E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-05-2016, 08:15 PM   #1
DoctorHoon

My Ride: 2001 330i
Doc's Topasblau 330i

Well I guess I've amassed enough material to start my build thread so here goes...

If you missed my post in the new member introductions, earlier this year my neighbor upgraded to an F30 328i and had to part ways with his trusty E46. I plied it off him for the princely sum of $2,700

Here she sits as I bought her:

As you can see, in great shape, and bonus roof rack! Unfortunately it wasn't without issues. The fuel pump and battery were on their way out, and the electronic trunk latch wasn't working.

_

After a couple of surprisingly easy fixes I was in business! I took a month or two to enjoy my new whip, but quickly became dissatisfied with my stereo. 6-CD changers were the bees knees back in the day, but today they don't cut it. I wanted to make the most of my H/K system, plus it took up a bunch of space in the trunk.

You can see in the second picture how I wired the OEM aux input into the bottom of the ashtray. Pretty proud of how it turned out, especially considering how difficult the ashtray liner's high-temp fiber-reinforced plastic was to drill through without screwing up hole locations. I also added a flush-mount dual USB charger for extra modernization. Now those Anjunabeats are ripping loud and clear!

Next I chased down a leak to my sunroof drain, and messed up my A-pillar fabric while I was fixing it. Grabbed some spray adhesive and tried to lay it back on as best I could.

Tightened up the fabric a bit where it was sagging.

_

Then I noticed my windshield cowl was in rough shape. Got this done quickly one evening, but not quickly enough... many mosquito bites were suffered. Pleased with the results though!

I had a license plate light burn out, so I figured I might as well go LED. I was afraid the 6000K Sylvania Zevos would look a bit ricey, but it came out as a very pure white and I'm pleased with how it turned out.

Finally, I'll leave you with a couple glam shots.

Looking mint after a wash Wish I could always keep it this clean but I work part time on a construction site right now.

Thanks to all of the E46Fanatics community for inspiration and information! I've lurked this forum since I was 16 and wishing I could cop a BMW and not drive my parents' minivan. I just graduated college and the dream is a reality!

As far as the future goes, I'm trying to pretty much restore her and then go a little OEM+ with some sweet performance goodies under the skin. Mod progress will be a little slow until I get a real job. On that note, if anyone is looking to hire a hard-working, capable, and eager-to-learn mechanical engineer in the Twin Cities area shoot me a PM

I'm doing my CCV sometime in the next few weeks, hopefully I can cut down on my oil consumption and make sure my engine doesn't get messed up once the cold hits. I'll let you know how that goes.

Peace out for now!
DoctorHoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Ads by Google

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 10-26-2016, 05:01 PM   #2
DoctorHoon

My Ride: 2001 330i
Just did a big pre-winter service. Took advantage of some nice weather up at my grandpa's cabin to replace the CCV, oil filter housing gasket, upper and lower intake boots, and spark plugs (all OEM + NGK). New gaskets for the intake manifold and throttle body, cleaned out the throttle body and ICV as well. Got about 10% improvement in highway MPG right off the bat, which was pleasantly surprising. We will see if that lasts, as well as what my oil consumption is going forward.

Tight fit, but any garage space is better than none!

There was one snag... I stripped the f*ck out of the bolt used to release the serpentine tensioner. Thankfully I was able to clean it up and tap a hex socket into what was left. Caused a bit of a nervous moment getting the belt back on but it went without a hitch. Good thing I was planning on replacing belts and tensioners in the spring anyway!

DoctorHoon is offline   Reply With Quote