E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum

Bavarian Soundwerks' Mobile Electronics Forum
Have all your A/V and electronics questions answered here. Ipods, A/V, Radar Detectors Oh My!
Sponsored by Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-27-2012, 08:02 AM   #1
Multibimmer

My Ride: 2004 325i
Coax vs. component rear speakers?

After doing a lot of research here on the subject, I'm taking the following approach toward upgrading the stereo in my daughter's 04 325i, the goal of which is to get the best improvement in sound quality for the smallest outlay of cash:

1. Stay with stock head unit
2. Replace the amp with a 4-channel aftermarket unit
3. 6-1/2" component speakers in the front
4. Sound deadening material in the doors
5. Front mid-bass drivers mounted in baffles, with a hole cut in the doors to provide the driver access to the air space inside the door

Which brings me to my question. In the write-up on the bimmerfest wiki, Jsr826 recommends replacing the rear deck speakers with coax units, and disconnecting the tweeters in the rear doors. But I've also gotten a recommendation to use component speakers in the back (thus retaining the use of tweeters int he rear doors), as opposed to coax. I'm a little uneasy about disconnecting the tweeters in the rear doors, and relying on the rear deck speakers for the high frequencies from the back part of the cabin, plus a component system would give me an excuse to take the rear panels off and installing sound deadening material in the rear doors. But on the other hand, just popping a pair of coax speakers in the rear deck is a lot simpler. Any recommendations as to the pros and cons of the two approaches? Thanks.

Last edited by Multibimmer; 04-27-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Multibimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 04-29-2012, 04:43 AM   #2
Arty

My Ride: 1999 328i
The front door speakers will consume a lot of your time. Ignore the rears, leave then stock for fill in.
Arty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 09:50 AM   #3
poopfacekillah

My Ride: 11 X5 35D, 02 330XI
I generally do components in the front, coax in the back. You will hear more sound as a driver. Plus, if you install subs, there will likely be some distortion in the rear anyways.
poopfacekillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 03:55 PM   #4
Multibimmer

My Ride: 2004 325i
Thanks, it sounds like coax for the rear deck is the way to go.

"The front door speakers will consume a lot of your time"

Arty,

Truer words were never spoken! Worked on those suckers all lask weekend, and I'm still not done. But I don't have the luxury of ignoring the rear deck speakers, since they crackly like crazy at the slightest whiff of volume.
Multibimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 04:53 PM   #5
poopfacekillah

My Ride: 11 X5 35D, 02 330XI
Even alot of the people participating the shootouts like IASCA don't really focus on the rear speakers unless they are in a SQ class. Granted this info is a little dated as it has been 15 years since I did a competition.

That being said, a little sound deadening never hurt anyone, so if you want to take the time, I'm sure either one will sound amazing.
poopfacekillah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions
J&T Distributing

My Ride: BMW
agreed, spend you time, money, and effort on doing the front as good as you can.

for the rear just leave them stock(except you said yours were toast), Coax, or dont use any at all.....

LATEST DYNAVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1044105
DYNAVIN FAQ:http://www.jandtdistributing.com/pages/faq-links
///AVIN INFO: http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=1015704
TO BUY http://jandtdistributing.com
jeffb325@NavigationSolutions is offline   Reply With Quote