Last edited by giambi77; 11-12-2002 at 12:19 AM.
giambi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:42 AM   #2
drgalleg

My Ride: '02 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drgalleg Send a message via Yahoo to drgalleg
Re: Getting into some I.C.E.

Hey Jeff,

I've seen some posts on this forum of people selling pre-fabricated enclosures to fit over that space above the battery. Its not so big, so at the most you'd be able to fit a 10" sub. Mind you, not all subs would work in those enclosures because of the limited amount of airspace. It all depends on the sub.

To get it to work w/ the existing headunit, buy an RCA convertor and tap into the speaker leads to the existing subs (this is the signal AFTER the HK amp). Then run the RCA cables from the convertor to your new sub amp. Power that up and voila..

Quote:
Originally posted by giambi77

Basically, I am wondering which of the JL Audio subs I should get, and what Amp I should get to power the sub. I don't want any obtrusive sub enclousures, and I would be really happy with one that went in that little slot on the right side of the trunk above the battery.

If I got the amp and the sub, how would I wire it to the existing head unit? Would this even work with the stock "Business CD" head unit? As you can probably tell, I'm an Audio newbie, so I need some help!

Any suggestions/comments/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

-Jeff (giambi77)
drgalleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 01:24 PM   #3
fuschnicken
][D ][ ][V][ ][D

My Ride: Breyton 3
Send a message via AIM to fuschnicken Send a message via MSN to fuschnicken
For what you're asking for, you would have to have a custom enclosure (must likely fiberglass) made to fit that space above the battery. Not cheap.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:36 PM   #4
giambi77

My Ride: OB 2001 330ci
Send a message via AIM to giambi77
Thanks for the informative responses so far; I'll have to look more into finding enclosures that would fit in the trunk space.

If I found a decent 10" sub, with around.....150-200 watts RMS, and I happened to find the trunk enclousure for it, would I still need another amp?
giambi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 01:31 AM   #5
Pmmeke
modder fokker

My Ride: E46/E92M3/E60 525d
Send a message via ICQ to Pmmeke
dont think 200 watt is enough

bimmers are realy very good sealed with steel

You need at least a good power amplifier for 1 woofer 6OO watt at 2 ohm installed
Pmmeke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 09:08 AM   #6
drgalleg

My Ride: '02 325Ci
Send a message via AIM to drgalleg Send a message via Yahoo to drgalleg
Yes - the stock HK/nonHK amp probably does not pump out that much power to drive an aftermarket sub.

As for how much power - its a misconception. Yes, typically more is better, however you want to find the sweet spot given your particular subs' specs. ie: if the sub can handle 150-200 RMS, get a 300 amp. A bit more power will allow you to turn down the gain on the amp and let a cleaner signal come through. While it IS possible to put too much power into a sub (ie; driving 1000watts to a 8" sub w/ 100 RMS handling), typically subs blow due to distortion in the signal, not too much power.

Quote:
Originally posted by giambi77
Thanks for the informative responses so far; I'll have to look more into finding enclosures that would fit in the trunk space.

If I found a decent 10" sub, with around.....150-200 watts RMS, and I happened to find the trunk enclousure for it, would I still need another amp?
drgalleg is offline   Reply With Quote