E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > E46 BMW > The Showroom

The Showroom
This is the place to show off your BMW to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it. If you need a picture of something on a coupe, sedan, convertible or touring you will probably find it here!

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-24-2008, 05:33 AM   #141
Søreng

My Ride: 05 Mysticblue Coupé
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big D Cro View Post
He's using HDR technique. Basically, he took few pictures of the same location with different exposure values (some pictures are darker, some are lighter), and the he combined them together in some image processing software which supports HDR (Photomatix for example). The main goal is to get a wider dynamic range, so that you can see details in dark and light areas of the picture. Without HDR, this is practically impossible.
This HDR technique... Can I also do this with my camera?
Søreng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 06:54 AM   #142
Big D Cro

My Ride: E34 525i M50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Søreng View Post
This HDR technique... Can I also do this with my camera?

I don't know. Which camera do you have ? Seriously, you don't need some profi DSLR cameras with expensive objectives. You can use plain point-and-shoot pocket camera IF it has exposure control. What does it mean? If you can take brighter and darker pictures of the same scene, it has the expousure/shutter control (usually you switch the control dial on the camera to A, or S). Shoot 3-5 pictures of the same scene with different exposure values, and process those in some HDR software on your computer (Photomatix for example, it has free trial version). You can tamper with HDR settings in the HDR, so you can get different effects - your picture can look very vivid and real, but if you go overboard, it will look like cartoon.

Here is my example:

This is also HDR picture, put together from 3 different pictures, but I went for the real-world-look, so it doesn't look too artificial. This was taken a year ago with a non-DSLR Sony DSC H1 camera.

edit: I see that you have Canon 20d, so, you are free to hit the DSLR world :-)

Last edited by Big D Cro; 03-24-2008 at 07:02 AM.
Big D Cro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:36 AM   #143
Søreng

My Ride: 05 Mysticblue Coupé
Ah, that cleared it up a bit.. Guess I'll have to try it out.. Thanks
Søreng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:56 AM   #144
Houbi

My Ride: BMW 330Ci MII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Søreng View Post
Ah, that cleared it up a bit.. Guess I'll have to try it out.. Thanks
http://www.vanilladays.com/hdr-guide/
Old 03-24-2008, 08:40 PM   #145
Tonk

My Ride: Econobox
Send a message via AIM to Tonk
Quote:

Here is my example:

This is also HDR picture, put together from 3 different pictures, but I went for the real-world-look, so it doesn't look too artificial. This was taken a year ago with a non-DSLR Sony DSC H1 camera.

edit: I see that you have Canon 20d, so, you are free to hit the DSLR world :-)
The best kind of HDR...the real world look
Old 05-25-2008, 11:48 AM   #146
lavish619

My Ride: 325CI
Love this thread.... I'm gonna go play w/ my fujifilme
lavish619 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2008, 05:04 PM   #147
Big D Cro

How about some panning shots? If you want to add dynamics to your picture, thre's no better way
What do you need? A camera with manual settings, and a lot of practice. All DSLR's have S mode - you can adjust your shutter speed there. If you take picture with "fast shutter" (pardon my english) you freeze the moving object. If you use slow shutter speed, you can follow the motion of your moving object and get it sharp, while the static environment gets blurred. The trick is to synchronize the speed of the moving object (car) and the movement of your camera. There's one more catch - the slower the shutter, the brighter is the picture. There are no general rules how slow your shutter speed should be - it depends on the location, weather, lens etc - try it out for yourself.

Few examples (BMW related):

Old 05-25-2008, 09:29 PM   #148
Gottalovethexi

My Ride: 03 xi & 72 Bav
Send a message via AIM to Gottalovethexi
Great panning shots, kept nicely in focus
Old 05-30-2008, 04:40 PM   #149
lavish619

Great thread... after reading I went out and took some shots. Thought the slightly overcast day was good lighting for my black car.

Guess it was too dark, my flash is weak. 1st couple I used the setting A and P but don't know what they do then switched to AUTO..

