E46 BMW Social Directory E46 FAQ 3-Series Discussion Forums BMW Photo Gallery BMW 3-Series Technical Information E46 Fanatics - The Ultimate BMW Resource BMW Vendors General E46 Forum The Tire Rack's Tire Wheel Forum Forced Induction Forum The Off-Topic The E46 BMW Showroom For Sale, For Trade or Wanting to Buy

Welcome to the E46Fanatics forums. E46Fanatics is the premiere website for BMW 3 series owners around the world with interactive forums, a geographical enthusiast directory, photo galleries, and technical information for BMW enthusiasts.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   E46Fanatics > Tuning & Tech > The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum

The Tire Rack's Tire & Wheel Forum
Use this forum to discuss anything in relation to wheels to tires to offsets.
Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2006, 09:48 AM   #1
LakeHaus

My Ride: '01 330cic
OEM M3 18's on 330cic w/ Sport???

I've searched threads and have seen many opinions about this swap. I'm looking for input from those who have actually done this and made it work. Pics would be great.

I have OEM M68's (225/45/17 front; 245/40/17 rear) that I want to swap to OEM M67's (225/45/18 front; 255/40/18 rear). I'm riding on stock Sport suspension.

I understand the fronts aren't a problem... Who has done this and what challenges did you overcome to make it work?

I'm willing to roll my rear fenders
Not crazy about body work to widen rear fenders but will
Is different rear tire size a feasible solution to avoid body work?

Finally, for those who live in southern VA (Norfolk, Chesapeake, VAB) - can you recommend a body shop for rolling/widening fenders if that's my only option?

Guests, get your FREE E46Fanatics.com membership to remove this ad.
Old 11-10-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
WarSong
Obey my dog

My Ride: 2007 Audi A4 3.2Q
Send a message via ICQ to WarSong Send a message via AIM to WarSong Send a message via MSN to WarSong
rolling your fenders won't be enough. get four fronts or buy aftermarket imitations with proper offsets. it's a lot easier than widening your rear fenders to accomodate a wheel.
Old 11-10-2006, 08:42 PM   #3
LakeHaus

Who has done this and what challenges did you overcome to make it work?
Old 11-13-2006, 05:53 AM   #4
LakeHaus

Bump

Bump
Old 11-13-2006, 10:16 AM   #5
Obioban

My Ride: 2005 Imola/Imola M3
Send a message via AIM to Obioban
you can run 4 fronts-- and I want 4 rears if you want to both buy a set and trade, your rears for my fronts. We could even meet to avoid shipping
Old 11-13-2006, 11:42 AM   #6
LakeHaus

PM'd you Obioban...

May be an alternative, but wanna see what others have done to make this work.
Old 11-13-2006, 06:58 PM   #7
jiggynites

My Ride: 97EK 00 E46 03 745i
I tried it about 2 weeks ago i picked up a m3 rear tire 18x9 255/40/18 just to see what i had to do to make it fit because i was def determine to make it fit.

So I put the car on the lift and fitted the wheel on the rear I then slowly lowered the car down on the lift and just as i though.... the rear fender landed right on the tire. I then got that fender rolled to the max and then fitted a 245/40/18 tire to the rim and still not even close. now the tire actually goes in but sits rigth on the inner part of the fender just riding on the flat surface of the shop it rubbed like crazy . There is basically no way to make it fit without rubbing the offset is just to much for our fenders. only way I possibly think of is to have no one ever sit on the rear or ever add any weight to your trunk have the rear as high as possible and avoid big dips all day because one dip will rip your rear fenders apart . but at the end its not worth it. so im sticking with my 4 18x8 front m3 wheels until i do the rear wide fender conversion.

btw this is on a coupe with tein suspension on a 4dr i think is harder since the rear is a bit less agressive than the coupe.
Old 11-14-2006, 09:32 AM   #8
LakeHaus

Yikes!!! This doesn't look too promising... how 'bout some pics from those who did the work to fit the stock M67 rears???
Old 11-14-2006, 12:11 PM   #9
Erick Sermon

My Ride: 2000 323Ci
you're better bet is to get staggered rims other than M3 rims

its just way too much hassle for oem rims
Erick Sermon is offline   Reply With Quote