Can't get the lighting right. And the darn Flag Pole looks like it's coming from my car.... All shots unedited

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Made this one my sig

Photobucket

here's the Symmetry shot

Photobucket

Oh and what's ISO stand for and mean? and is 100 a good setting for it?
Old 05-31-2008, 02:27 PM   #150
Big D Cro

Well, if you use DSLR camera, you should learn to work with Photoshop

This is my interpretation of your picture:

Old 05-31-2008, 07:10 PM   #151
lavish619

Quote:

what's DSLR?
Old 05-31-2008, 08:19 PM   #152
xtestifyx

My Ride: lol wut?
Always do google image search before asking.
Because you looked like an E-de0t to me :[
xtestifyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008, 10:42 PM   #153
Orin

My Ride: 2001 325i
I want to make love to this thread.

This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time...
Orin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 03:25 AM   #154
Keith Fusco

My Ride: 1.9CDTi Vectra-C
Quote:

That's very grainy, tbh.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:55 AM   #155
B8888KC

My Ride: Old fart E46 sedan
Quote:
How about some panning shots? If you want to add dynamics to your picture, thre's no better way
What do you need? A camera with manual settings, and a lot of practice. All DSLR's have S mode - you can adjust your shutter speed there. If you take picture with "fast shutter" (pardon my english) you freeze the moving object. If you use slow shutter speed, you can follow the motion of your moving object and get it sharp, while the static environment gets blurred. The trick is to synchronize the speed of the moving object (car) and the movement of your camera. There's one more catch - the slower the shutter, the brighter is the picture. There are no general rules how slow your shutter speed should be - it depends on the location, weather, lens etc - try it out for yourself.

Few examples (BMW related):

Holy sh!t man, those are some nice panning shots. The objects are very, very focused. Damn... I need to learn this technique. All the panning shots I've taken are either underexposed or blurry

Just to make sure, do you start focusing on the subject (press the shutter halfway) as you move your camera (and then press the shutter), or do you move your camera first, then focus? I seem to get the panning shots all wrong.

Last edited by B8888KC; 06-13-2008 at 07:00 AM.
B8888KC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 11:25 AM   #156
Big D Cro

Quote:
Originally Posted by B8888KC View Post
Just to make sure, do you start focusing on the subject (press the shutter halfway) as you move your camera (and then press the shutter), or do you move your camera first, then focus? I seem to get the panning shots all wrong.
No, I use manual focus This is what I do: I find the good spot for shooting. Then I focus on the part of the track after the apex (the car should be well in drift in there). Then I wait for the car BEFORE it enters the turn, I start to follow him so that I can synchronise the speed pf the car and speed of the camera. When car approaches the apex, I start shooting (rapid fire mode of course), and I follow the car from the turn with the camera. I get 6-7 pictures, 2-3 of them should be nice in focus.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:10 PM   #157
lavish619

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtestifyx View Post
Always do google image search before asking.
Because you looked like an E-de0t to me :[
F A G
Old 08-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #158
team bau

My Ride: former E46 owner
Hey photo gurus, I have a question. I have a pretty basic point and shoot camera (Canon SD450) so I know I'm not capable of capturing those real nice shots such as those from a DSLR. My question is regarding taking pictures (especially in low light) with angel eyes on. Every time I try, the halos always have a massive overpowering and bleeding effect. I can never get real clear definition of the rings. Any ideas? Thanks.

“Fight On!” is more than a bumper sticker slogan on a BMW in Orange County. It is a way of life, to always have faith, to passionately persevere, to never give up!
-David Baker
team bau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:32 PM   #159
freshprince2421

My Ride: 325ci
Quote:
Originally Posted by team bau View Post
Hey photo gurus, I have a question. I have a pretty basic point and shoot camera (Canon SD450) so I know I'm not capable of capturing those real nice shots such as those from a DSLR. My question is regarding taking pictures (especially in low light) with angel eyes on. Every time I try, the halos always have a massive overpowering and bleeding effect. I can never get real clear definition of the rings. Any ideas? Thanks.
who's david baker?
Old 08-19-2008, 06:31 AM   #160
Tonk

My Ride: Econobox
Send a message via AIM to Tonk
Quote:
Originally Posted by team bau View Post
Can you manually adjust your settings? If you take 3 different exposures and lace them together you can probably get the effect you're looking for. Look up HDR for more info.

Tags
steelgray_loves_weiner